Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Stencils with a Cricut

Old 12-30-2022, 09:50 AM
Tankhobby

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Stencils with a Cricut

So I was able to spend some time with the Cricut to make markings for my new jeep and I also made some for my M5A1 Stuart tank.

This is the clear transfer paper I used as a mask.

After I sprayed it with white spray paint (paper and painters tape to protect the tank already removed).

Not bad!

Here I used a mask for the hood's star and actually placed the cut out vinyl for the serial number. The bumper markings are also stuck on vinyl.

The stars were masks made with the Cricut. The bridge class disc I messed up, I used an airbrush but the pant was too thin. I then touched it up with a brush and made it worst. So I hit it with some fine sandpaper to make it look weathered. The yellow ends are not sharp but it does look weathered.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tankhobby:
ksoc (12-30-2022), Panther F (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 01:42 PM
RC_BobM

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Those look really good Nick! A cutter is on my list as well.
Bob
Old 12-30-2022, 04:33 PM
Tankhobby

Originally Posted by RC_BobM
Those look really good Nick! A cutter is on my list as well.
Bob
Thanks Bob,

I bought the one that does a 12" X 12" cutting mat thinking I needed that much area ($169.00), but they have a smaller one that is much cheaper that may work for our applications. You can control the newer ones through bluetooth so you can use a computer or a smart phone!
Old 12-30-2022, 06:15 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I was convinced when I heard guys speaking of these things so I purchased a new Circut Air II from a thrift shop and the first time I used it
I got good results. It had a bit of a chore with tiny fonts but I've since learned how to work with it.

Wish I'd had it when I made the stencils for my 1/6 M3 Lee. I will use it to cut stencils for my Sd.Kfz 7.

These 1/6 Nebelwerfer rockets were my first attempt. The paint I used was too 'wet' but they'll do.

Jerry

Old 12-30-2022, 07:17 PM
tankme

Received 199 Likes on 162 Posts

My girlfriend has a Cricut, but hasn't even used it since she bought it. Maybe I should learn how to use it instead...
Old 12-31-2022, 01:21 AM
Durahl

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Kinda curious concerning the use of Transfer Paper... Am I right to assume that the Transfer Papers adhesive Layer is only able to overpower the Films adhesive Layer ( and thus remove it ) while the latter is still attached to the Roll but once the Film is placed on the intended Surface the Films adhesive Layer takes over? 🤨
Old 12-31-2022, 03:43 PM
smittyrob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made all the markings on this 1/18 FW190 by making stencils using my Cricut Maker including all the numbers, fuel triangle, dotted wing lines etc.
I also have used it like a laser cutter to cut tail light covers and small flat pieces out of styrene. I made the "ZIL" hood ornament with the Cricut and styrene on this 1/12 RC ZIL157 pictured below.

Old 12-31-2022, 04:13 PM
Tankhobby

Hi Smittyrob,

Awesome, any idea how small you can go with the text? I'm asking for letter height (inches or mm) because font size doesn't correlate if importing rom a bitmap with the Cricut software.
Also, how thick was the styrene? I'm coming up with a lot of new ideas for this Cricut but any experience/input from the forum is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2022, 04:20 PM
RC_BobM

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Smittyrob - your FW looks awesome! And the text on KRAZ outstanding.

Tankme if I were you I'd confiscate that thing and get too work lol.

Time to buy one - I'm leaning toward the Silhouette Cameo - but any will work. I'm curious how small is too small as well.

Good stuff guys n gals
Happy New year!
Bob
The following users liked this post:
tankme (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 05:14 PM
smittyrob

Hi,

The "u" letter on the ZIL hood ornament is 2mm tall and about .30mm thick.
The thickest styrene I've cut so far has been 2mm thick, but you can experiment with different blades, adjust the pressure of the knife and make multiple passes. I did some playing around and found the standard knife that comes with the Cricut Maker is better at cutting very small items as the fine blade will bend and distort the cut. Also you have to tape the styrene to the cutting mat around the perimeter so there is no shifting while it is being cut.
The only thing that sucks about the Cricut is their software they try to get you to use. I use Adobe Illustrator to make the designs, then bring them into Cricut.

The Silhouettes are pretty good as well.

Last edited by smittyrob; 12-31-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:16 PM
smittyrob

[QUOTE=RC_BobM;12757033]Smittyrob - your FW looks awesome! And the text on KRAZ outstanding.

Thank you
Old 01-01-2023, 06:09 AM
Jeepy2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work! My wife helped me make these stencils for my old first release Tamiya 1/16 Sherman that I restored.