Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New board

Old 12-21-2022, 04:17 AM
ronnie42

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New board

My Green IBU pro board has finally died , think itís a component fail. The RX does not power up , Had started to have issues , power up then just powers down ,startup sounds and mg and shot were OK until the rx lost power. Had it for quite a few years , Now I need another board , first option is another fusion x board . Any newcomers to the rc tank mfu to think about?
Old 12-21-2022, 06:12 AM
Crius

Received 311 Likes on 257 Posts

Rad introduced us to a new board about a year ago but I'm still waiting for it to come into production. From what he showed here on the Forum it looked like a really nice little board and he said the price would be under 200 Euros, now we just need them to get it together and get it on the market. Perhaps Rad will see this and chime in with an update.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:28 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
Rad introduced us to a new board about a year ago but I'm still waiting for it to come into production. From what he showed here on the Forum it looked like a really nice little board and he said the price would be under 200 Euros, now we just need them to get it together and get it on the market. Perhaps Rad will see this and chime in with an update.
That board was for sale even before I reviewed it. Many people around the world contacted me for telling me they got one after they read my review. I am happy with it and runs inside of my King Tiger since then. As far as I know it is still for sale and even with improvements after each production batch.

Besides that, there are the other two Beier boards which I also reviewed in my website and I love with passion.

Said that, I'd never get an Elmod Fusion X under any circumstances right now. Today, the fuctions list and customization and sound quality is way too low, compared with the competitors.

Hopefuly the Elmod guy releases a new board with more functions. The more fishes in the pool, the better!

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 12-21-2022 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:40 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
That board was for sale even before I reviewed it. Many people around the world contacted me for telling me they got one after they read my review. I am happy with it and runs inside of my King Tiger since then. As far as I know it is still for sale and even with improvements after each production batch.

Besides that, there are the other two Beier boards which I also reviewed in my website and I love with passion.

Said that, I'd never get an Elmod Fusion X under any circumstances right now. Today, the fuctions list and customization and sound quality is way too low, compared with the competitors.

Hopefuly the Elmod guy releases a new board with more functions. The more fishes in the pool, the better!
I Googled Beier Board and found this site that seems to be in the USA and they have several boards to choose from. Which one of these, if any, did you like for your RC tanks Rad?

https://hobbyconcepts.net/collection...tronics?page=1

I have two projects in mind that could use new electronics.

Old 12-22-2022, 06:17 AM
Crius

I've found that for most of my tanks, which are airsoft, the V3 mfu from taigen is just fine. It's got good control, and separate sound modules for different types of Tanks. That's all I really need for Airsoft. For more advanced, hobby grade tanks, I still haven't found anything better than the asp. I think that if I could have looked into the future when I first got into this hobby, and seen the prices that boards would be going for now, I might have stuck with static model aircraft.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:43 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Pah co chu uk: That website is an US distributor. Official website is here: https://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/home/home.php

About which one I use, well, I reviewed the two boards you can use in tanks, it is worth to read both reviews, because they are complementary and the second one has videos.

First one:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/...beier-sfr-1-d/
Second one:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/...eier-sfr-1-hl/

Said that, I think the SFR 1 HL is more than enough for the vast majority of mortals in Earth and beyond. So unless having a very BIG and heavy tank, (and I am talking about bigger than 1:16 and real full metal) the SFR 1 HL is more than adequate. I don't know anybody more freak function sick than me, and the SFR 1 HL suits me and is what I fit in most of my tanks now.

Crius: That is the point. For most users Taigen or Tamiya electronics are fine, so I don't foresee anybody here needing anything more complex than the Beiers mentioned above.
The ASP, well, we discussed it in the past. It was great, much better than everything that was available in the past, and it is still much better than many things available today... but there are now indeed better alternatives. No mention the lack of ASP production in the last... 7 years?
Pity that Kevin does not want to keep releasing new toys for us.

Oh, and as always say, to anybody interested in getting a new super cool tank board, you will need a fairly decent programmable radio (don't worry, this does not mean expensive), so forget those Tamiya 4ch radio, because there is no way you can activate the trillion functions with just 4 channels.

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 12-22-2022 at 06:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bowlman (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 10:36 AM
Pah co chu puk

Thanks Rad
I did read your first review, but had not seen the second one. I'll read it later today. Reading your write up about the Beier board had me thinking a board like that would work well on a tank recovery vehicle project I'm working on. I want it to have a working crane, winch, and dozer blade, plus of course the normal tank track controls, along with some cool sounds. I'm a ways from building it, still doing the 3d design, but a good control board in on my parts list.
bowlman (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 01:02 PM
Durahl

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
I want it to have a working crane, winch, and dozer blade
Then you'll have to go with at least the SFR-1-D as the HL one doesn't seem to be featuring any of the required additional Outputs besides the usual suspects stuff like Turret Rotation, Gun elevation and ( probably? 🤔 ) Recoil.
For example, my D.I.Y. E-100 has the SFR-1-D and of the 4x Servo and 4x Motor Connections it has I'm using all but one of the smaller Motor ones to control all the functionality I could come up with when I designed it.
Also looking at the port details of the HL version it seems like a lot of components would be sharing some of the wiring instead of providing dedicated wiring for each component ( seems to be a HL thing, I guess? 🤨 ).
Old 12-22-2022, 01:30 PM
Pah co chu puk

Originally Posted by Durahl
Then you'll have to go with at least the SFR-1-D as the HL one doesn't seem to be featuring any of the required additional Outputs besides the usual suspects stuff like Turret Rotation, Gun elevation and ( probably? 🤔 ) Recoil.
For example, my D.I.Y. E-100 has the SFR-1-D and of the 4x Servo and 4x Motor Connections it has I'm using all but one of the smaller Motor ones to control all the functionality I could come up with when I designed it.
Also looking at the port details of the HL version it seems like a lot of components would be sharing some of the wiring instead of providing dedicated wiring for each component ( seems to be a HL thing, I guess? 🤨 ).
Cool! Thanks. I was hoping that this thread would flush out some good board choices to examine. Thanks ronnie42 for starting it. Hopefully we gave you some insights.
I want to avoid the boards that piggyback onto the HL board. I like my IBU3 because it is simple to wire and operate. So far it has worked flawlessly. I have two tanks with the old HL R-18 board with a DBC piggybacked to it, and they are a bear to keep working right and fix. Too many wires.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:02 PM
RichJohnson

Received 365 Likes on 232 Posts

Boy do I miss good IBU boards. That IBU3 was a great step that the mfr killed off in favor of the 2 Ultimate. Which I still hate. He took a great board and upgraded it and ruined it. Everyone in Socal that has tried one hates the ultimate board. Meanwhile I have a dozen, a whole dozen IBU2 green boards that have failed in one way or another. Most have a firmware glitch where they dont recognize the turret rotation input channel. Ian over at RCTE in England says thats a chip failure.

My issue with the Bier and the Elmod is way too many options and too high a price. I build many tank models so just getting around to acutally putting lights in them rarely happens. So I dont need fancy boards. I want good driving, good battling easy operation without ninja stick movements like Clark does. And then Clark, whom Ive seen many of the 60s and 80s fail in the last two years in several different ways.
I would really just like to see the IBU2U updated with simpler performance algorithms but the mfr isnt interested and infact now Im told he cant even make them due to chip shortage.
I am looking more and more at just buying tamiya DMD11 units from the centurian probably to use in my builds because they are simple and very effective.
DKTank was cool, sadly it has a very poor algorithm for modern tank driving, its doesnt turn properly and is terrible to operate in that mode currently so I only use it in skid steer mode on shermans now. Even then, it turns better one direction than another, and I have done many tests to prove it. Im told eventually the Russian may get back to looking at the issue and making more.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:29 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Which outputs you need? I have them in my tamiya tanks and every function is covered. It has even 2 servo ports.

The board sharing some ports with heng long is because it has been designed as straight swap with the heng long boards, hence the name HL. Heng Long. But it is very easy to use in any other project.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:28 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Hi RAD old friend I just pre-ordered a Haya Centurion which as you know comes with a CLARK Board as standard,
In your opinion Is the BIER SFR -1-HL Board a viable fit or must I put up with the very limited Clark board?
Unlike Crius I have no great affection for Taigens V3 although I too wish I had bought more ASP2 while they were still available..
I at least have had no problems with my IBU 2 Pro Boards (Probably the kiss of death for saying so) maybe because after programming the SD card I have left them well alone.
A very happy Holiday to you and your family
Old 12-22-2022, 08:43 PM
RichJohnson

Received 365 Likes on 232 Posts

I think the key with IBU2 boards is leave them alone. Im betting static zaps the chips and wipes them out. I tested 3 my friend gave me that I would pay for if they worked. He took them out of working tanks he sold just for me. They worked in recent years last he used them. Then he pulled them and saved them for me. All 3 are dead on the turret traverse channel. I tried different cables, different radios and then sub'd in one of my boards and it worked but his 3 did not. Just like the pile of others I have. Quite sad. I need more boards. I may look into the HL Bier board and see what it offers.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:23 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Thanks Rad
I did read your first review, but had not seen the second one. I'll read it later today. Reading your write up about the Beier board had me thinking a board like that would work well on a tank recovery vehicle project I'm working on. I want it to have a working crane, winch, and dozer blade, plus of course the normal tank track controls, along with some cool sounds. I'm a ways from building it, still doing the 3d design, but a good control board in on my parts list.
Looks like a cool thing what you have in mind, obviously more complex than a normal tank.
But I am not sure about how many things will move on it. I guess that crane will pan and tilt, so you can use one of the turret rotation motors for rotating the crane, and one servo output for moving the crane up and down. The other output which is normally used as barrel elevation can be used as a winch, and the last servo output for the dozer blade. All the light outputs can be used for powering something, as well as the smoke output. But yeah, think in advance what you need and then I will be able to guide you.

Originally Posted by jarndice
Hi RAD old friend I just pre-ordered a Haya Centurion which as you know comes with a CLARK Board as standard,
In your opinion Is the BIER SFR -1-HL Board a viable fit or must I put up with the very limited Clark board?
Unlike Crius I have no great affection for Taigens V3 although I too wish I had bought more ASP2 while they were still available..
I at least have had no problems with my IBU 2 Pro Boards (Probably the kiss of death for saying so) maybe because after programming the SD card I have left them well alone.
A very happy Holiday to you and your family
I am not sure what kind of wiring this newer Haya tank has, but for sure you can fit it (or any other board) on it. So far, Clark boards are absolute no go for me, so you would do great fitting one Beier. Heck, I'd rather make my own messy spaguetti dish with several ESCs and Benedini sounds and light board if that prevents me for fitting the clark board on my toys, lol.
Merry christmas and happy new year to you, old friend of mine!

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
I think the key with IBU2 boards is leave them alone. Im betting static zaps the chips and wipes them out. I tested 3 my friend gave me that I would pay for if they worked. He took them out of working tanks he sold just for me. They worked in recent years last he used them. Then he pulled them and saved them for me. All 3 are dead on the turret traverse channel. I tried different cables, different radios and then sub'd in one of my boards and it worked but his 3 did not. Just like the pile of others I have. Quite sad. I need more boards. I may look into the HL Bier board and see what it offers.
My IBUs 2 and 3 failed several times, but I must say I sent them back and they were graciously either repaired or replaced at no cost... I loved them back in the day they saw the light as a hobby entry board, but long time that I cannot say the same. I have heard too that there are no newer IBUS because the lack of chips, but who knows what awaits us in the future!

And for all of you, don't forget the Kim's board, which can be a good alternative too. Reviewed here: https://radindustries.wordpress.com/...m-olsens-mtcu/

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 12-22-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:15 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
I would really just like to see the IBU2U updated with simpler performance algorithms but the mfr isnt interested and infact now Im told he cant even make them due to chip shortage.
I'd be happy if he would just do another run of the original IBU 2 Pro green boards. I would buy at least a half a dozen of them if he did.
RichJohnson (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 10:52 AM
Durahl

Which outputs you need? I have them in my tamiya tanks and every function is covered. It has even 2 servo ports.
Like I said, I use 3 of the 4 Motor Connections ( 2x for the Drivetrain and 1x for the FPV Periscope ) and all of the 4 available Servos ( 1x 360į Turret Rotation Servo, 1x Gun Elevation/Depression Servo, 2x Recoil Servos ).
Leaves me with one Motor Connection to spare - Could potentially have turned it into some kind of weird **** like an UHU Searchlight strapped to the back of the Turret but well 😉
The board sharing some ports with heng long is because it has been designed as straight swap with the heng long boards, hence the name HL. Heng Long. But it is very easy to use in any other project.
Well that was kinda obvious - But still... For D.I.Y. Projects I'd rather have dedicated wiring for each component. Having two Components share a Common Ground seems kinda like a P.I.T.A. ( like how the Light Wiring works on the SFR-1-D works )

Btw... Beier still isn't interested in making their Boards compatible with Tamiya Battle Units because "Not enough interest" and "No information on their IR Protocol" 😑
Old 12-23-2022, 11:45 AM
tankme

Received 199 Likes on 162 Posts

Btw... Beier still isn't interested in making their Boards compatible with Tamiya Battle Units because "Not enough interest" and "No information on their IR Protocol" 😑
That's such a stupid excuse... I guess Clark, IBU, ASP, Heng Long, Elmod, Open Panzer, and Canshou all just guessed at how to make their boards Tamiya IR compatible.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:19 PM
Durahl

Originally Posted by tankme
That's such a stupid excuse... I guess Clark, IBU, ASP, Heng Long, Elmod, Open Panzer, and Canshou all just guessed at how to make their boards Tamiya IR compatible.
Yeaaa... I'm not exactly buying that unknown IR Protocol excuse either considering them already having somehow managed to gain access to the Taigen / HL ones... Like how the **** did they get those that would not also be suitable way for getting the Tamiya one?

And how difficult can it be to begin with replicating the Tamiya one anyway? While I don't have any Tamiya Battle Unit equipped Tanks the way I interpret it is that the only thing that changes with them is the defined weight of the Tank allowing for 3 / 6 / 9 shots to be taken.
I believe there is no such thing as a Light / Medium / Heavy Shot that would add any additional complexity to the System so the only thing they'd have to do is figure out a single IR Signal to send and react to and programming a 3 / 6 / 9 hit setting.

Apparently, there exists a "MAKO" Tamiya Taigen/HL conversion board but the last bit information of information I could find is like 5y old sooooo... /shrug 🤔
Old 12-23-2022, 02:31 PM
Rad_Schuhart

They do have the Tamiya protocol, I sent it to them, but they refuse to implement it, because they say almost nobody has interest on it.

The truth is I can count with one hand the people I know that has interest in IR battles in Europe, but c'mon, they must be lazy or blind and I don't understand why they refuse to do it.

So for IR battles I'd get the Kim's MTCU board.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:40 PM
Shagnifico

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish Beier would add the ir bus or Bluetooth that the have on their truck boards to their dual motor boards for wireless turret. Also the turret traverse sounds programming needs improvement on the sfr1-d.