Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Older 1/16 Panther Tank tries to shoot, but can't

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Older 1/16 Panther Tank tries to shoot, but can't

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 04:40 PM
aj_chicago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Older 1/16 Panther Tank tries to shoot, but can't

I bought one of these (Heng Long) for my son back in the early 90s and found this one at Goodwill. Thought it was a dud, but found I put "dud" batteries in the RC unit! IT WORKS! Everything tries to work, but it won't fire 6mm airsoft ammo. Every time I try, the light lights, it clicks, it fires, but nothing comes out. I tilt it forward and the BB rolls out of the barrel. This happens every time. It seems the BB is making it to the barrel, but for some reason is not being propelled. Looked at disassembly on Youtube and see it's not a big deal. Also see there are spare airsoft units to replace the one in the turret with. Before I go tearing into it, does anyone have any idea what I might look for or what might be the problem? It clicks then fires (two separate sounds), but nothing comes out. What actually propels it?... air or mechanical? Wondering if there is a tube with a crack in it or something like that.

Also, if I find I need to replace the airsoft unit, is there a special one for this older tank, or will they all fit?

Last edited by aj_chicago; 10-22-2021 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added Heng Long
Old 10-21-2021, 10:12 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by aj_chicago
I bought one of these for my son back in the early 90s and found this one at Goodwill. Thought it was a dud, but found I put "dud" batteries in the RC unit! IT WORKS! Everything tries to work, but it won't fire 6mm airsoft ammo. Every time I try, the light lights, it clicks, it fires, but nothing comes out. I tilt it forward and the BB rolls out of the barrel. This happens every time. It seems the BB is making it to the barrel, but for some reason is not being propelled. Looked at disassembly on Youtube and see it's not a big deal. Also see there are spare airsoft units to replace the one in the turret with. Before I go tearing into it, does anyone have any idea what I might look for or what might be the problem? It clicks then fires (two separate sounds), but nothing comes out. What actually propels it?... air or mechanical? Wondering if there is a tube with a crack in it or something like that.

Also, if I find I need to replace the airsoft unit, is there a special one for this older tank, or will they all fit?
Would help to know what brand of tank you have?
Old 10-21-2021, 11:34 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Shouldn't matter what brand the tank is, the airsoft units are pretty much all the same. There have been a couple of minor modifications over the years but they really haven't changed much. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that your problem is the Rubber seal. Once that seal goes it does exactly what you're talking about, it fires but then the BB just rolls out the end of the barrel.

As for how they work, It's a combination of mechanical and Air. The little motor pulls the spring-loaded Piston back until it comes off the end of the rack gear and then it slams forward, creating air pressure that drives the BB down the barrel. I have a video somewhere that shows the insides and how everything works. If you want to see that, I can post a link when I get home from work tonight. I've taken quite a few apart and sometimes you can repair them but most times you can't. The good news is that a brand-new Airsoft unit only costs about 10 bucks.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:52 AM
Crius

I have to admit that I'm not very good with computers, and I still haven't figured out how to post a YouTube link from my phone. So, if you want to see the video on Airsoft units, go to YouTube and in the search box enter, "let's take apart an airsoft unit". It should be the first video to come up, and the YouTube channel you're looking for is titled, "Gary Hoff". If you look around the channel you'll find a lot of tank videos that may be of help to you. And before anyone criticizes, my YouTube channel is NOT monetized and I don't make any money from it. I enjoy making videos and I like the fact that I might be able to help out a fellow tanker from time to time. Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
aj_chicago (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 01:49 PM
aj_chicago

Thanks, Crius! That's what I needed and need. Someone who knows the mechanism and to actually take a look at it! Thanks! Heading there now. It's a "vintage" Heng Long, by the way. Had one just like it in the early 90s.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:12 PM
aj_chicago

Originally Posted by Crius
I have to admit that I'm not very good with computers, and I still haven't figured out how to post a YouTube link from my phone. So, if you want to see the video on Airsoft units, go to YouTube and in the search box enter, "let's take apart an airsoft unit". It should be the first video to come up, and the YouTube channel you're looking for is titled, "Gary Hoff". If you look around the channel you'll find a lot of tank videos that may be of help to you. And before anyone criticizes, my YouTube channel is NOT monetized and I don't make any money from it. I enjoy making videos and I like the fact that I might be able to help out a fellow tanker from time to time. Hope that helps.
I'm GREAT with computers!... but don't know much about tanks. That YouTube video was just what the Dr. ordered. Think I'll go looking for a replacement before I even get into it. Any suggestions as to where I may find one? I see something on eBay, but not sure they are "standard" fit. Was about to buy a recoil one until I asked a question about it. Listing didn't say anything about recoil. Well, maybe I ought to remove it to compare to what's listed out there.

Is this thing pictured what I need? Looks like what's in your video.

Last edited by aj_chicago; 10-22-2021 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:52 PM
Crius

I get mine here.

https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...ft-firing-unit
Old 10-22-2021, 03:05 PM
Crius

Do you know what tank you have? If it's what they call the Pantiger it has the Panther turret, and that has a few issues, like transferring parts to put in a new unit. I have videos on that if you need them, and Imex/Taigen has videos at the taigen tanks youtube channel.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:18 PM
aj_chicago

Well, I got it apart. It was not quite as simple as videos I've seen of what are evidently "newer" models. There aren't any 2 and 3 prong connectors on this one. Everything except the large connector is soldered. The way it is attached to the barrel is different, too. Had to totally disassemble the barrel to get the old one out. Good news it that it looks just like the one you demonstrated and what I see for sale. Ordering one. Of course, the all come from China, unless I want to pay a premium. Just hope the don't come by boat! I only hope I can get it back together when it comes. Took pictures. Hope they're good enough.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:58 PM
aj_chicago

Do you know what tank you have? If it's what they call the Pantiger it has the Panther turret, and that has a few issues, like transferring parts to put in a new unit. I have videos on that if you need them, and Imex/Taigen has videos at the taigen tanks youtube channel.

Went back and updated post. Heng Long Panther... the number 3819 on the turret. OLD. Has no 2 or 3 wire connectors, just solder connections. Had to really dismantle the thing to get the shooter out. Got the exact replacement. I am sure these with extra wires would work, but I figured that for "safety's sake" I'd get the exact replacement and pay almost double. Any videos of Panther or Pantiger disassembly/assembly videos would be appreciated. Bet I need em! Lol.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:57 AM
Crius

Once you get 10 posts you can post a photo and then I'll be sure, but that old with a panther turret it has to be a pantiger, probably with an RX-14 board. If you're sure it's a panther turret the elevation is a bit different from most airsoft tanks. Most have the elevation/depression (e/d) behind the airsoft unit and it uses a tab on the back of the AS unit to raise and lower the main gun. In the panther it has a kind of ball and rail system with a rail that has to be added to the side of the unit. Imex units may have the rail, not sure. Anyway, if the new unit has no rail you'll have to bring it over from the original, as well as a small piece of the feed shoot for the BBs. I did a how-to series on this, five videos, three short and two over 10 minutes, but I haven't published them. If you want to see them I can post links to them here, but since they're still unpublished you'll only be able to access them through the links in this thread. Let me know if you want me to post the links.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:26 PM
aj_chicago

Once you get 10 posts you can post a photo and then I'll be sure, but that old with a panther turret it has to be a pantiger, probably with an RX-14 board. If you're sure it's a panther turret the elevation is a bit different from most airsoft tanks. Most have the elevation/depression (e/d) behind the airsoft unit and it uses a tab on the back of the AS unit to raise and lower the main gun. In the panther it has a kind of ball and rail system with a rail that has to be added to the side of the unit. Imex units may have the rail, not sure. Anyway, if the new unit has no rail you'll have to bring it over from the original, as well as a small piece of the feed shoot for the BBs. I did a how-to series on this, five videos, three short and two over 10 minutes, but I haven't published them. If you want to see them I can post links to them here, but since they're still unpublished you'll only be able to access them through the links in this thread. Let me know if you want me to post the links.
Ya, I was gonna post a picture and ran into the 10 post thing that wouldn't let me.

It has "the tab" that sticks out from the AS unit and contacts the eccentric lifting gear for E/D... no rails. I guess I'm calling it a Panther because that's what I see them call it in videos and pictures online. Is it not? I think all it says on it is Heng Long on the bottom and the number (decal or paint) 3819 on the turret.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:23 PM
Crius

Click image for larger version

Name:	I1v44Y4.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2271021

Does it look like this?

Last edited by Crius; 10-23-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:35 PM
Jarlath

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

HL 3819 is the Pantiger.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:29 PM
aj_chicago

Attachment 2271021

Does it look like this?
Well, it's disassembled now, but ya. I think that's it. Anyone got any "reassembly" instructions? Lol. I tool some pics and made notes as to where screws and washers go, but I am at a loss as to how to begin. I had to completely disassemble the barrel to get the old shooting mechanism out and trying to figure how it goes back together. Trying to do it without unsoldering things. Most connections are not pin and clip, but solder connections in this thing.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:32 PM
aj_chicago

Crius, point me to your videos... PLEASE! I am gonna need em for sure. ... and thanks for being there and making them.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:13 PM
Crius

Not sure if the panther videos will help, but you might start here

Once you get to my channel you can look around for more, first click on "videos" and the panther project videos are all about six months ago.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:37 PM
aj_chicago

Not sure if the panther videos will help, but you might start here

Once you get to my channel you can look around for more, first click on "videos" and the panther project videos are all about six months ago.
Thanks! For some reason I am not being notified of update posts or I'd have been here sooner. Gotta check into that.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:49 PM
aj_chicago

I don't get it. USER CP showed no subscriptions. Looked at "old" subscriptions and there was my one and only thread. After looking at it, magically, it was subscribed to again. Hmmmmmm...