Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Cobbling together a T-72B?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Cobbling together a T-72B?

Old 10-18-2021, 04:28 PM
BorisS1990

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cobbling together a T-72B?

Just a question for those who might be more knowledgeable on about all the different details in T-72 variants.

If I were to take the hull of a HL T-72, which as far as I can tell is either modeled after an original production T-72 Ural, or a T-72M export model, due to the lack of composite armor on the front turret, and lack of radiation lining.

And the turret off a HL T-90, which still has a cast turret but with all the upgrades like radiation lining and composite armor.

Could I combine them to get pretty close to a early T-72B? Like this:

Early T-72 hull, late "T-72" turret. Strip off all the T-90 stuff, slap Kontakt-1 bricks all over, ignore the incorrect tracks (unless someone makes proper metal T-72 tracks in 1/16 that I'm not aware of), and you should basically have an early T-72B right?

I love the look of the early ERA bricks plastered all over a soviet tank. They look like little armadillos.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:44 PM
tankme

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BorisS1990 View Post
Just a question for those who might be more knowledgeable on about all the different details in T-72 variants.

If I were to take the hull of a HL T-72, which as far as I can tell is either modeled after an original production T-72 Ural, or a T-72M export model, due to the lack of composite armor on the front turret, and lack of radiation lining.

And the turret off a HL T-90, which still has a cast turret but with all the upgrades like radiation lining and composite armor.

Could I combine them to get pretty close to a early T-72B?

Early T-72 hull, late "T-72" turret. Strip off all the T-90 stuff, slap Kontakt-1 bricks all over, ignore the incorrect tracks (unless someone makes proper metal T-72 tracks in 1/16 that I'm not aware of), and you should basically have an early T-72B right?

I love the look of the early ERA bricks plastered all over a soviet tank. They look like little armadillos.
From what I'm reading, having the smoke dischargers on the side of the turret like that makes this a later B version.

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/T-72...s_and_variants

So I'm a little confused as to what you are seeking. Are you just looking for a tank with Kontact-1 ERA or specifically a "B" model with ERA?

Are you aware that Trumpeter makes a 1/16 T-72B and a B1 model?

The Trumpeter B version looks to be a late version B model as the smoke dischargers or on one side of the turret and not in the standard A location.
Russian T-72B MBT 00924-1/16 Series-TRUMPETER?china?
Russian T-72B1 MBT (w/kontakt-1 reactive armor) 00925-1/16 Series-TRUMPETER?china?

Armoured Models makes a Kontact-1 ERA kit for the Heng Long tank:

https://www.rctanklegion.com/product...kit-3d-printed

Here is some food for thought. These are comparisons between the Trumpeter T-72B1 upper fitted to an Heng Long R/C lower and a regular Heng Long T-72 upper. You can check out the differences for yourself:

I've actually ordered a set of the brash Trumpeter PE grills from RCTank.de to add to my Heng Long.

RMSH tracks on the left by Attracks and the Heng Long metal T-90 style tracks on the right.

Last edited by tankme; 10-18-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:23 AM
Crius

Received 149 Likes on 131 Posts

Are the RMSH tracks correct for a T-72?
Old 10-19-2021, 09:20 AM
tankme

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
Are the RMSH tracks correct for a T-72?
Yes. They were the original type found on the T-55, the T-62, and the T-72. The T-55 moved to the OMSH tracks and the T-72 started using the T-90 tracks later in it's service life.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:25 PM
BorisS1990

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thanks tankme. I actually had known that Trumpeter made kits of the B and totally forgot about it
Seems that would be the easiest route to go. Plus more detail than the HL molds from the looks of it.

I guess what I meant by early was just a T72B with Kontakt-1 era flat on the turret. I know some later models had Kontakt-5. I'm not well versed on all the differences. Just had a particular lookin mind I wanted.

Also as an aside, I think the OMSh tracks were the original design for the T-55 and 62. later once the T-72s started being produced with the RMSh tracks, they just started fitting them to the 55 and 62 as well.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:07 PM
tankme

Yes, I stated it backwards for the T55/T62. They had the OMSH type first and upgraded to the RMSH type later. The Trumpeter does have better details than using the HL and upgrading it with the Kontakt-1 from Armoured Models. The T-90 uses the Kontakt-5 triangle shaped ERA.