Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Tamiya MF and Taigen Recoil Compatibility >

Tamiya MF and Taigen Recoil Compatibility

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya MF and Taigen Recoil Compatibility

Old 02-09-2023, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tamiya MF and Taigen Recoil Compatibility

Can the Tamiya MF-01 multi-function electronic unit operate a Taigen IR motorized (not servo) Recoil unit?

The Tamiya MF has a 3 pin socket for recoil connection. I donít know how many wires are on the Taigen Recoil. Tamiya moves backward and forward at the same slow speed. Taigen moves backward fast, then forward slowly. So the action is a bit different.

In addition, the Tamiya DMD, has 2 wire connectors for both elevation and traverse. I assume Taigen elevation and traverse units (motor not servo) are the same, in that regard, and the DMD should be able to operate both of these Taigen units.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:16 PM

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure the compatibility but the Tamiya unit has 2 motor wires and one switched wire, whereby the switch actuates by mechanical movement of the recoil mechanism upon a complete recoil cycle, so I would suppose if the Taigen has a similar motor leads and a switch wire it may operate similarly.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:24 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure if this helps, it is a 3 pin jst.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:04 PM

Received 217 Likes on 175 Posts

Wade, it seems you pulled that pic from the OpenPanzer site. The OpenPanzer TCB requires the Asiatam (IE: Taigen) recoil system to be rewired to get it to work. I believe that pic is after the unit has been rewired for use with the TCB. That Yellow wire goes to the limit switch. If I recall correctly, the limit switch needs to be used for the unit to operate correctly. I'm not sure if it would work with the Tamiya electronics as I've never heard of anyone doing it.

Derek
Old 02-09-2023, 08:29 PM

Ahh gotcha, I didn't realize it was rewired. Ok move along nothing to see here.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:20 PM

I'm not a fan of the Asiatam units and have removed them from all of my vehicles that came with them. I have at least 3 or 4 of them laying around at home. They were replaced with servo recoil and elevation fabricated from 3D printed units I print at home. The .stl files are free from RC Tanks Australia. I'm sure RSEA could rewire one of these units no problem, but it is a matter of knowing how to do it. I just don't know how it should be wired for Tamiya. I also couldn't say if the Tamiya and the TCB would need the same modification to get it to work. The TCB has a built in low power ESC for elevation and another for turret rotation.

From the Open Panzer site:

Taigen/Asiatam Recoil Units

The TCB is compatible with Taigen/Asiatam mechanical recoil units, but they must be re-wired. This requires some very simple soldering. You can still use the same 3-pin plug that comes with the recoil unit, so no extra parts are required. After the modification is done, the unit plugs into the RECOIL port on the TCB.

For correct operation, make sure you select Mechanical Recoil as the Mechanical Barrel type on the Motors tab of OP Config (as opposed to the other option which is Airsoft).

See the video and photos below for instructions on how to modify the recoil unit.

Derek
The following users liked this post:
Touch Connors (05-20-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. Donít know if the Open Panzer modification will work with the Tamiya MF unit. Iíll look into it.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by RSEA
Thanks for the replies. Don’t know if the Open Panzer modification will work with the Tamiya MF unit. I’ll look into it.
I came across this on another forum, might want to read this, the mod did not work out too well

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...php?f=1&t=4514
Old 02-10-2023, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rebellion13
I came across this on another forum, might want to read this, the mod did not work out too well

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...php?f=1&t=4514
He obviously didnít know what he was doing.. If you are going to screw around with electronics, you better do your research first, before just haphazardly experimenting with connecting wires up to things. And use test meters to probe connections, etc.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:09 AM

He obviously didnít know what he was doing.. If you are going to screw around with electronics, you better do your research first, before just haphazardly experimenting with connecting wires up to things. And use test meters to probe connections, etc.
Oh I agree with you. I don't know your level of expertise on such matters, so I figured I would post this so you could read the headache he had. I myself would probably not attempt it, and I do know what I am doing when it comes to rewiring, voltmeter etc. Would hate to see you burn out your board. But it seems you are capable.

Cheers
Wade
Old 02-11-2023, 10:28 PM

I fired up this Taigen Late Tiger for the first time today. This is the first Taigen tank Iíve owned. Have only owned Tamiya tanks prior to this one. This is the Metal Premium version of the Taigen Tiger..

I bought this tank for two reasons. Out of curiosity to see if the Taigen would be a viable replacement for the Tamiyas for IR battle use. And because I wanted a Late Tiger with steel wheels. No steel wheels, periscope cupola, etc are currently made for the Tamiya Tiger I.

Coming from the perspective of owning, driving, maintaining and IR battling a Tamiya tank, I can say that this Taigen is purely a cheaply made toy copy of the Tamiya Tiger.

Sound:
The audio the Taigen board puts out is absolute rubbish. The sound effect samples are cringingly bad. The sound quality is poor as well.

Turret:
There is no proportional control of either traverse or elevation. There isnít even bi-directional stick control of the elevation.

Driving:
The cheap radio, combined with not enough gear reduction and lousy ESC performance makes it unpleasant to drive.

Accuracy:
Does it actually look like a real late Tiger? Kind of.. But several mistakes were made. The periscope cupola looks the worst of anything on the whole tank. Partly due to saving on production costs and the other part??? I know what a real late Tiger cupola looks like, the designers of this toy do not.

Weight:
Itís a HEAVY model. For IR battle use that is not a good thing. I donít see gearboxes lasting very long in this tank. Especially with all the small rocks scattered about on the battlefield. The metal turret is totally unnecessary and adds a lot of dead weight.

In summary:

The Good:
It has decent looking steel wheels, smaller diameter idler wheels and ice cleat tracks. It has OK looking zimmerit. It was already painted (decently). Even with that stuff they (Taigen) made some mistakes.

The Bad:
The electronics and engineering.

The Ugly:
That goofy looking periscope cupola..

Conclusion:
Iím definitely not going to try to use the Taigen recoil/elevation unit, as the elevation control it offers is totally unacceptable to me.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:08 AM

I fired up this Taigen Late Tiger for the first time today. This is the first Taigen tank I’ve owned. Have only owned Tamiya tanks prior to this one. This is the Metal Premium version of the Taigen Tiger..

I bought this tank for two reasons. Out of curiosity to see if the Taigen would be a viable replacement for the Tamiyas for IR battle use. And because I wanted a Late Tiger with steel wheels. No steel wheels, periscope cupola, etc are currently made for the Tamiya Tiger I.

Coming from the perspective of owning, driving, maintaining and IR battling a Tamiya tank, I can say that this Taigen is purely a cheaply made toy copy of the Tamiya Tiger.

Sound:
The audio the Taigen board puts out is absolute rubbish. The sound effect samples are cringingly bad. The sound quality is poor as well.

Turret:
There is no proportional control of either traverse or elevation. There isn’t even bi-directional stick control of the elevation.

Driving:
The cheap radio, combined with not enough gear reduction and lousy ESC performance makes it unpleasant to drive.

Accuracy:
Does it actually look like a real late Tiger? Kind of.. But several mistakes were made. The periscope cupola looks the worst of anything on the whole tank. Partly due to saving on production costs and the other part??? I know what a real late Tiger cupola looks like, the designers of this toy do not.

Weight:
It’s a HEAVY model. For IR battle use that is not a good thing. I don’t see gearboxes lasting very long in this tank. Especially with all the small rocks scattered about on the battlefield. The metal turret is totally unnecessary and adds a lot of dead weight.

In summary:

The Good:
It has decent looking steel wheels, smaller diameter idler wheels and ice cleat tracks. It has OK looking zimmerit. It was already painted (decently). Even with that stuff they (Taigen) made some mistakes.

The Bad:
The electronics and engineering.

The Ugly:
That goofy looking periscope cupola..

Conclusion:
I’m definitely not going to try to use the Taigen recoil/elevation unit, as the elevation control it offers is totally unacceptable to me.
This is by no means, going against what you have stated.I agree on many points. I used to own Tamiya tanks but sold them off years ago, not because I didn't like them they were great years ago, if I were smart I would have sold off just the electronics and used an aftermarket board, as the Tamiya electronics are far outdated, yes if the only thing it will be used for is jack rabbit battling then they are superior, but as time has gone on and this is just my opinion, I think they are overpriced, and now that there is a apple receiver that can be purchased through etsy for a third of the price, has better range, even in sunlight. The gears well I have used the steel gearbox in my one Taigen and I beat the snot out of it and have never had a problem. Recoil and elevation I use servos, so the innards that come with the tank are removed. None of my Taigens have the original electronics.Cosmetics yep different story Tamiya is definitely better. I believe everyone involved in this niche should have at least one Tamiya, the assembly is fun, easy and they just plain work. I have a king hauler that I am customizing and it is a great product. I do like the heft of the Taigen's it makes the driving experience more tank like, for battling nope you need a tank that is lite as a feather and has a scale speed of 107mph. IMHO it comes down to what you want the tank for, which you stated. I used to do battles and I only used Tamiya, but since I am no longer in a group, I felt I did not need those anymore and that is why I sold those off. As I have gotten older and my son and I are the only ones with tanks in the area.......I live amongst farmlands, corn, cows and horses so nothing in the area or even in close proximity.

Cheers
Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 02-12-2023 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:45 AM

Conclusion:
Iím definitely not going to try to use the Taigen recoil/elevation unit, as the elevation control it offers is totally unacceptable to me.
Which is why I don't use them and switch everything over to servo control.

Derek