Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Next Gen ELMod Boards Coming Out

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Next Gen ELMod Boards Coming Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 03:14 PM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
Here's what I don't understand - I have several ibu2 pros and I absolutely love them. On that board, it's a simple stick command, just press the left stick up and left and hold it for 5 seconds and that will turn the momentum on. The momentum also works pretty good on that, but not quite as good as the El mod with the gear changes and all that. And when I don't want the momentum feature, upper left for 5 seconds and I've got complete and total control. I don't understand why it was so difficult for them to keep that feature. Or put it back. It's been proven that it can be done, so what's the problem? If any of those guys ever bothered to read any of the forums they would know this. If any of our Forum members personally know any of these guys, like Ivano or the guy that makes the el mods, I think we would all appreciate it if you would contact him and pass that along. It can be done, so why aren't we doing it? And if anyone has an ibu2 Pro that has been proven to work well and wants to sell it, just send me a private message, I'm always looking for those. And to be fair, if I don't want it, Rich Johnson will.
These photos are from my IBU2U. Do these settings not work?

Old 11-30-2021, 10:41 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Ronnie: Good point there. I never use 3S batteries, so I did not consider that issue. Anyway, the SFR 1 D does not need any fan and in the SFR 1 HL it says it might need a fan, but I have never seen anybody fitting it. But is true that if you keep changing the voltage the resistors may need to change too. But... do you really need 3S in WW2 tanks?

Crius: You nailed it!: That is exactly what I mean, to be able to disable the inertias as you do in the IBU or as I can do in the Beiers, just flicking an switch. I wrote several times to the guy in charge at Elmod willing to have this feature and he refused to. And I have seen more people in german forums complaining against it, but he does nothing.

Anyway, I still consider the Elmod a great board, and much better than most alternatives out there... Just let me remove inertias, improve the sound quality a bit, and add some more light outputs and would be awesome.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:43 AM
jha13

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie42
Would bet that his main market is Germany..
Not really.
Most use IBU2 or HL-TK-6.0/7.0.
For models with many functions, there is no way around SGS or Beier.
With the SFR-1-HL, Beier has HL plug-copatible electronics with the range of functions of the SFR-1-D.
Mr Kusch (the owner of Elmod) sometimes has his own ideas about what the market wants.
For example, the extension for the ELMOD FX to use SBus was developed very late.
All the others like IBU, SGS or Beier have been able to do this for a long time.

I have six Beier SFR-1-D in operation.
Four of them are used with 3S, none has a fan.

It makes sense to use a current limiter for Led,
these are available for a few cents and you can use voltages up to 24 volts.

Last edited by jha13; 12-01-2021 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:26 PM
ronnie42

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I dont mind Mr Kush having ideas about what the market wants, it would be a sad world if we were restricted in choice.
I think he wins due to the ease of using the software functions and letting us poor Mac users play programming tank modules. I also have six boards (Elmod ones) is that a draw?
His views on momentum / inertia are just mimicking the real world, whats the average stopping distance of a real tank, truck or car ?
Old 12-01-2021, 09:04 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Tanks have brakes too...going pretty slow you can actually stop really quick.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:59 PM
jha13

... whats the average stopping distance of a real tank, truck or car ?
It's a question of your mind and reaction.... those who brake later drive faster for longer.

Mac=Apple=iPhone is a good keyword:
Elmod only makes a app for Android.
I asked Mr. Kusch if there will also be an app for the iPhone?
The answer: there are too few iPhone users, it's not worth it.
I received a similar answer to the question about SBus, iBus and Graupner SUMD.

It is difficult to leave well-trodden paths to go new ways.
With the Elmod FX it did not succeed.
There is nothing really new, but you now pay more for fewer features.

But to each his own and to each as he wishes...
Old 12-02-2021, 12:00 PM
ronnie42

Here is a picture of the new board sitting in a Panzer 1 hull and the Fusion pro to give a size comparison. New board has the s-bus and FX for servos and lights plugged in. Should be fine for space in the small tank, just need to sort out a gearbox like one of the Tamiya plastic kit ones as it’s going to be lightweight and a house runner if metal tracks are a problem.

Old 12-02-2021, 12:27 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jha13
It's a question of your mind and reaction.... those who brake later drive faster for longer.

Mac=Apple=iPhone is a good keyword:
Elmod only makes a app for Android.
I asked Mr. Kusch if there will also be an app for the iPhone?
The answer: there are too few iPhone users, it's not worth it.
I received a similar answer to the question about SBus, iBus and Graupner SUMD.

It is difficult to leave well-trodden paths to go new ways.
With the Elmod FX it did not succeed.
There is nothing really new, but you now pay more for fewer features.

But to each his own and to each as he wishes...
Yea that is a strange one. Overall Android is around 70-75% of the world market so he isn't too far off there, however the bigger reason for no app is most likely Apple's BT policies, the same reason lots of apps are wrote for Android and not Apple (same reason drones have a bunch of Android stuff too) is that the BT is a lot less restricted on it I hear. I'm not 100% on that but from what I've got over the years with drone BT stuff is that Android is just more BT friendly.
For the Sbus stuff that is because it actually required a physical hardware upgrade vs running on equipment for PWM/PPM I would think. The Sbus signal requires an inverter I'm pretty sure and there are non inverted and inverted Sbus signals as well depending on the brand. I know the early FRSky was non inverted (like Futaba) but eventually had receivers with both inverted and non inverted signals. In the drone world we ended up getting boards with CPUs that could handle inversion natively so this became an issue of the past. I would guess that is why there was an adapter board made as that is much easier to break out an Sbus signal to PPM/PWM than adding a component to a finished build. Once again I could and probably am wrong here but just something that also the drone guys had to overcome a very long time ago. For drones we fight over grams of weight, using 8+ cables was not only a pain but extra weight and space too as the receiver needed to have all those outputs. Sbus/CRSF/iBus/Serial have been a legit replacement for PWM for a long time but honestly that isn't where the hobby is atm.
Us forum members are the most advanced tankers. We are the ones that like our hobby so much we come to help others and see how others do their work. We are on top of our game as much as we can. As such, we are NOT the norm, especially for our hobby. Most tankers just want to shoot a bit of airsoft and drive around. Getting a tank in the box and hooking it up to the computer and programming both a board and transmitter puts off MOST of the target audience for tanks. That is the most likely reason IMO for not having those features is time spent vs reward. It sucks, but it is a business after all. I feel his pain, I wanted to add a bunch of features ourselves but we would of ended up with a board too complicated for most users to enjoy out of the box which is the goal for a manufacturer.
The following users liked this post:
Ex_Pat_Tanker (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 03:09 AM
ronnie42

Imex -Eric is correct about having a board that is setup out of the box. Just imagine if your new smart phone arrived and all that worked was the on -off switch and having a blank screen waiting to be programmed🥱. Now I have the s-bus for the Elmod I have options for 16ch and 44 options for controlling features and sounds, not sure I will use many of the extra settings. One plus point is one cable for the s-bus if space is tight like in the Panzer 1.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:21 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

It doesn't really matter what the reasons are that they removed the feature that lets you turn off the momentum, the bottom line is that I absolutely refuse to buy a board where I have to drive with momentum all the time. If I can't turn the momentum off, I will not buy that board, and I know there are a lot of other guys out there that are just like me. To me, this means that the manufacturers of these boards are missing out on a lot of sales.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:04 AM
ronnie42

Hi Crius I had a search for German online tank shops , 2 big ones sell Elmod, and they sell the IBU but not the Bieir ones. Perhaps Bieir are thro the RC truck sellers . Suppose most Europeans must have different thoughts on the way an rc tank drives ?
Old 12-03-2021, 05:52 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Suppose most Europeans must have different thoughts on the way an rc tank drives ?
There are different tanks and as a member already pointed you, there are some that can brake instantly, and that is not possible with Elmod
I guess with Elmod we drive the tank how Mr Elmod wants (and then, we can add even more inertia and momentum to his way) and meanwhile with Beier we can adjust it exactly how we want it. And even more, use those boards not only in tanks but in all kind of vehicles, so if I want to make a road train that it takes a lot of brake, we can do it. And if we want to make something that stops in the spot, we can do it too. As another example I am currently building a boat and when sailing, the water has currently enough inertia. With the Elmod I am not able to sail my boat, sometimes I need to be able to change the way fast and I cant, besides I cannot disable the gear system neither. With the Beier, I can.

Man, you like the Elmods and that is great, I like them too, but defending that we are not free to use the board the way we want it, has no sense. Some post ago you were talking about freedom, well, that is what we lack with Elmod, and as Crius points, there are loads of people who sometimes need to disable the inertia, and many people more who sold the board after realizing they cannot drive how they want/need.

Here I did two super fast screenshots, we can adjust the throttle curves, the number of virtual gears and adjust every point on it at our will.
If that is not enough, it has 16 light outputs, every one of them can be for example a machine gun with different sound and different cadence of fire or every other function of your choice. I clicked in output 1, and there is a menu with more than 40 options for each light port

As today, in which point is Elmod superior? In the price.
Oh, and before somebody says something (it always happens) Nope, I don't work for Beier neither I get a single euro for the sales. So you can buy one million or nothing, my life will be the same and I always write everything from neutrality. If Elmod (or somebody else) releases a better and a cheaper board, I will say it, like I always do.

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 12-03-2021 at 06:00 AM.
Tankster (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 05:55 AM
Rad_Schuhart

As a side note and talking about flexibility... Today I met a guy online and we were talking about the Open Panzer board. I told him it would be great for me to have more user sounds (it has currently 12, which is not bad at all) and surprisingly his answer was that it was super easy to implement them and he will write the code for me tonight. That is... unbelievable. Amazing! Hence I don't understand why Elmod refuses to implement functions than many people request.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:05 AM
jha13

Hi Crius I had a search for German online tank shops , 2 big ones sell Elmod, and they sell the IBU but not the Bieir ones. Perhaps Bieir are thro the RC truck sellers . Suppose most Europeans must have different thoughts on the way an rc tank drives ?
Elmod does not have its own shop,
IBU does not have a shop either.
Therefore, both are dependent on dealers.
SGS, Aeronaut and Beier have their own shop.
Therefore they don't need the dealers and have a higher added value.
Beier even gives a very good discount if you buy several boards, no one else does that.

Yes, most Europeans have a different idea of how a tank drives - realistically.
Just like our tanks look realistic.
Not so worn out and just primed in red with chalk marks.
We don't have to shoot around with little plastic balls either.

Last edited by jha13; 12-03-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:42 AM
ronnie42

Jha13 Thanks for the info about Bieir selling direct, and multi buy discounts. A problem for us in the UK is that some vendors are reluctant to export as we out of the EU .

Rctank .de are trying to work around the extra problems and paperwork, last 2 purchases have been hassle free and no custom charges .

Rad your screen shots may be of use to windows users but as I said before not much use to me if the latest software is not compatible with Apple computers.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:23 AM
jha13

Jha13 Thanks for the info about Bieir selling direct, and multi buy discounts. A problem for us in the UK is that some vendors are reluctant to export as we out of the EU .

Rctank .de are trying to work around the extra problems and paperwork, last 2 purchases have been hassle free and no custom charges .

Rad your screen shots may be of use to windows users but as I said before not much use to me if the latest software is not compatible with Apple computers.

But this is not a one-way problem.
If I order from Forgebear, I also have to pay 19% import VAT.

For MacOs there is the possibility to run Windows or Windows programs.
You can't use every software with a "Mac", you already decided that when you bought it.
Therefore, this is not an argument against Beier...
Elmod does not make an app for IOS either...
But the discussion is slowly going round in circles.
We will not find a universal solution.
I will continue to see what I get for my money,
and elmod doesn't even come in second place.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:08 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

And 80 euro price increase for smaller size and some minor extra functions doesn't seem great value imo
Old 12-03-2021, 03:00 PM
Tankster

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I actually bought a new Windows laptop for my Beier. That’s how much I enjoy the board. Very fun to adjust the board’s settings and I love listening to all the cool sound effects. Our old laptop was archaic so I felt justified.
Still love my Elmod. It was my first “real” board that allowed custom sounds and such.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:21 AM
ronnie42

Now i just found this out, testing a new speaker and 1st go using the overlay gearbox inertia or momentum is not possible. As its the BETA version i hope Thomas does a fix , all it needs is a gradual power down to the motor after neutral stick is applied. Surprised no one has said anything about the overlay boxes or few people are using them with Elmod boards.Watch this.

Last edited by ronnie42; 12-04-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:51 AM
oldwolf75

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That is interesting. I have considered that type of gearbox but am not all that clear on the advantages and disadvantages of it. How recently was that video made? I wonder what progress elmod is having getting things working with them.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:25 AM
Tankster

This video may be totally irrelevant but it shows the inertia in my Tiger with a DKLM gearbox and Elmod Fusion Pro. At the first horn beeping sound I let off the throttle and it began to coast to a stop. The second beeping sound is when it finally came to a stop. This is completely adjustable as to how far it coasts before stopping on its own. I applied no braking at all and just let her coast to a stop. If this is irrelevant to the conversation I apologize.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:38 AM
ronnie42

Originally Posted by Tankster
This video may be totally irrelevant but it shows the inertia in my Tiger with a DKLM gearbox and Elmod Fusion Pro. At the first horn beeping sound I let off the throttle and it began to coast to a stop. The second beeping sound is when it finally came to a stop. This is completely adjustable as to how far it coasts before stopping on its own. I applied no braking at all and just let her coast to a stop. If this is irrelevant to the conversation I apologize.
https://youtu.be/DgYDhrlGiro
Tankster You are correct we still have inertia , the turn and the drive were wrong. Used the rx leads wrong way round , spectrum to flysky rx. . Only found out when i tried to slow down the turns with the tank on blocks, usb in and switched on turns were rolling on and drive dead stop. What do they say , someone who never makes a mistake has done nothing. At least the new speaker fits and is an improvement and the turn motor is a decent size even for the metal tracks. Next job paint or mark up drive socket on the board, thats another way it could go wrong.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:50 AM
Tankster

The fun is in the journey. Your tank has very good sound and I’m envious of how neat your internals are arranged.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:55 AM
ronnie42

Originally Posted by oldwolf75
That is interesting. I have considered that type of gearbox but am not all that clear on the advantages and disadvantages of it. How recently was that video made? I wonder what progress elmod is having getting things working with them.

Hi It was today testing a new speaker and gearbox.Problem was going from spectrum to flysky, Rx leads mixed up, Still worked as the turn motor is larger than the standard twin motors and was powerful enough to drive. Pic of gearbox and motors , silver one standard motor for twin setup.

Last edited by ronnie42; 12-04-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:00 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

To those with the Mac/Windows thing is an issue need to look into little Win10 tablets. I got a nice quad core with a few gigs of ram that dual boots both Win10 and Android for less than $100 a few years ago that was specifically bought for my Open Panzer tanks. I did break it a bit ago but for less than $100 and a 10" screen it was a great deal IMO. The tablet had USB host which would let you use a full sized USB port to your devices like normal. Cheap and easy fix and you can let your kids/family use it when you aren't.
Tankster (12-06-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.