Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya 36204

Old 02-09-2023, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tamiya 36204

Hi I found someone selling a tamiya king tiger #36204 kit locally, but I can't find the model on their website. I presume then that its not current but can anyone tell me anything about it and/or where I could find information on it. I appears to be motorized but not sure if there is additional pieces needed.

Thanks you

Last edited by gwnm2; 02-09-2023 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gwnm2
Hi I found someone selling a tamiya king tiger #36204 kit locally, but I can't find the model on their website. I presume then that its not current but can anyone tell me anything about it and/or where I could find information on it. I appears to be motorized but not sure if there is additional pieces needed.

Thanks you
This is motorized, and yes to have it as an RC since this is their static version, you would need to gather parts, now I am not a 100% sure on some of the things, but you would need some sort of MFU board, whether it be Tamiya dmd/MFU or another 3rd party board clark,IBU,Beier, heng long, Taigen etc.So there will definetly be a lot of work involved. You would also need gearboxes, if I were to take a guess, the ones that come with this are most likely not suited for RC but I could be wrong on that.. As far as other parts, I do not know if this version has a turret ring, included servos etc.
The following users liked this post:
gwnm2 (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 10:28 AM

I did find the manual for this and you would need a different gearbox. From what I see is that the included gearbox uses a clutch system with one motor, these have been discontinued probably why it is not on their website

Last edited by Rebellion13; 02-09-2023 at 10:37 AM.
gwnm2 (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 12:09 PM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

My advice is to wait until you find a full option kit. From what you've posted I gather you're still kind of new to the hobby, and converting a static model to RC can involve headaches galore. If the static kit is a really great, great deal you might snatch it and stash it away until you've gained more experience, but like I said, for now, if I were you I would keep looking for a full option kit. They come up on eBay from time to time, but be prepared to spend anywhere between $1,000 and $1,200, if not more. Sorry I don't have better news for you, but that really is how I see it.

Personally, I think I would try to find a torro. I believe it has a more robust lower Hull and I think it will serve you better than the Tamiya kit. And since it was designed to be RC right from the start, parts are readily available and if you want to make a battle tank all you need is an aftermarket board and the battle unit.
gwnm2 (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Crius
My advice is to wait until you find a full option kit. From what you've posted I gather you're still kind of new to the hobby, and converting a static model to RC can involve headaches galore. If the static kit is a really great, great deal you might snatch it and stash it away until you've gained more experience, but like I said, for now, if I were you I would keep looking for a full option kit. They come up on eBay from time to time, but be prepared to spend anywhere between $1,000 and $1,200, if not more. Sorry I don't have better news for you, but that really is how I see it.

Personally, I think I would try to find a torro. I believe it has a more robust lower Hull and I think it will serve you better than the Tamiya kit. And since it was designed to be RC right from the start, parts are readily available and if you want to make a battle tank all you need is an aftermarket board and the battle unit.
Great advice Gary, I did not even think of the Torro lower hull as a recommendation Yes he is new to the hobby and it would most likely be frustrating to figure what goes where, heck it would be a headache for me lol. if he would choose the Tamiya I am pretty sure he would have to change the mounting points to fit in another gearbox, the Torro already has a mounting plate which of course would make installation a heck of a lot easier

Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 02-09-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:46 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

I agree wait tell a full option Tiger comes up on ebay like Gary said or get one from torro .
I built a Tamiya King Tiger from a display model to full option one I got done I had the tank I wanted the way I wanted it full option with many updated after market parts it ended up costing me more then if I had got the Tamiya full option kit by its self and as they don't sale all the parts for it now it would most likely cost even more just to fined the original full option parts.
Otherwise it all depends on what you want to do with it you can put in cheap gearboxes and a 3rd party control board and turret servo no recoil and just have a backyard runner but if you want a battle tank and recoil its going to run up in price plus you will have to figure out how to mount some of the hardware for all this do a search on this site to see what others have done to make one work .
Thanks
Jimmy

Last edited by bowlman; 02-09-2023 at 12:54 PM.
gwnm2 (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:10 PM

MotionRC has a lower hull for $129 but there is only one left in stock, and you would also need gearboxes, wheels, tracks, an upper hull, and a control board. Taigen does offer a kit version where you would just need the electronics and gear box, speaker, transmitter etc. They are currently sold out though.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:37 PM

Thanks you
I will give you my 2c if you want it. What are you interested in? Meaning I know you were asking about a Tiger 1 and a King Tiger. What is the end game you are looking for? IR battles, airsoft, or just something to drive around, you can still do IR in case down the road you want to battle. I personally have never used any tank for airsoft, if you do weathering and add details the airsoft will plink off all the hard work. With that being said, if you supply us with some other info as aforementioned, we can at least guide you better. I know it can be really overwhelming, But we can offer our advice to get you started. Nothing like making a purchase and then the headache that comes with it trying to piece together everything, and being new just adds to the frustration. As far as battling you can have Heng Long protocol which is just a basic IR system, when the tank takes a hit the tank wiggles 5 hits and your done then it resets. A Tamiya IR and other better aftermarket boards (Tamiya battle standards) your tank takes a hit and the tank slows down until more hits and then it is disabled. Some of the other boards even have implemented disabling of the turret, or a track pretty neat stuff, but you do not need to worry about that at this time. We are here to help

Cheers
Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 02-09-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:06 PM

Great advice everyone and thank you. Yes I am new to hobby. Due to a health condition I am looking for time filler, and I like the idea of building a kit. As for use, I had hoped to find a friend who might be interested in "battling", but they have balked at the prices, I was thinking heng long, so until some of them come around to the idea and price, I thought I would try my hand at building something. The kit I started this post on was local, and only had the box open for pictures, its complete and around $500 Canadian but based on what I have read above I would probably pass. I like the idea of driving them around a bit, and I could see myself having multiple different tanks at some point, even if they are just for show.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:17 PM

Great advice everyone and thank you. Yes I am new to hobby. Due to a health condition I am looking for time filler, and I like the idea of building a kit. As for use, I had hoped to find a friend who might be interested in "battling", but they have balked at the prices, I was thinking heng long, so until some of them come around to the idea and price, I thought I would try my hand at building something. The kit I started this post on was local, and only had the box open for pictures, its complete and around $500 Canadian but based on what I have read above I would probably pass. I like the idea of driving them around a bit, and I could see myself having multiple different tanks at some point, even if they are just for show.
I would pass on that too. IMHO I would still go the IR route, even if you are the only one with a tank you can add recoil and barrel flash, I have seen airsoft with recoiling barrel but you can not have the flash, the airsoft is fun if you have a basic bb tank, I would just weather it and be done, you can shoot targets etc, to me though it gets boring after awhile. Taigen, MotionRC, and Toucan hobby have a bunch of tanks. It all comes down to what you want to spend. Heng long will all come as RTR controller and everything you need to get started, but you stated you wanted to build something, for that I would recommend a Taigen kit. on my previous response the King Tiger is not in stock though. I am building the Sherman kit from them and it is a lot of fun, unfortunately only when I have the time, which is limited.. I would say do as much research as you can and then you can make an informed decision

Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 02-09-2023 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:21 PM

I forgot to add the Henglong have plastic lower hulls, they work, but the Taigen is mostly metal and more robust, metal tracks,road wheels, and suspension
Old 02-09-2023, 03:34 PM

there is a tiger 1 taigen kit at a local retailer. i will probably go that route, it would have been nice to have a king tiger as well, but in the future i guess
thanks again
Old 02-09-2023, 04:54 PM

there is a tiger 1 taigen kit at a local retailer. i will probably go that route, it would have been nice to have a king tiger as well, but in the future i guess
thanks again
I checked the price on the Tiger kit at Taigen sheesh $449, a few years ago I paid $235 quite a divide huh?

This is from Taigen that I copied if it helps

This kit will come unassembled, does not include a manual, and will require some very basic skills to put together. It is not a difficult assembly, however if you do have questions feel free to contact us on the site and we will be glad to help with any issues. This kit will also come unpainted and without a smoke unit, motherboard, speaker, or transmitter. This model also does not come with gearboxes, we suggest the V2 gearboxes (4:1, High/Low, 58mm shafts) for this mode
Old 02-09-2023, 08:34 PM

yes prices seem very high

I was told with this kit all I'D need is a battery...I'm looking forward to it

​​​​​​https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...d-card-speaker
Old 02-09-2023, 08:42 PM

yes prices seem very high

I was told with this kit all I'D need is a battery...I'm looking forward to it

​​​​​​https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...d-card-speaker
When you said kit I thought you had to assemble it. So it is actually the RTR, ready to run? Unless the kit has the electronics with it and you still have to build it.Either way you will soon be the proud owner of a Tiger 1

Wade
Old 02-09-2023, 08:52 PM

its this kit....
​​​​​​https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...ronics-options
tankme (02-09-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 02:45 AM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

You said you would like to try battling but your buddies balked at the price so there is another option you might consider. Get the very cheapest all plastic HL Sherman and the all plastic HL tiger. All the HL tanks now come with 7.0 Electronics so you'd be all set for battling, and if you start out with the plastic tanks you can probably get both the Sherman and the tiger for about the same price as the Tiger kit. With two tanks you could have one of your buddies drive one and they would get an opportunity to check out battling and what it's all about. That might change their mind about the price, or they might go ahead and get a cheap 7.0 tank. Either way, I think you need to show them just how cool these things are and you never know, you might end up with a couple of battle buddies.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:56 AM

If you plan on this route I would have them open it up to see if in fact the electronics are included, not that you are paying a high price and no elec is included. If they are not, then I would make sure they are not over charging you, I would compare prices if you already know what they are charging. Keep in mind though shipping charges for online, which you won't have to worry about since the tank is local.

Wade
Old 02-10-2023, 09:47 AM

You said you would like to try battling but your buddies balked at the price so there is another option you might consider. Get the very cheapest all plastic HL Sherman and the all plastic HL tiger. All the HL tanks now come with 7.0 Electronics so you'd be all set for battling, and if you start out with the plastic tanks you can probably get both the Sherman and the tiger for about the same price as the Tiger kit. With two tanks you could have one of your buddies drive one and they would get an opportunity to check out battling and what it's all about. That might change their mind about the price, or they might go ahead and get a cheap 7.0 tank. Either way, I think you need to show them just how cool these things are and you never know, you might end up with a couple of battle buddies.
thats a good suggestion i might do that
Old 02-10-2023, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rebellion13
If you plan on this route I would have them open it up to see if in fact the electronics are included, not that you are paying a high price and no elec is included. If they are not, then I would make sure they are not over charging you, I would compare prices if you already know what they are charging. Keep in mind though shipping charges for online, which you won't have to worry about since the tank is local.

Wade
They already informed me the electronics kit is separate but they do stock it
Old 02-10-2023, 10:16 AM

thats a good suggestion i might do that
Crius made a great suggestion. Then if you want you can upgrade as time and funds allow. Now if you want to you can also still go with the Taigen and the cheapest Heng Long, you stated earlier you would like multiple tanks, just another option, a more expensive option but none the less another option. You see, us on here have no problem spending your money lol.

Wade
Old 02-10-2023, 10:39 AM

I would suggest looking at MotionRC and Toucan Hobby. Toucan also has a US based store, and they also have an Ebay store. I see that MotionRc is out of stock on a few of them.

I found this one with metal road wheels suspension, and tracks, not a bad price and I believe it is at the US warehouse. I have not checked what their price is though for the plastic version
https://www.toucanhobby.com/products/th17244-usqc-dzn1
Old 02-10-2023, 10:49 AM

i will certainly entertain other options and money spending suggestions