Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Kim Olsen's MTCU. New electronics, ideal for batting.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Kim Olsen's MTCU. New electronics, ideal for batting.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 03:40 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Kim Olsen's MTCU. New electronics, ideal for battling.

Hi there, some of you were craving for an all-in-one package for IR battling, and a guy listened. This man is Kim Olsen and he sent me one of his boards which I was honored to review.

You can read my thoughts and watch some videos here:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/...m-olsens-mtcu/
Enjoy!

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 06-19-2022 at 04:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rad_Schuhart:
bowlman (06-19-2022), MAUS45 (06-20-2022), oldwolf75 (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 04:50 AM
oldwolf75

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Very impressive! I am particularly impressed with being able to control the number of main gun rounds and the kind of round represented. The demo videos show the tank moving ponderously as such a massive steel monster should.
I hope Kim is very successful with this and look forward to being able to buy some of his boards.
The following users liked this post:
Rad_Schuhart (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 11:33 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

I got the open pazer boards myself like them but this is much better sound is great really like the inter graded sound and esc's price range is fine by me for all your getting will buy when he's ready to sale .
Thanks
Jimmy
Rad_Schuhart (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 11:49 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Oh guys forgot to say, boards are available right now, so if you want some just drop him a message.

Just to be clear, like with all my reviews, I am not involved in anobody's business neither I get a single Euro for every sale, so it is not like I am trying to sell them myself, lol.

So if you want some, drop him a message, as far as I know he has some in stock right now.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:38 PM
bowlman

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
Oh guys forgot to say, boards are available right now, so if you want some just drop him a message.

Just to be clear, like with all my reviews, I am not involved in anobody's business neither I get a single Euro for every sale, so it is not like I am trying to sell them myself, lol.

So if you want some, drop him a message, as far as I know he has some in stock right now.
Whats his contact info
Thanks
jimmy
Old 06-19-2022, 12:39 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by bowlman
Whats his contact info
Thanks
jimmy
His email and link to his facebook profile are at the end of my review, the last lines I wrote.
bowlman (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 01:15 PM
Durahl

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

A question regarding the programmability - The Review mentions the capability of using up to nine Servos and two MGs - What exactly is the definition of those to MGs? 🤔

Say, in the case of an E-100 with its Auxiliary Cannon - Is it possible to substitute one of the MGs into a smaller Cannon with synchronized Flash and Recoil using one of those Servos?
I'm thinking of using something of a more beefed-up but slower cadence sound of the Saving Private Ryan 20mm Cannon 😁

Could you also maybe provide us with the dimensions of the board ( without enclosure but including the total height from using the tallest plug )?
I'd like to create a 3D Model to check if it would still fit into my ongoing project that is ( to some degree ) designed around the use of a Beier SFR-1-D.

Cheers =)
Old 06-19-2022, 08:14 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by Durahl
- What exactly is the definition of those to MGs? 🤔

Say, in the case of an E-100 with its Auxiliary Cannon - Is it possible to substitute one of the MGs into a smaller Cannon with synchronized Flash and Recoil using one of those Servos?
I'm thinking of using something of a more beefed-up but slower cadence sound of the Saving Private Ryan 20mm Cannon 😁

Could you also maybe provide us with the dimensions of the board ( without enclosure but including the total height from using the tallest plug )?
I'd like to create a 3D Model to check if it would still fit into my ongoing project that is ( to some degree ) designed around the use of a Beier SFR-1-D.

Cheers =)
The MG means machine gun.You can adjust the light interval flash, from 1 (the fastest) to 255ms (the slowest) I am currently using 30ms. I guess yes, you can use it together with the servos. Anyway, for being 100% sure it would be better if you send him an email. If the function is not currently present, he can implement it. He did more things just for me in no time. About the board size, I have to open the tank again, sigh... But no worries I have to refil the smoke generator soon, so will open it in a couple of days at maximum, and then I will measure it.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:37 AM
Durahl

so will open it in a couple of days at maximum, and then I will measure it.
Much appreciated!
Old 06-20-2022, 08:11 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Much appreciated!
Size is 101.6mm x 76.2mm x 22mm
I will update my review as soon as I grab a computer.

EDIT: Done, review updated! I hate phones, lol

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 06-20-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:41 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I was going to say that an E-100 ( or Maus) with two cannons would be an exception but then I though of an M3 Lee and while my Monday fog brain
can't think of one I'm sure there are others. I happen to have a 1/10 Maus AND an E-100 in the works and at 110+ pounds each this board sounds
promising. Seems as if it could handle the load.

Jerry
Old 06-20-2022, 10:17 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Thats a great board, like an IBU, DKTank, clark80 and elmod. But price point puts it out of reach for US markets.

What I have been asking for is a much less complex board that is much less costly similar to like a clark 24 but actually works without failing over and over. Has armor class switches and runs on the old KISS theory. Nearly plug and play. The old IBU2 was quite good at this, the DBA BARC4 was excellent but required a HL rx18 which was in decline and burned up often.

So far, for all around easy use, price and KISS the tamiya dmd 11 is pretty darn good, though its cost from tamiya usa with all the harnesses is about 250, higher than what would make it a good option. Remember not everyone wants a ton of bells and whistles in a tank. I have some that I do, and some that I dont. I just want it to drive and battle.

Anyway, he created a nice system that will probably do well over there in europe.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:34 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Thats a great board, like an IBU, DKTank, clark80 and elmod. But price point puts it out of reach for US markets.

What I have been asking for is a much less complex board that is much less costly similar to like a clark 24 but actually works without failing over and over. Has armor class switches and runs on the old KISS theory. Nearly plug and play. The old IBU2 was quite good at this, the DBA BARC4 was excellent but required a HL rx18 which was in decline and burned up often.

So far, for all around easy use, price and KISS the tamiya dmd 11 is pretty darn good, though its cost from tamiya usa with all the harnesses is about 250, higher than what would make it a good option. Remember not everyone wants a ton of bells and whistles in a tank. I have some that I do, and some that I dont. I just want it to drive and battle.

Anyway, he created a nice system that will probably do well over there in europe.
I would not be so sure a 200 Eur price tag is outside the US market, specially now when the Euro dropped against the dollar, and when I see many american people were willing to spend 300-400 for the older tamiya electronics and another 50 euros for the flash units. I sold all my tamiya electronics there in the US a matter of minutes after trying unsuccessfully to sell them in Europe for peanuts. And don't even mention the tamiya/futaba radios, lol. So money is definitely there. The Tamiya DMD 11 is the Sheridan one if I am not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong) well, for those 250 bucks you still get ancient technology. Sure it has now a 80s casio calculator screen, but I am unable to find the fun in that board. If you only (and remark only) want to battle with the very basic rules and don't care about anything else, yeah, it could work for you, but in case of only battle I would get any of the RCTA IR gadgets for a fraction the price. Long time since last time I took a look at RCTA website, and due to I am not interested in battling, I did not even deeply read his items descriptions, but maybe there you can find what you need and if not present, Kevin might make it for you and your club. For me (I remark, for me) tamiya electronics would be the last choice of the long list.

But yes, not everybody wants all the bells and whistles... even people were happy with their old RX18 in the day... but then people sees what other boards do, and most want to have all those bells and whistles.
I remarked several times that I don't battle, but the other day in that RC meeting where I recorded those videos, there were another 5 tanks (among a lot of trucks) and you could not believe the fun we had playing the user sounds. I was using my king tiger as a platoon commander, I have voice commands, so when I press a button in my radio, it plays a voice of my choice like "Fowards, stop, right, left, enemy panzer!, fire! cease fire!, backwards" and up to 24 like that. I find this is megacool and realistic, and things like that would add a lot of fun and variety than hearding the same syntethic tamiya sounds repeated again and again. Some people wrote me because they got bored of battling just because the lack of variety.

But hey, that is just my opinion of mine, the rolling-christmas-tree-and-jukebox tankist, lol.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:39 AM
bowlman

Originally Posted by RichJohnson

A lite version would not be bad for them that want some sounds and battle ready

Last edited by bowlman; 06-20-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:20 PM
oldwolf75

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not be so sure a 200 Eur price tag is outside the US market, specially now when the Euro dropped against the dollar, and when I see many american people were willing to spend 300-400 for the older tamiya electronics and another 50 euros for the flash units. I sold all my tamiya electronics there in the US a matter of minutes after trying unsuccessfully to sell them in Europe for peanuts. And don't even mention the tamiya/futaba radios, lol. So money is definitely there. The Tamiya DMD 11 is the Sheridan one if I am not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong) well, for those 250 bucks you still get ancient technology. Sure it has now a 80s casio calculator screen, but I am unable to find the fun in that board. If you only (and remark only) want to battle with the very basic rules and don't care about anything else, yeah, it could work for you, but in case of only battle I would get any of the RCTA IR gadgets for a fraction the price. Long time since last time I took a look at RCTA website, and due to I am not interested in battling, I did not even deeply read his items descriptions, but maybe there you can find what you need and if not present, Kevin might make it for you and your club. For me (I remark, for me) tamiya electronics would be the last choice of the long list..
exactly, dollar to euro exchange today is $1.05 to E 1.00.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:10 PM
bowlman

I emailed Kim got first reply on price and shipping to me now waiting on next reply .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 06-20-2022, 03:13 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Cool Jimmy. Show us what you do with it when you get it. I had not realized the euro to dollar were so close right now. Not bad then. And shipping from their to the US is pretty reasonable rather than the other way where USPS empties your wallet.
Ide like to see how it plays out.
I was out today testing out my Leopard 1a7 against on old tamiya sherman and a t90 with an IBU2U..... yeah I dont like the Ultimate.... Someone nearly forced me to buy this T90. $500 of upgrades in a plastic HL tank and its painted nice. Its going to be a loaner. I made a bunch of adjustments to the IBU as it wasnt quite right and now its liveable. I noticed the inertia seems lower than the two I had bought on first release of the Ultimate series. Maybe thats why people have told me its not that bad, because this one is not that bad, I still dont care for it but its now not that bad. I also did a bunch of tweeking on my DMD11 yes the sheridan system. I do like that. Its got its faults too but it is very striaght forward to use and its nice to have a the screen for adjusting on the fly. I did that sometimes with my older IBUs, I could move a switch and go up or down a class. I do that with my m60 as desired. Still, the DMD11 is costly and you better know which way the servos operate because there is no changing their direction, so test it and build your tank accordingly or get a servo reverser....

Any way, I look forward to seeing this new system out there and how well it performs.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:39 PM
bowlman

Hi Rich
I think I mite stick it in the t-72 to try it out before I upgrade the outer hull I have a open panzer board in a m41 bulldog so I've played with the setup software for that board witch is almost just like whats needed for this board .
Yes the price of $210.00 so $230.00 with shipping not bad at all .
I have been mostly on Tamiya controller boards and a few of the ELMods and a open panzer board I don't like the inertia ether you have to think to far ahead before you take off and slow down and turn .
thanks
Jimmy

Old 06-20-2022, 07:14 PM
Durahl

Talking Versuchsträger 1-2

Originally Posted by Tanque
I was going to say that an E-100 ( or Maus) with two cannons would be an exception...
Jerry
Well, there's also this little Gem of German Engineering requiring the electronics for two full-sized Cannons:

Versuchsträger 1-2
Old 06-20-2022, 09:04 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Yes, there are more two barreled tanks that it might seem. In Facebook there is a guy who did an unbelievable amazing "Apocalypse tank" from Red Alert 2 in wood! absolute craftmanship.

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 06-20-2022 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:34 AM
bowlman

Well, there's also this little Gem of German Engineering requiring the electronics for two full-sized Cannons:

Versuchsträger 1-2
That would be a niffty build
Old 06-21-2022, 06:05 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Versuchsträger 1-2

I have to admit I had to look this one up. there was the VT 1-1 and VT 1-2 the main diff being the VT 1-2 had a turbocharged engine.

When I read "The VT 1-1 was based on the shortened chassis of the cancelled MBT-70 tank." I said Ahhhhhh now I understand...

Agree that for modern armor enthusiasts that could be an interesting scratch project.

Jerry
bowlman (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 05:43 PM
bowlman

Originally Posted by bowlman
Hi Rich
I think I mite stick it in the t-72 to try it out before I upgrade the outer hull I have a open panzer board in a m41 bulldog so I've played with the setup software for that board witch is almost just like whats needed for this board .
Yes the price of $210.00 so $230.00 with shipping not bad at all .
I have been mostly on Tamiya controller boards and a few of the ELMods and a open panzer board I don't like the inertia ether you have to think to far ahead before you take off and slow down and turn .
thanks
Jimmy
Then again I got a T55 still to finish just waiting for elctronics to run .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 06-21-2022, 05:48 PM
bowlman

Originally Posted by Tanque
I have to admit I had to look this one up. there was the VT 1-1 and VT 1-2 the main diff being the VT 1-2 had a turbocharged engine.

When I read "The VT 1-1 was based on the shortened chassis of the cancelled MBT-70 tank." I said Ahhhhhh now I understand...

Agree that for modern armor enthusiasts that could be an interesting scratch project.

Jerry
Takom has it coming out in 1/35 model that could be used to measure from
https://www.themodellingnews.com/202...h-barrels.html
The kit should be available in July.
Thanks
Jimmy

Last edited by bowlman; 06-21-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:14 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm gathering parts to build a KV-7-2 with the dual 76mm guns, but I will probably salvo fire them rather than sequentially.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.