Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
1/6 RC Kubelwagen conversion >

1/6 RC Kubelwagen conversion

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/6 RC Kubelwagen conversion

Old 03-06-2023, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1/6 RC Kubelwagen conversion

Rather than hijack Crius' thread I thought I better start my own. Inspired by his progress on converting a Dragon 1/6 Kubelwagen kit to R.C. and having one sitting around new in box I decided to give it a go. My local hobby shop was nice enough to let me measure a bunch of RTR RC trucks to find something I could work with. I settled on a cheap 1/12th scale short course truck called a RC-Pro "Shredder". It was fairly easy to adapt the trucks chassis to the kubelwagen pan. Adapting the kits wheels to fit the chassis was a little tricky but they worked out well,

The Dragon kit itself is pretty decent except for a few details. The instructions are horrible with many errors. Some parts are completely left out of the instructions. One illustration shows the handbrake installed backwards! or maybe this was a rare Kubelwagen variant where the rear seat passenger is in charge of the hand brake (part L3).

One thing that really looked odd to me is that when the windscreen is folded up it is almost straight up and down and there is a huge gap under it. It should be angled back quite a bit. I put sort of a lot of effort into getting it to sit more correctly with no gap. The windscreen is also much too wide but I didn't do anything about that.

I added working head and tail lamps, The RC-Pro receiver/speed control has built in sockets for lighting but they don't turn on/off by remote. They are just on anytime the car is on.

I made the rear engine hatch removable for battery access, It is held in by a tab and magnet arrangement. I also cut the storage bin lid loose (this part is molded as part of the body) and glued it to the rear seat. This too is held in by a tab and magnet and easily removable for access to the motor, steering servo, electronics and battery. The motor and servo are under the back seat. The steering linkage goes under the drivers seat and legs up to the steering bell crank. The Shredder truck comes as 4WD the front and rear differentials are connected by a hexagonal steel shaft. I bought a longer shaft on Amazon but later decided to leave it out so that currently it is rear wheel drive only like the real thing. The coil spring suspension is not accurate of course but is very well hidden, the Shredders original springs where way too soft to support the much larger and heavier kubelwagen body. I found something at my local hardware store that worked out perfect and it has just the right amount of springiness.

I left off the turn signals and rear view mirror because they would too easily be broken off on an RC version. I went with the early war grey colour because I had the paint already and there are many details on this car that represent an early war vehicle plus it came with a grey convertible top. I actually think the later tan/camo cars are more visually interesting..

Overall this was a fun, fairly simple project that wasn't very expensive and didn't take very long to build.

Jason

The following 2 users liked this post by schmitty1944:
Tailspin (03-07-2023), tankme (03-06-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 10:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Cool project, the axle integration looks great! I'm surprised a 1/12 crawler axle would be big enough to work for 1/6 but these cars were not big in real life. I like the servo hidden under the rear seat! Very cool!
Bob
Old 03-08-2023, 02:40 AM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

I'm using a Short Course Truck for mine, mainly because I liked the way the motor is attached to the rear axle, kind of like an old vw, and the Short Course Truck was rear wheel drive only, just like the real kubelwagen. The Box said that it's a 1/10 scale truck. I think when it comes to crawlers and short course trucks they're not really very close to scale. The body might be somewhat close but the axles are usually way too wide, I think that's to accommodate the massively oversized tires they put on those things.

Last edited by Crius; 03-08-2023 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:44 AM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

And Jason, you can hijack my threads anytime you want, Bro.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:38 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!
Old 03-08-2023, 07:48 AM

I think the Shredder is considered a short course truck as well, at least, that's what the guy at the hobby shop said. I asked him what does "short course truck" mean? and he said it's a truck that doesn't run for very long. I thought hmmm.... I've had some real trucks like that before.
Anyway, I've learned the scale of the donor vehicle has nothing to do with it's usefulness for conversion projects. It's mainly the wheel track that you want to be as close as possible. The wheel base is pretty much always way too short but that's easy to change.

I have an unfinished 1/16 Kubelwagen RC conversion where I used a Losi micro T desert truck as the donor. Losi calls it 1/36 scale. I bought a box of them at a swap meet in various conditions for $10.

Crius, I appreciate you don't mind my posting in your thread. I posted a few pictures and they where kind of huge and I realized that might be considered rude.

Jason
Old 03-08-2023, 08:22 AM

Here is a photo with the original Shredder body next to the 1/6 kubelwagen:

Here is the 1/16 kubelwagen (unfinished) conversion and the Losi micro T used as a donor. The kubelwagen is built from the Tamiya static kit.

Here is another 1/16th kubelwagen that I built around 25 years ago. This one is the Tamiya RC version which is a nice kit but fairly simplified RC. The kit comes with RC transmitter, receiver, motors etc but has no suspension is not proportional and is fairly toy like in operation.

A couple more pictures of the 1/16 conversion. It's very similar to the 1/6 just smaller. I made the back seat come out in the same way for access to the battery, motor esc etc. Just to be different I built it with the side curtains installed and made the top detachable and can be switched between up or down.

Jason.

Last edited by schmitty1944; 03-08-2023 at 08:26 AM.