Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya 1/16 Centurion photo build log.

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya 1/16 Centurion photo build log.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:34 AM
Fsttanks

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by regsbyg View Post
I know you are not mounting the side skirts but how are they attached. It looks like there are small holes to screw them on. Great job.
thanks
Dave
There are three hull supports that attach on each side of the tank’s hull. The skirts have mounting brackets on their inside sections that mate up with the supports. The skirts are then bolted to the tanks fenders. They are designed to be easy to remove.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 01-30-2022 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
regsbyg (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 09:37 AM
Fsttanks

Here is another size comparison that I was asked to post.

Below: Tamiya Centurion next to Heng Long T72.

Tamiya 1/16 Centurion next to 1/16 HL T72.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:23 AM
RichJohnson

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

Shes a big girl.
I dont have any more parking especially for a tank that big lol.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:27 AM
Fsttanks

Another comparison request. Here the Tamiya 1/16 Centurion next to a Tamiya 1/16 M51/M4.

Tamiya Centurion next to Tamiya M51/M4
Old 01-30-2022, 12:27 PM
Panther F

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Looks even better outside.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:20 PM
Fsttanks

New trials course test video up on my Instagram @ fsttanks.

Look for this cover.

Outtake photo from test video.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fsttanks:
Buckeye36 (05-29-2022), MAUS45 (02-04-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 07:26 AM
regsbyg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s nice to see screws for the side skirts have been located where they are on the real tank
dave
Old 01-31-2022, 08:38 AM
pitstain

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Also nice to see hex bolts instead of silly Phillips head screws.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:29 PM
regsbyg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I wonder how sturdy the skirts will be. I left them off of my Pershing because I was told they could lead to jamming the running gear if debris builds up.
cheers
Dave
Old 01-31-2022, 08:59 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by regsbyg View Post
Now I wonder how sturdy the skirts will be. I left them off of my Pershing because I was told they could lead to jamming the running gear if debris builds up.
cheers
Dave
The side skirts look to be fairly stout. You should have the same reliability as other tanks with skirts like the Abrams, Leopard 2, Type 10 and T72/90.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:48 AM
Fsttanks

CLOSE OUT.

Since the photo build log is done (mostly), I will be closing out this thread and starting a new one at the request of several members to provide my impressions of the Centurions build process (pros & cons), drive/handling and mechanical performance.

Hope you have enjoyed this photo build log.

ksoc (02-02-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 12:57 PM
Arie Tiele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centurion build battle led

Great blog, and really enjoy your build and comments
I do have one question however
Where did you hid your led from the battle unit so it's invisable?
I know I can mount it on top of the barrel, or inside the barrel, than I must offer the flash led
Hope you can show me where you build it
Best regards
Arie Tiele
Old 03-31-2022, 03:23 PM
RichJohnson

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

Since it was mentioned in this thread I will drop these photos here. My machinist delivered the first batch of 6 L7s I commissioned. They will be delivered this weekend at LA Tank meet to my friends who joined in on the project as soon as I put the word out that I was doing it. Mainly the intent was for Leopard 1 tanks and for upgrading other older tanks to a Nato L7. Then Tamiya announced the Centurian and I knew we were going to need more than 6 of these to accommodate the desire for IDF Sho't Meteor tanks, the pre engine upgrade to the Sho't Kal.

Fsttanks was first to request some for his projects and will be working up the install in the Tamiya Centurian kit soon.
He will be pioneering how its done because I just commissioned a standard L7 and there is plenty of length on the breech to adapt to the recoil system of any tank. I don't know what its going to require but he will figure it out.
I have commissioned 10 more barrels to start with since others heard about it and requested some. So follow my Instagram @RichJohnson_models_n_stuff for more updates.
I cant wait to see how Fsttanks works up the install.

The following 2 users liked this post by RichJohnson:
condorman994 (06-25-2022), oldwolf75 (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 04:37 PM
pitstain

Originally Posted by RichJohnson View Post
Since it was mentioned in this thread I will drop these photos here. My machinist delivered the first batch of 6 L7s I commissioned. They will be delivered this weekend at LA Tank meet to my friends who joined in on the project as soon as I put the word out that I was doing it. Mainly the intent was for Leopard 1 tanks and for upgrading other older tanks to a Nato L7. Then Tamiya announced the Centurian and I knew we were going to need more than 6 of these to accommodate the desire for IDF Sho't Meteor tanks, the pre engine upgrade to the Sho't Kal.

Fsttanks was first to request some for his projects and will be working up the install in the Tamiya Centurian kit soon.
He will be pioneering how its done because I just commissioned a standard L7 and there is plenty of length on the breech to adapt to the recoil system of any tank. I don't know what its going to require but he will figure it out.
I have commissioned 10 more barrels to start with since others heard about it and requested some. So follow my Instagram @RichJohnson_models_n_stuff for more updates.

Hi Rich,

Those are lovely, Pretty sure Daryl Turner would be super impressed with those.

I think I will need one of these to do a Stridsvagn 101/102 style build, please PM the details to get on the list.

Thank you!

Ian
Old 03-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Fsttanks

I will be picking mine up this Sat April 2 at the LA Tank Clubs monthly battle day. Can’t wait to work on the install and replace my “stop gap” hand built L7 with your full machined version. Shouldn’t be difficult given how easy the Centurion has been proving to work on.
Panther F (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 02:29 AM
Panther F

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Those barrels are SWEET! NOW to get that kit to arrive.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:09 AM
pitstain

Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
Those barrels are SWEET! NOW to get that kit to arrive.
Hopefully in the next 30 days or so, waiting on my pre-order from AAF.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:14 PM
Fsttanks

UPDATE: RichJohnson L7 barrel installed.

I finally got time to install Rich’s L7 machined aluminum barrel. As stated by Rich they need a little tweaking and finishing to fit and get working, but it really is not that hard. I understand that Rich will be sending the next batch with no tweaking needed aka “Drop In” ready or very close to drop in.

Here is Rich’s L7 installed in my Centurion. It still needs to be painted and the IR bulb installed. Personally I like the “heavier” look compared to my “stop gap” hand made barrel. I also posted a short video of the barrel going through a basic firing and movement test on Instagram @ Fsttanks.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-08-2022 at 06:23 PM.
ksoc (05-10-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 09:05 PM
afv aficionado

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Fsttanks
Looks good.
Have you had any problems with the tracks? Jhamm on RC TankWarfare has had breakages - https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...9b4f9&start=20 - 6th post down.

Mal
Old 05-08-2022, 10:48 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by afv aficionado View Post
Hi Fsttanks
Looks good.
Have you had any problems with the tracks? Jhamm on RC TankWarfare has had breakages - https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...9b4f9&start=20 - 6th post down.

Mal
I have had one link end break off (like in the page link above) early on, but the track stayed together and continues to operate normally. It was my fault and I saw it happen as I was climbing over an obstacle. The link end got caught and instead of backing off, I added more power to muscle over and......SNAP. Otherwise the tracks have been holding up well. I do slightly “baby” the throttle now a bit when driving over obstacles and in turns that pack the tracks with dirt/sand. With no spare tracks yet available from Tamiya and not knowing when there will be any, keeps my driving on the tame and predictable side. Other then the one track link the Centurion has been very reliable running.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-08-2022 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:35 AM
afv aficionado

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Cool, so drive safe to drive long? Seems I've heard that somewhere before....

Mal
Old 05-09-2022, 07:37 PM
Fsttanks

RichJohnson “L7 105mm” barrel is fully installed, painted, weathered and IR bulb installed. Ready for field use once again. I did discovered during the initial install and testing that I needed to tweak the fit a little to remove some excess play. Simple and easy if someone finds they need to do so as well.

Here is the finished product.

RichJohnson “L7 105mm” main gun installed in an early IDF themed Centurion.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:13 AM
oldwolf75

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
I have had one link end break off (like in the page link above) early on, but the track stayed together and continues to operate normally. It was my fault and I saw it happen as I was climbing over an obstacle. The link end got caught and instead of backing off, I added more power to muscle over and......SNAP. Otherwise the tracks have been holding up well. I do slightly “baby” the throttle now a bit when driving over obstacles and in turns that pack the tracks with dirt/sand. With no spare tracks yet available from Tamiya and not knowing when there will be any, keeps my driving on the tame and predictable side. Other then the one track link the Centurion has been very reliable running.

Those link ends remind me of the duckbill add ons to sherman track. Good for increasing support and tractive surface but just begging to get broken off. It seems to me, the sherman duckbills did get broken off a lot on the real tanks. Was that also true with these link ends on the real centurions? I notice they are out beyond where the track pins hold the links together, so their breaking doesnt seem to compromise function other than reducing surface to ground contact.
If such breakage was not uncommon on the real tanks, perhaps this is not a flaw but a feature for producing realism!
;-)
Old 05-10-2022, 08:00 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by oldwolf75 View Post
Those link ends remind me of the duckbill add ons to sherman track. Good for increasing support and tractive surface but just begging to get broken off. It seems to me, the sherman duckbills did get broken off a lot on the real tanks. Was that also true with these link ends on the real centurions? I notice they are out beyond where the track pins hold the links together, so their breaking doesnt seem to compromise function other than reducing surface to ground contact.
If such breakage was not uncommon on the real tanks, perhaps this is not a flaw but a feature for producing realism!
;-)
The real Centurions did not suffer from this happening. It is the Tamiya “nylon” track material that is the problem. It is reasonable strong and adequate for most users though.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:21 AM
pitstain

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
RichJohnson “L7 105mm” barrel is fully installed, painted, weathered and IR bulb installed. Ready for field use once again. I did discovered during the initial install and testing that I needed to tweak the fit a little to remove some excess play. Simple and easy if someone finds they need to do so as well.

Here is the finished product.

RichJohnson “L7 105mm” main gun installed in an early IDF themed Centurion.
What did you use for antennas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.