Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Torro 1/16 panther g

Old 12-19-2022, 02:50 AM
Crius

Received 312 Likes on 258 Posts

Almost all of the tanks come with a tamiya connector, but a lot of us swap those out, mostly for the xt60, but I think some guys are still using Dean's connectors. Personally, I use the XT series, xt30s, xt60s, and xt90s for the big 6s lipos in the hetzer, but all my 1/16 tanks have the Xt60 connector in there. Part of the reason I did that is because all lipos sold by HobbyKing, where I get most of my batteries, 2s and 3s, that are 2000 Mah or over come standard with an xt60 connector. Makes things a little more convenient.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:58 PM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks fellas.

any cool worthwhile upgrades for these things?
Old 12-21-2022, 02:47 AM
Crius

It depends on how detailed you want to get. On my jagdpanther some of the details I added were to get a proper track cable instead of that little piece of plastic that looks like a coiled rope, a decent mg42 for the commander, and the last thing I need to do before I can call that tank finished, is add individual metal spare track links, instead of the one piece plastic item that comes with the tank. If you're using an aftermarket board and have extra radio channels another popular mod is to make the machine gun servo operated. I guess pretty much the sky is the limit, it all depends on how detailed you want to get.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:48 AM
Area 8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:14 PM
ErikElvis

Originally Posted by Crius
It depends on how detailed you want to get. On my jagdpanther some of the details I added were to get a proper track cable instead of that little piece of plastic that looks like a coiled rope, a decent mg42 for the commander, and the last thing I need to do before I can call that tank finished, is add individual metal spare track links, instead of the one piece plastic item that comes with the tank. If you're using an aftermarket board and have extra radio channels another popular mod is to make the machine gun servo operated. I guess pretty much the sky is the limit, it all depends on how detailed you want to get.
mainly looking to add some jerry cans, ammo boxes and stuff like that. Would like some prepainted tank crews. Good resources for these?
Old 12-24-2022, 10:43 AM
ErikElvis

I think I’m going to try the flory model wash on the tiger. Looks a little too bright. What’s the best way to seal decals as to not ruin them with the wash?
Old 12-24-2022, 02:11 PM
Crius

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35374185104...Bk9SR9b39OKoYQ

I use testors dullcote after decals

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40362324219...Bk9SR8C8geOoYQ
Old 12-24-2022, 04:33 PM
ErikElvis

thanks. Oof Iím going down modeling rabbit holes here. Seems like should apply a gloss coat first. Use something like micro sol to soften the decal then cover with dullcote??
The following 2 users liked this post by ErikElvis:
bowlman (12-24-2022), tankme (12-24-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 02:00 AM
Crius

Old 12-25-2022, 07:06 AM
ErikElvis

Makes it look easy. Ordered a hen-long stug to practice on. Do t want to mess up a Torro!
Old 12-25-2022, 07:58 AM
Crius

Wish I had known you were looking, check out this, basic plastic StuG III but with HL 7.0 electronics and free shipping for $149.00. Would be great for practice.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/he...tr-hlg3868-001

I plan to do a thread on this vendor so we all know about them, for HL plastic tanks they have the best prices I've seen in quite a while, free shipping on tanks, and upgrades are reasonably priced. And most of what they list is in stock. I got my GPA from them.
Old 12-25-2022, 08:33 AM
ErikElvis

Originally Posted by Crius
Wish I had known you were looking, check out this, basic plastic StuG III but with HL 7.0 electronics and free shipping for $149.00. Would be great for practice.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/he...tr-hlg3868-001

I plan to do a thread on this vendor so we all know about them, for HL plastic tanks they have the best prices I've seen in quite a while, free shipping on tanks, and upgrades are reasonably priced. And most of what they list is in stock. I got my GPA from them.
thatís where I ordered all my tanks from except the Jagdtiger which I got direct from Torro. Canít beat Ďem it seems. I did get the professional version or whatever it was which was on sale for $200
Old 12-25-2022, 07:39 PM
tankme

Received 201 Likes on 163 Posts

I've ordered from Motion RC before. No issues with them and they do have good prices. Just bought a scratch and dent T-90 Pro (all metal version) for $249 shipped. All that ended up being wrong was a blown speaker and the power connector wasn't installed right. Both easy fixes.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:57 AM
ErikElvis

Anyone have a recommendation for an affordable airbrush kit? Amazon special?

Edit: decided to go with a Grex gck03 kit. People seem to like it. Spent a little more money because nothing worse than trying to do any work with subpar equipment. Will certainly turn you off to it. We’ll see how bad I can ruin one of these Heng longs!

now I have to pick out some paints….

Last edited by ErikElvis; 12-29-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:05 PM
Durahl

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
Anyone have a recommendation for an affordable airbrush kit? Amazon special?
IMHO, basically anything that doesn't resemble this and to some extend this.
  • Having an actual Compressor over using Air Cans is ✨KING
    Comparing their prices on Amazon, you can get a Compressor ( with Storage Tank! ) for like 5 Cans - You'll go through 3-5 cans in like one big model by which time the compressor will be a no brainer.
  • Being able to control both the Air and Paint Flow separately isn't anything to sneeze at either...
    You don't have to be able to do both at the same time either to get good results ( just go ham on the Air and moderate the Paint to start out with ) but having the option to learn to do both at some time which you can only do with a Dual Action Pistol is sweet.
  • Also having an Airbrush with like half a dozen Tips may sound cute AF but realistically... Nope... Compared to the Tamiya ones I now use the Aztek was marginally better than the Revell one I started out with.
    Get yourself a dedicated 0.3 for the majority of projects you'll do and if 1:16 is a big enough hobby for you consider a 0.5 as well. You'll not be doing faces with either but for German Ambush Camo it'll be plenty =)
That being said though... A lot of details on a /chefskiss Tank model comes from Weathering and most of that will not include an Airbrush 😉
Old 12-29-2022, 02:13 PM
ErikElvis

Cool thanks. I look forward to messing with an airbrush. The kit has a .3 needle but I also picked up a .5. Would a .2 be suitable for painting figures?

and after contemplating all day on how I want to go about weathering these heng long metal tracks I settled on vms black track pro 2.0 buuuut it’s out of stock everywhere. Ugh. I was thinking of doing that and maybe brushing some gunmetal highlights or something like that. Not sure I wanted to get involved with pigments even though it would be cool.

this is turning into a nightmare.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:15 AM
Durahl

Mhh... So far I've only painted a figure once based on a YouTube Tutorial which was done with brushes:

But hey... Give it a shot. There's always Paint Stripper and a second try if it doesn't work on the first one? 😉

As for the Tracks - Maybe have a look at my E-100 "Blog" in my Signature:

Applied a greyish Track Mix first and followed up with AK Crusted Rust Deposits splattered onto the tracks using a Brush and a Toothpick then dry brushed with AK True Metal Steel.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:37 AM
ErikElvis

Figure looks great for a first try! Just went to the local hobby shop and picked up a bunch of paint. Some grays, and Vallejo thick and splash mud. Iím hoping the flory model washes take care of the rest.

im thinking for figs Iíll pick up some of those packs that ammo makes for Germans or Americans.

Last edited by ErikElvis; 12-30-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:57 PM
ErikElvis

Won’t let me post the vid but WOW already experienced a game changer in my short experience with rc tanks.

1/16 Torro jagdtiger with smoke on firing. Looks pretty damn cool.

edit: added to YT

now granted the timing is off it seems on the recoil and flash and I’m not sure how much smoke a tank makes on firing but it is a cool effect for a rc vehicle.

Last edited by ErikElvis; 12-31-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:32 AM
ErikElvis

Just fired up the Heng long M4. Have to say I’m impressed. Sound is nice. Proportional drive is excellent. Not near as bulky as a Torro but Torro could learn a couple things.
Old 01-07-2023, 12:30 AM
Durahl

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
now granted the timing is off it seems on the recoil and flash and Iím not sure how much smoke a tank makes on firing but it is a cool effect for a rc vehicle.

https://youtu.be/VfnLHd6Ox38
Yeaa... That timing sure as heck reminded me more of a sneeze than a cannon fire 🤣

Kinda digging the on-point Smoke Effect, though 🤔 How is the mechanical principle being realized? 🤨
Does it continuously fill a chamber which then gets evacuated by the recoil or does it momentarily release a puff of smoke during the recoil?
Old 01-07-2023, 11:38 AM
ErikElvis

I have no idea how the cannon smokes. I was wondering that myself. If I have it running and take the plug out of the smoke generator it smokes out of the hole so it must be a servo or something that opens up??