Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Calling Rad Schuhart.....front and center

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Calling Rad Schuhart.....front and center

Old 01-04-2023, 03:01 AM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Calling Rad Schuhart.....front and center

First i would like to say i have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reviews, honesty, transparency, humor thrown in, on your website, .and I sincerely mean it. I had a separate post about using the heng long 7.0, in two of my tanks so my son and I could do battles, but after further consideration this is not the route I want to take. I am into the realism of our toys, the sounds, and being able to configure commander commands, music, marches etc. I have the IBU (the good one) which is Tamiya compatible.and I am not even sure what its capabilities are anymore , I have been out of the game for a few years......My question to you is, and I know you don't do IR battles, I am looking for a system that encompasses both aspects. I would like inertia, sounds, customizing , being able to determine how many hits etc. I really like the Beier that you reviewed, and from your review it is not tamiya code ......take a hit the tank slows down, which sucks. so would your recommendation be the Kim's MTCU board? On a side note you state about having a decent transmitter I have the flysky i6s great radio and i also have the wonderful radiomaster tx16s.... what a beast of a radio that i still am learning after having it for a year.

Thanks,
Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 01-04-2023 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:15 AM
ronnie42

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

If you want inertia and the tamiya battle function why not have a look at ELMOD boards. Many people dismiss the new Fusion X board , this is because it has lost the external ESC OPTION and that the servos and lights are on an add-on board that an extra. it provides all needs for 1/16 tanks , just as good as the old board. If you have the TX 16s it covers all the options available . Here is the manual, it does not do the board justice, you see more when the boards connected to the app via use or the optional bluetooth accessory.
https://elmod.eu/pdf/FusionX_RevB_english.pdf
Old 01-05-2023, 04:01 AM
Rebellion13

I will definitely take a look into elmod. I actually have a very ancient elmod that i purchased from Phil who as many of us know passed away.

Last edited by Rebellion13; 01-05-2023 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:53 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi mate, here I am, lol.

First things first, Radiomaster TX16S. Excellent radio, great choice. I'd say the best in the market price-quality and is the radio that I'd recommend to everybody. So you are well suit there.
About IR battles... yep, Beier is still not Tamiya compatible. Yet again, Beier guy says there is no interest on it... I do believe there are indeed people interested on it, but due to nobody writes Beier, they don't even know it. They might implement if if all of you people, write them. So I encourage you to request that function to them! I did it myself, but I am only one fish in the pool.

And about inertia, well, Kim board works pretty good and he implemented a new gear system (I have to update my review with the most recent news) so you will have a decent realistic driving.

About the Elmod, well, I reviewed it in my website and back in the day I really liked it with passion... but I ended hating not being able to configure it to suit my taste. Sometimes I needed to disable the inertia, for example when climbing a bridge, when letting the children drive or many times more, and it was not possible. I always remember a RC event which was like 300 kms away from my home. My Elmod was configured with inertia and smooth driving at home, but when I put the tank over that grippy playground I could not move so I had to go back home without playing. That seriously killed me. Mr Elmod does not let you remove the inertia, and there will be always a lot whatever you do, and whatever other guys tells you. In the Beier and in the Kim's board, you can set a switch in your radio for selecting several driving profiles pre configured by yourself, which is more usefull that what it might seem. You can have the biggest inertia in the world, but if you need to disable it for a second you only have to flick the switch of your choice in your radio.

God knows I don't like to see the tanks jackrabitting back and fowards in IR battles, but if you do competitive IR play, an Elmod board makes you the easiest of the prays. Still, I consider the Elmod Fusion Pro a cool board, but I cannot say the same with the Fusion X with functions stripped, starting for next to none lights.

Anyway, if I were battling, I'd never get an Elmod, not only because the omni-present inertia, but the obsolete battle system. Last time I checked it had only what Tamiya has... which was OK, but more than 20 years ago. Things evolved quite a lot since then. The ASP board from Kevin was completely revolutionary, but due to is unobtainable, is not worth to mention it anymore, so for IR Battles I'd get Kim's board. Caliber, Piercing rounds, explosive rounds, machine gun combat, repair protocol and many things more are there for suiting your needs and bringing you fun. Are you in a club and you need strict tamiya rules? Then config the board with those. Are you with your children and you want to experiment realistic battles? Set the board. You can do even weird things like setting 99 lives to a tank (which can be cool, playing like you are the last half burried king tiger againts hordes of low caliber shermans) so my tip would be don't limit yourself with the wrong board, unless you have very clear you only want basic functions, which of course is a valid option for many too... but not for me.

Oh and I almost forgot! What if I tell you you can program your Radiomaster for having the inertia of your will, even with gear change simulation, and even with clutch if you want, with the cheapest speed controller you can find online? Yeah, that is the magic of open source radios.

Now you have more things to think about.

EDIT: And man, thanks for your kind words, glad you like what I write. It encourages me to keep on writting!

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 01-05-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 01:40 PM
Rebellion13

Brother you are awesome, thank you for the reply. This will just be battles with my son, I participated in One.........ONE organized battle, and I witnessed a panzer III with what apparently was a mach 5 turbo booster the tank shot across the battlefield like my sons traxxas slash.......hmm maybe I should put a turret on it. I will look into Kims board. Thank you