Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Rochobby Willys Jeep, 1/6 scale RC

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Rochobby Willys Jeep, 1/6 scale RC

Old 12-02-2022, 03:38 PM
Tankhobby

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Rochobby Willys Jeep, 1/6 scale RC

For those looking for the 1/6 Roc Hobby Willys, I just bought one from Amazon (sold by Horizon Hobbies) for $199.00. That's a great price and it is the 1/6 scale version. I thought it might be the 1/12 scale for that price.
I would post a link but I'm not sure if that's allowed. You can easily find it on Amazon. This is my second one, couldn't resist buying another one for that price.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:19 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm sure, I can post it

Amazon Amazon

I already had one but at that price I picked up another.

I also bought a Dragon SAS jeep kit for the parts I'll need to kitbash an SAS RC Jeep. If the seller ever ships the damn thing. The ROC Jeep arrived in less than a week, and I got free shipping but I don't know if that's standard or because I'm doing the free trial for Prime. I'm still waiting for them to ship the dragon kit (it's been ten days since I paid for it) but as soon as it arrives I'll start a thread on the conversion.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:23 AM
Crius

And here's the link if you want to go directly to Horizon Hobbies and bypass amazon.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...ROC010RTR.html
Old 12-03-2022, 06:47 AM
Tankhobby

Did you buy the African or European SAS jeep? The European version has a lot more machine guns on it!
Old 12-03-2022, 12:57 PM
Crius

The Desert Raider.

https://www.megahobby.com/products/s...-6-dragon.html

I know about the European kit, and monkey depot lists them as out of stock, but I've never seen one for sale. I probably would have bought it if I did. I've also got a couple of the 1/4 ton kits. I was planning to RC them, then ROC came out with theirs.

Old 12-03-2022, 02:38 PM
Tankhobby

I have one of those too with the intent to make it RC. Now I have two Rochobby RC jeeps. Looks like I'll sell my static Dragon kit.

The remote on my newest Rochobby jeep is different than the one I originally got. Still a 4 channel but the remote and receiver are different. i put an RC switch to control the lights and a sound module for engine sound. I now need a new figure for it. Just doesn't look right driving it around without at least a driver figure in it.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:50 PM
Crius

I think we're lucky we have so many ready-made choices in this scale. There's a huge shortage of decent drivers in 1/16 scale so I'm always on the lookout for those. One thing to keep in mind with these ROC jeeps is that the suspension is pretty soft so just a driver can make it lean over, that's why I used both a driver and passenger in mine, and kept all the stowage light weight so it won't make it want to list.

And I just learned something about imgur, if I use the BB code button to post photos they appear much smaller than this photo, which I posted by hovering the cursor over the photo at imgur, right clicked, and hit "copy image", then pasted it in my post here. I think I'll do it this way from now on.

Last edited by Crius; 12-03-2022 at 02:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old MSgt (12-06-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 07:47 AM
Tankhobby

I'm thinking about painting the new one while I wait for the figures. It's color is too shiny and new. If it comes out good I'll paint the old one too. It will be a big job to mask off the stuff that doesn't get paint. Not sure if I should prime it first then paint, or just clean the surface and airbrush Vallejo or Tamiya paint on it? Any suggestions?

Old MSgt (12-06-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 12:03 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Nick! I didn't like the 'shiney, new' color of my jeep either so I took the body off, took the jerry can, spare tire, tools, steering wheel off. I unscrewed the seat frames out and unscrewed the fabric seat off. I gently popped out the windshields and cut rough round masking tape to go over the fender light and over the rear corner reflectors as well as the dash gauges. I stuffed paper towel in the grill over the headlights. Taped over the cargo box in the rear. I quickly lightly sanded over the large white markings just to give the OD something to grab.

I didn't use primer, I just sprayed OD 319 on the body because I had a can of 319 left over from painting a Sherman. I used masking tape on the five wheels (didn't take the mounted ones off), quickly cut tape around the rims and sprayed'em. I shoved paper towel around the electrics between the frame rails and sprayed the diffs, shocks, and frame where they can be seen. I figure if they get scratched the scratch will be darker and show usage!

I painted over the unit markings but I've been looking at the those '1/6 scale jeep stencils' on ebay but they're pricey... in WWII pictures a lot of jeep marking have been covered so I'm figuring IF I want to get stencils I might do that later (maybe the price will come down.)

I'm going to build a Pershing this spring so I've ordered in some OD 34087 because it has more 'brown' color and I like it that OD color. I get the BIG cans of 319 & 34087 WWII OD on ebay ($9.50 ea.). I still have to weather it and 'rough' the corners up some but I have all winter to do that.

Last edited by Old MSgt; 12-04-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:04 PM
Tankhobby

Looks like a plan, thanks! Your jeep looks a lot better painted.
I have a cricut vinyl cutter on the way. I'm going to try to use it to make the markings for my tanks, and if it works the jeeps.
The Pershing you are going to build, is it the Armortek?
Old 12-04-2022, 03:17 PM
Old MSgt

Hey!! You're going to get a paint mask cutter? That'd be GREAT! I've been trying to figure out where I could get a 'custom' paint mask made here in the U.S. Only 'custom' mask makers are in England and only one sez they can do 1/6th scale size? I just need to find a paint mask maker that can do 1/2" block letters or 3/4" 'hand written' letters. Do you think your printer could do it?

Yeah, I bought the Pershing kit so I could keep busy building it. Should be here next few months. I'll spend next summer building it. I'm probably going to post the build here in RCU but it'll take a LONG while.

Look at the colors of 319 and 34087 on ebay. I like'em!! They dry quick and are big cans.

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 12-04-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:17 PM
Tankhobby

Two cans on order from ebay. The cutter should work, I don't know if it will be by making a mask, applying it, spraying and removing the mask or just cutting out the vinyl and sticking it on the model. I'll have to experiment when I get it.

I'm getting the Pershing also, my first Armortek tank. I'll be very interested in your build post.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:55 AM
Crius

First, tankhobby, said in a friendly way, you make me sick!! Or is that jealous? Somethin'. An armortek has been my dream for a very, very long time but realistically, I'll never be able to afford one. But I've got a pretty cool Credit Union that is constantly trying to loan me money so you never know. If I ever do get that lucky, Master Sergeant Mike will definitely be my Guru when it comes to armortek.

Anyway, since my jeep is going to be a desert Raider I'm going to use tester's model Master enamel in armor sand. I've still got three bottles that haven't gone bad and that should be plenty. I've used that on a lot of tanks and it's a very very good match for the real thing. I'll apply it with an Iwata hphc airbrush, the greatest airbrush ever, IMHO. I just hope the pieces in the kit are somewhat close in scale to the ROC jeep. I won't be using the windshield so that will go in the spares box, and then the plan is to Simply follow the kit directions to try and install the Kit pieces to the ROC Jeep. Then I'll weather the crap out of it. I usually like my models to be close to factory fresh, but this will definitely be an exception.

I've got almost all my 1/6 scale stuff set up downstairs so that I can get a video, partly just to have a record of where I'm at at this point in time, partly to answer a couple of questions for a friend, and partly just to show off. I'll probably post it here, but I wasn't planning on starting a whole new thread for it. Like I said, it's mainly just to get a record of where I'm at at the end of 2022. And no, the hetzer will not be in the video because that thing weighs over 120 lb and I am not carrying it down those stairs.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:30 AM
Old MSgt

Aww, it'd probably be a job to print the sizes of letters ('Junkyard Dog') for this Sherman so I'm going to check with that English company later. They make a lot of masks for 1/48-up models so they're used to it.

I've been looking at those CNC machine videos on the Armortek site making those Pershing suspension parts and manufacturing'em out of chunks of aluminum sure takes a lot.

It takes me all summer (about 7+ months) to build a tank so I'll post pictures on here occasionally as it goes along. I built that Sherman behind the Jeep last summer and haven't weathered it yet. I took a lot of pictures but didn't post'em anywhere cause 'seen one build, you've seen'em all'. I'm a 'Modeler', not an 'Assembler' so it takes me a long time (that and I'm 66 so slower...)

I'll spray some of that 34087 and see what it looks like in the sun. I like the brownish hue but will decide IF it'd look good on the Pershing. Takes about two of those big cans to paint a tank.

Hey Gary! All December Armortek is having a Sale on their Hertzer kits, 10% off, and with the Pound down right now...

Mike
Old 12-05-2022, 06:15 AM
Crius

Thanks for the tip, Mike, if they do that with the P3 I'll probably jump on it but I already have a 1/6 scale hetzer, it's the Blitzkrieg armor model with the all-metal lower, Metal tracks, road wheels, Etc. And of course I'm talking about the hetzer that I put the .50 caliber paintball gun in. Woohoo! One of these days I really want to make it to your 1/6 scale event down in Danville. I already know I'll have to rent a truck, but I can probably bring the hetzer, the M5 stuart, the 250 half track, a couple of Jeeps, the Mercedes 540k, and maybe a kubelwagen or two. Someday. Hopefully.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:21 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey, for those who want custom stencils for their models, I am making them for years and some guys say I am so cheap that I am almost paying you for getting some. Shipping is also cheap as hell.

Examples in my website, as always.

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/...0/28/stencils/

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 12-05-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:38 AM
Old MSgt

Thanks Rad!! I put your site on my favorites and'll get with you later!!

Mike
Rad_Schuhart (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 01:48 PM
Tankhobby

When Armortek announced the Pershing I had to get it, one of my favorite tanks. Paid the mortgage off last year otherwise I wouldn't have been able to justify it.

Took the jeep apart last night, just waiting for the paint to arrive. Hopefully it comes this week and I can paint it during the weekend.

For my 1/6 scale tanks I only did some weathering on the M4A1. For the Vantex Sherman and 21st Century M5, I let them naturally weather. Since I run them in rain and mud it looks pretty good! The basement dust also adds some realism.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:28 PM
Old MSgt

Hey Nick! The weathering I do is to use dirty black thinner to dob around some bolts, edges, etc., and after all the painted marking are on, I use a spray can of that camo light tan from Walmart. I just dust the tank from a distance especially low down. I paint the U.S. tanks tracks the same color of the tank, no primer. and let them wear off the high areas. I'd like to show a picture of my Shermans but it'll be overcase and rain the next few days... I'll try to take a picture tomorrow under the garage lights.

Mike
Old 12-06-2022, 02:55 AM
Crius

The seller in Australia has finally created a label to ship my SAS kit. I think I got a pretty good deal on this, I paid $203 U.S. and that included the shipping and 6% Michigan sales tax. The next best deal I could find was from Canada and that was a little over $100 more, and the guy in Australia says he has seven more of these kits so if anyone is interested in getting one let me know and I will post a link when I get home. At just $200 delivered I probably would have bought it even without this project just because that's a good price and a good investment. A year from now I should be able to sell this for $300 if I want to, but most of it's pieces will be on the new SAS Jeep so that won't happen. Let me know if anyone is interested in picking one up, and I'll post a link.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:20 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Old MSgt
Thanks Rad!! I put your site on my favorites and'll get with you later!!

Mike
Sure thing! now you know where to find me.
By the way, I published a Jeep review today in my website where I used my stencils. this is in 1:16 but at 1:6 should be OK too.

Old MSgt (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 11:44 AM
Old MSgt

Wow Rad!! Those Jeep markings are GREAT! I'm going to get some lettering for my tank but might decide to do my Jeep too!

I mentioned that I'd show the difference in the two OD spray paints I've used. I was hopeing to take a picture in the sun but it's going to be rainy/overcast here for a days so I took these in the garage. They look more defined in daylight. Just wanted to show ya the tones. They're made by the same company for vehicle restorers and sell spray cans on ebay.

My 'old' M4 (which I posted the build here on RCU a few years ago) is painted like 34087 and the right one is 319. I weathered the 'old' one some but it's worn mostly from use: dirt, dust, scratches, and use. The water spots are from me hosing it off a while ago. I'm going to paint the Pershing 34087 because I like the 'brown' look it has.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:48 PM
RC_BobM

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi Mike I think the 319 would be more accurate for the Pershing and E8. But they look very close. I like those paints myself!
My E8 painted with 34087

Bob
Old MSgt (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 02:08 AM
Old MSgt

E8 looks GREAT Bob!! Yeah, I'll have to decide which color looks good and adds to the tank.

What color did you paint your EXCELLENT M5 Stuart?

Mike
Old 12-08-2022, 12:27 PM
RC_BobM

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Apologies for derailing the Jeep thread - I have one too that needs a repaint! Great discussion on repaints and decal/masks!

All my American stuff (including M5) was painted with Model Master TS1911 Olive drab. Can't get that stuff anymore. The 34087 is almost exact match (to my untrained old eyes) and works out to be less expensive as the bigger cans are about the same price as the small can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.