Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya 1/16 Centurion "post build" review.

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya 1/16 Centurion "post build" review.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:03 PM
  #26  
RichJohnson
 
RichJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,468
Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

So if someone were to produce a metal track they would likely need to make a metal idler and adjuster with it to support the heavier track.....

I can also see the serious wear your tracks are taking from the hard dirt on your tank course. That track will be polished down flat in less than year if you keep driving it there.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:19 PM
  #27  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 724
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RichJohnson View Post
So if someone were to produce a metal track they would likely need to make a metal idler and adjuster with it to support the heavier track.....

I can also see the serious wear your tracks are taking from the hard dirt on your tank course. That track will be polished down flat in less than year if you keep driving it there.
I would suspect the idler arm single thin locking “fin” would not last long with heavy metal track usage based on my past experience with idler systems and heavy metal tracks. Hopefully I am wrong and Tamiya used some high quality metal that can handle more stress than it appears it should be able to.

The tracks are wearing fast and I have actually been taking it easy on them. First order of business when spare parts become available is to buy a set or two of replacement tracks and spare links.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:48 PM
  #28  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 724
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

A few extra photos I forgot to post earlier in this thread. LA TANK CLUB 02/22 battle day “ready” table.
Tamiya 1/16 Centurion in IDF theme.

Tamiya Centurion in IDF theme.
The following users liked this post:
ksoc (02-18-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:46 AM
  #29  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 724
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

UPDATE:

I have received a few PMs asking about how the suspension and wheels are holding up so I decided to post some close up photos of their current state after 3 months of use roughly run three times a week. Have not run the tank in any mud yet only dirt and sand.

Hope these photos answer the questions.






Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-13-2022 at 10:48 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Fsttanks:
Buckeye36 (05-29-2022), cleong (05-13-2022), Conan_the_Hungarian (05-14-2022), MAUS45 (05-19-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 05:55 PM
  #30  
cleong
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 909
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

These photos could very well be mistaken for a 1:1 scale tank!

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
UPDATE:

I have received a few PMs asking about how the suspension and wheels are holding up so I decided to post some close up photos of their current state after 3 months of use roughly run three times a week. Have not run the tank in any mud yet only dirt and sand.

Hope these photos answer the questions.




The following users liked this post:
Conan_the_Hungarian (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 03:23 PM
  #31  
tankme
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Elgin, TX
Posts: 1,116
Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

Looks like DKLM RC is going to have metal tracks for the Tamiya Centurion soon.







The following users liked this post:
MAUS45 (05-19-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 06:20 AM
  #32  
jarndice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hemel Hempstead,Hertfordshire, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 820
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tankme View Post
Looks like DKLM RC is going to have metal tracks for the Tamiya Centurion soon.




The bad news is that the day of announcing the DKLM Centurion metal tracks is the day they shut the factory for at least 2 weeks due to a covid outbreak.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:37 PM
  #33  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 724
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tankme View Post
Looks like DKLM RC is going to have metal tracks for the Tamiya Centurion soon.




Keeping my fingers crossed these happen sooner then later.
The following users liked this post:
MAUS45 (05-19-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 06:13 AM
  #34  
Mr Tank A Lot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 19
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

The ‘real’ weathering is great, from the running dust it’s perfect!
Old 05-24-2022, 10:07 AM
  #35  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 724
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr Tank A Lot View Post
The ‘real’ weathering is great, from the running dust it’s perfect!
Just another reason I did not use the side skirts. All that dirt and grim build up (weathering) would be hidden and not able to be enjoyed.
The following users liked this post:
bowlman (05-24-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 03:03 PM
  #36  
bowlman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: jackson, MI
Posts: 2,130
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

105mm L7A1 Gun
MK-Modellbau 105mm L7A1 Gun

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 06-06-2022, 06:00 PM
  #37  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 724
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bowlman View Post
105mm L7A1 Gun
MK-Modellbau 105mm L7A1 Gun

Thanks
Jimmy
The temporary hand built L7 that was used in this build has been replaced with a RichJohnson 105mm L7.

RichJohnson 1/16 scale 105mm L7

Show here fully painted.


The German barrel is another good barrel option 👍 , but the RichJohnson one I used is actually more accurate IMO and designed to fit this tank better. It also has more flexibility in mounting options for other tanks as it has extra breach length added that can be left on or removed as needed to achieve the perfect fit/length. The RichJohnson version also is better if one of installing an IR bulb in the barrel or using an LED bulb for flash as the bore is slight smaller then the stock Tamiya bore and thus a more precise solid secure fit for LED bulbs.

The cost is about the same (when shipping and fee are added) but Rich is based in the US and well know for his fairness and very fast shipping. If someone is in the US and wants a beautifully 100% machined aluminum 1/16 scale 105mm L7 barrel for their Centurion or other Cold War tank then The RichJohnson barrel is the way to go IMO.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 06-06-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:46 PM
  #38  
bowlman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: jackson, MI
Posts: 2,130
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
The temporary hand built L7 that was used in this build has been replaced with a RichJohnson 105mm L7.

RichJohnson 1/16 scale 105mm L7

Show here fully painted.


The German barrel is another good barrel option 👍 , but the RichJohnson one I used is actually more accurate IMO and designed to fit this tank better. It also has more flexibility in mounting options for other tanks as it has extra breach length added that can be left on or removed as needed to achieve the perfect fit/length. The RichJohnson version also is better if one of installing an IR bulb in the barrel or using an LED bulb for flash as the bore is slight smaller then the stock Tamiya bore and thus a more precise solid secure fit for LED bulbs.

The cost is about the same (when shipping and fee are added) but Rich is based in the US and well know for his fairness and very fast shipping. If someone is in the US and wants a beautifully 100% machined aluminum 1/16 scale 105mm L7 barrel for their Centurion or other Cold War tank then The RichJohnson barrel is the way to go IMO.
Ive ordered from Rich and Von they have nice parts for the Sherman ya this was just another option for them closer to the Eu area .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 06-06-2022, 07:12 PM
  #39  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 724
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bowlman View Post
Ive ordered from Rich and Von they have nice parts for the Sherman ya this was just another option for them closer to the Eu area .
Thanks
Jimmy
Its a good option no doubt about that. The more selection we all have the better it is for our hobby.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:26 AM
  #40  
afv aficionado
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: HamiltonWaikato, NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 849
Likes: 0
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Centurion related but not 1/16th, but may be of interest? - https://www.scorpion-miniature-model...4GlwvEsZUMtFYE -

Mal
Old 06-19-2022, 04:58 PM
  #41  
Fsttanks
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 724
Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed these happen sooner then later.
The DKLM Centurion metal tracks are now available for order. I have a set ordered and keeping my fingers crossed they are the typical high quality we have come to expect from DKLM. Of course when they arrive I will test the crap out of them and post my thoughts on their performance.



Last edited by Fsttanks; 06-19-2022 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MAUS45 (06-20-2022)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.