Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Rochobby Willys Jeep, 1/6 scale RC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Rochobby Willys Jeep, 1/6 scale RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 02:10 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Bob! Yeah... This Jeep painting thread has morphed into jeep/tank colors and I'm sorry for my input. Your tanks look GREAT!

And I'm going to show just a couple more pics on Nick's post (Sorry Nick for getting in to it on here!) on OD Jeep colors in a day or two (IF it quits RAINING!) I'm prepping another Rochobby Jeep by removing the body, seats, and I'm taping the lights, reflectors, tires, etc.. and'll paint it 34087. Then I'll post pics side by side to see how they compare color wise. (IF the sun peaks out it'll be better!)

Rich Johnson knows more about WWII OD paint than I do so maybe he'll chime in on these colors.

Those BIG CANS of OD from that seller are GREAT! They're ACCURATE to WWII colors, they're FULL and cost a LOT less than the little cans. Shipping is pricey (because 'hazardous' regs) but I order 2-3 cans if I'm gonna paint U.S. WWII vehicles i'm ahead cause I'll probably have leftover cans available..

I'll post pics very soon so everbody can decide.

Mike

Old 12-08-2022, 04:06 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

So my paint is supposed to arrive today (definitely appreciate the paint/color discussion on the thread). UPS usually runs late here. I bought two cans of the 34087. I used up the last of my Model Master TS1911 touching up my Vantex Sherman and the M5 Stuart.

The jeep is apart so now all I need is the paint. Going to mask the windshield with blue painters tape just before I spray. Figures arrived earlier today. They are a tight fit into those small seats. Might have to do some trimming.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:56 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

That $199 price must have disappeared soon after you guys posted it 'cause I couldn't find one for that price... :-(

Jerry
Old 12-09-2022, 02:46 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Mine came from Horizon Hobby, who also sells on Amazon, and I think the $199 price was a Black Friday thing. RCmart still has them for $259.90 but I don't know if they offer free shipping. At both Amazon and Horizon Hobby they're back up to $329 again. I knew I should have bought an extra one, but this one gives me a total of two so I decided to calm myself and save the money.

And I've already found one good thing about building an SAS jeep, I won't have to worry about taping up the windshield before I paint it, just put the windshield in the spares box as is.

Last edited by Crius; 12-09-2022 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:50 AM
Crius

These big cans of paint you guys keep talking about sound pretty good, do they have a desert sand color that would work on the SAS Jeep? Can one of you please post a link to the company selling the paint?
Old 12-09-2022, 08:41 AM
Old MSgt

Hey Gary. I've looked in to WWII OD a little, trying to find one I like. I looked on ebay at 319 & 34087 and found these big cans for WWII restorers sold by Fort Ryan Supply Rapco Parts Company so I don't know if they have any other WWII vehicle colors. Look at'em on ebay.

I got done painting the other jeep this morning and I REALLY LIKE the 34087. It may not be 'right' for a late WWII Pershing but...

Old 12-09-2022, 01:49 PM
Tankhobby

Originally Posted by Crius
These big cans of paint you guys keep talking about sound pretty good, do they have a desert sand color that would work on the SAS Jeep? Can one of you please post a link to the company selling the paint?
They have a paint chip offer on ebay, One color looks like a sand color.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30228240899...MAAOSwL~pf9fsF
Old 12-09-2022, 02:33 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

These guys sell it also: https://spraypaint.quartertonparts.c...y/spray-paint/
Old 12-09-2022, 02:55 PM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Mike those jeeps look great! Can I send you mine to repaint as well? Are you going to paint the markings? I think I'm going to get a little vinyl cutter (Cricut or Cameo)!

I buy my paint from Quarterton parts - tankme posted link.

They have a sand color camo. Is it right for desert raider jeep? Not sure.
https://spraypaint.quartertonparts.c...o-spray-paint/

For German yellow I like this. No more mini cans of Tamiya TS3! (which I also like)
https://hessenantique.com/german-wwi...b-spray-paint/
Bob
Old 12-09-2022, 03:46 PM
Tankhobby

Yup those jeeps look great! Hopefully mine will too. Did you paint the straps?

Also did you clean the surface with anything? I'm thinking wiping with some water/dawn mixture then drying with a clean cloth.

My Cricut came in, now I need to figure out how to use it.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:25 AM
Old MSgt

Good Morning! Yeah Bob, I'm going to at least get the hood registration numbers and a couple names for the Sherman

Nick, I just used masking tape and razor blade for the tires, pried out the windshields and painted it. I carefully shot some OD on the frame sides and diffs.

AND I've tried to seat figures in the Jeep seats.. I've rode in M151s & Humvees a lot and I WISHED then those had cushioned seats like these Jeeps! Seats we had were just thin canvas. I thought about trying the figures in these seats without the cushions so maybe there'd be more leg room but that would look weird.

Mike
Old 12-11-2022, 05:45 PM
Crius

They've made a couple of changes since they first came out, totally new TX and XT60 battery connector instead of the dean's connector. I did a video that shows both transmitters.

I'm trying to do a video on figures and accessories but things keep going wrong. Got about halfway through it on this attempt and the battery died on the camcorder. It's still recharging so maybe tomorrow I can try again. I think the battery is getting old so I'll shop for a replacement. Anyway, in the video I'll go over different figures that work better as driver's. If the average figure is 6 feet tall I've found a couple guys that aren't more than 5'8". You can always change uniforms, and I've found a couple standard figures that usually come with the shorter figure, like the GI Joe Classics D Day kit. He makes things much easier for fitting the driver. Passenger doesn't seem to be so finicky since all those pedals and shifters aren't in the way. But I've found she rides much better with no list if you have a passenger in place. So don't worry, Mike, I have several so if we need to I can send you one that will fit the jeep. This is what my first one looks right at the moment, but I like the way yours looks so much I think it's time to tear it all apart and paint it.

The following users liked this post:
tankme (12-11-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:48 PM
schmitty1944

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice tip about the price and good video about the "newer version" of the Roc hobby/FMS jeep. I like the re-paints and upgrades people have been doing to these. I think a big part of the problem with getting figures to sit in these properly is that the seats are way too high. In a real WWII era jeep the top of the seat cushion is almost even with the cut outs on the sides where you get in and out. On this model the seats are on top of the battery box which causes them to be quite a bit higher. Also the windshield is far too tall. It looks silly to me when it is in the upright position, it looks better folded down but still pretty off. Of course if you reduced the height of the windshield the figures would be looking over the top of it instead of through it unless the seats are lowered as well. I'm not trying to put it down. I think it's a great model. Just wondered if anyone has taken the effort to make it more accurate?

Old 12-13-2022, 02:40 AM
Crius

I definitely agree about the height of the seats and the windshield. You should see it with the top on, the drivers head presses against the top from the inside and puts a little hump in the top that's quite noticeable. I just might try to lower the seats and see if that helps. Fortunately, the SAS Jeep doesn't have a windshield so I don't have to worry about that. The other thing I really don't like is the crate that's molded in. They had to do that to accommodate the suspension but I think they should have just used leaf springs to begin with and then they wouldn't have that problem. Not to mention that it would be much more accurate that way.

Something interesting happened this morning, I've ordered a lot of things from Australia in the past but this is the first time I've ever gotten an email from Australia Post telling me that my package with the SAS kit has arrived in the United States and is currently going through customs. I don't know if that's new, but I like it. For what it's worth I always follow the tracking and pay attention to where my package currently is, but that doesn't always work because the tracking from USPS doesn't always tell you the truth. I once ordered an item from Arizona and then watched tracking as they said it went from Arizona to Utah to Illinois to Ohio to Michigan. Tracking said the item was in Royal Oak but after about 5 days I called the post office to find out what was going on and it turns out that the package was actually still in Arizona. What I was seeing when I looked at tracking was what the woman called, "system generated updates". In other words, the computer was telling me where it thought the package was supposed to be at that time, not where it actually was. But, as long as you know stuff like that tracking can be a pretty valuable tool. I recently had an item go astray and the vendor had never sent me a tracking number so I didn't know that it had gone astray until I sent them a message asking why I didn't have my package yet. They sent me back a screenshot from tracking that said it had been delivered 2 weeks ago. Turns out the vendor put the wrong address on the label and we're still trying to track that package down. If they had sent me a tracking number I would have been paying attention and would have noticed when it said delivered and got right on it. I have no idea if the two week delay in reporting the package missing is going to hurt me, but I'm pretty sure it didn't help.

Last edited by Crius; 12-13-2022 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:17 PM
Tankhobby

Originally Posted by Crius
I definitely agree about the height of the seats and the windshield. You should see it with the top on, the drivers head presses against the top from the inside and puts a little hump in the top that's quite noticeable. I just might try to lower the seats and see if that helps. Fortunately, the SAS Jeep doesn't have a windshield so I don't have to worry about that. The other thing I really don't like is the crate that's molded in. They had to do that to accommodate the suspension but I think they should have just used leaf springs to begin with and then they wouldn't have that problem. Not to mention that it would be much more accurate that way.
The seats can be removed pretty easily, I took them apart when I painted the jeep. One thing about some of the parts is that they are made from flexible plastic so down the road the paint may chip off. These are the seat frames and the "canopy" bars. Another note (I don't recall if it's been mentioned) you can get an RC switch and put it between the headlight plug and receiver to control turning the headlights on and off. I noticed the headlights are LEDs but there are no rear LED lights. I'm thinking of tapping into the headlight voltage and putting some small red LEDs for the rear lights. That will look a lot nicer when I run it at night.
Old MSgt (12-14-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 02:28 PM
Tankhobby

If you decide to paint your jeep using spray can or airbrush I noticed the wheels are almost exactly 3 inches in diameter. I fortunately had a 3 inch hole saw so made a template that worked out rather well. Some minor overspray on the rubber but barely noticeable.

Also about the paint cans. They came with nozzles that spray in a line shape as opposed to a cone like I'm used to with the old model paint cans. That may be desirable when spraying a full size vehicle but it didn't work for me. I had to switch nozzles from another can to get my cone shaped spray. The pictures below are of the nozzles that came with the paint mentioned earlier, you can see they have a spray direction feature you may or may not like.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:51 AM
RC_BobM

Nick that is one annoying thing about the larger can. The nozzle are made for painting big 1:1 parts. So you waste some paint on small stuff unless you change the nozzle. I change them to use Krylon or Rustoleam nozzle - but those clog easy.
Bob
Old 12-16-2022, 06:36 AM
Crius

The dragon desert Raider kit arrived yesterday. When I bought it they said they still had six available so I was going to post a link in case anybody wanted one, but I just checked and they now say they're out of stock. Wow, those sold pretty quick. But it was a very good price, all things considered, I paid just about $190 us, delivered. I plan to use the pieces necessary to make the Roc Hobby Jeep into an sas desert Raider, and I'll still be able to assemble the rest into a more or less complete Jeep that can be used as a static display piece. I'll start a separate thread on the build in a couple of days.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:59 AM
tukivi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question. Any tips for enbling the beginner mode from the transmitter? The manual tells to push ch4 button when turning on the transmitter, how ever this is not working for me.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:48 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RC_BobM
Nick that is one annoying thing about the larger can. The nozzle are made for painting big 1:1 parts. So you waste some paint on small stuff unless you change the nozzle. I change them to use Krylon or Rustoleam nozzle - but those clog easy.
Bob
E-Bay sell a pack of different nozzles for pennies, A little experimenting gives the versatility of an airbrush (Well not really but better than the original nozzle)..
RC_BobM (02-02-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 04:34 PM
Tankhobby

The Cricut worked out very well. I used the actual vinyl for the hood serial numbers and small stars. The hood star was a stencil and I used white spray paint.

I then made stencils for my M5 Stuart, worked great!

Now for the second jeep, just finished painting it.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:03 PM
RC_BobM

Nick the results of those stencils look great! Did you use a font in the software to create them? Need to get me one of those (cutting machines)...
Bob
Old 02-03-2023, 02:55 PM
Tankhobby

Hi Bob,

I searched for free stencil fonts online and chose one that looked military type. I created the artwork in Corel Draw (my home graphics software) then used the Cricut software to make the vinyl cutouts and stencils.
For my second jeep I wanted to try and figure out the markings to make it an 83rd recon jeep. The first one I painted is an 83rd recon headquarters jeep.