Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

German big 3

Old 03-09-2023, 06:31 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default German big 3

Here’s my torros. Look great out of the box but still need to some crates and things. All will need decals. Currently working on a 1/35 model for practice of dealing with these bigger boys

Old 03-09-2023, 09:04 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

"Uncle" Night Shift has super nice Chipping and Weathering Tutorial:

Basically, first chip using the Tanks Base Color but lightened up a bit ( Sand for the Tiger and King Tiger, Green for the Panther ) using a Sponge followed by the smaller Steel Chipping on top of the previously made Chips using a small Brush - Just take a break every once in a while as it can easily be overdone.

After that a bit of silvering of the Weld Lines and then some "Dry Brush" using an Arts Craft Charcoal Pencil along the edges and stuff to be smudged around using a Finger which will give it an ever so slight Metallic Sheen which can widened by misting some Alclad Steel using an Airbrush.

It's how I made my E-100 giving it that impression of Heavy Steel.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:11 AM

Thanks! It can be overwhelming with all the techniques. The king tiger has some nice metal paint around the edges and things. The others are just straight camo. I was thinking of just doing a wash on the tiger 1 and maybe just leave the panther alone.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:25 AM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

They look really good, but I always thought the Big 3 was the Tiger, the King Tiger, and the Jagdtiger? I'm pretty sure the panther was classified as a medium tank, but I could be wrong about that. A lot of the experts say that the T-34 was the best tank of World War II, but I think it was the Panther. At the end of the war all of the allies were trying to get as much of the German technology as they could, and I know the British got the panthers. They even continued to build them after the war.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Crius
They look really good, but I always thought the Big 3 was the Tiger, the King Tiger, and the Jagdtiger? I'm pretty sure the panther was classified as a medium tank, but I could be wrong about that. A lot of the experts say that the T-34 was the best tank of World War II, but I think it was the Panther. At the end of the war all of the allies were trying to get as much of the German technology as they could, and I know the British got the panthers. They even continued to build them after the war.
I classify he big three on coolness factor. The panther was considered a medium tank but by our (US) ww2 standards it really was a heavy tank. If you could meld a T-34 and a panther I believe it for sure would have been the best tank out there. Germany could just not compete with the sheer numbers of T-34’s they were putting out. The war was prob lost in 42 or so in reality.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:13 PM

Okay, I get it, but if you're going to use cool Factor I would say one of the big three would have to be the German tank that killed more Allied tanks than any other, and that's the StuG III. The panther only came into existence because Hitler ordered that the t-34 be copied, and the panther was the result. Don't get me wrong, I think the panther is a very cool tank and my jagdpanther is one of my very favorites and that was definitely one of the baddest tanks in World War II, the panther chassis with that 88 mm gun mounted in it. I think anyway it goes either the jagdpanther or the stug should be in the big three instead of the panther. But, I guess it's all a matter of personal opinion. And both the stug and the JP were technically tank destroyers, not tanks, so looking at it that way I would say I agree with you, but I still like my JP the best.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:52 PM

Oh I love me some tank destroyers. Especially the Stug III. Shoulda just made a billion of them. But yeah I was just referring to “tanks”. But the jagdpanther, jagdtiger, stugs, elefant, all beasts.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:37 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I thought he meant German big 3 "Cats" Then those 3 would qualify.

A quick, cheap, easy weathering technique you can use is to sharpen a pencil so the lead is exposed on one side, then use that to rub the lead onto corners of your tanks to emulate places were the paint has been worn off. Rub it on bolt heads and it makes them look like they have been recently worked with a wrench. If you goof up and make a line on the flat areas, it just looks like a scratch in the paint.

The following users liked this post:
ErikElvis (03-10-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 04:43 PM

Received 383 Likes on 241 Posts

The best tank was the one that win the war lol.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:18 AM

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I would avoid Decals and where possible use stencils,
After all the German Army did
Goto--- www.radindustries.wordpress.com/ for a very nice set of stencils,
Tell Rad what you want and he will make them and deliver them for a just a few pennies,
Rad by the way is a member of this Forum and a great guy to deal with.
ErikElvis (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
The best tank was the one that win the war lol.
Spoken like a true Sherman Fanatic.
RichJohnson (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by jarndice
I would avoid Decals and where possible use stencils,
After all the German Army did
Goto--- www.radindustries.wordpress.com/ for a very nice set of stencils,
Tell Rad what you want and he will make them and deliver them for a just a few pennies,
Rad by the way is a member of this Forum and a great guy to deal with.
I’ve been highly considering stencils. Might have to give him some work. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2023, 11:19 PM

Anyone know of any add on skirts available for a heng long stug III? Thinking of repainting and wouldn’t mind adding some.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:49 AM

I did a simple Google search for side skirts and about the 5th or 6th entry that came up was from a place called RC militarmodelbau and they offer a side skirt kit in 1/16th. Looks like brass photo-etch. If you need a link I can put one up when I get home from work tonight but I still haven't figured out how to do that on this phone. Anyway, have you thought about scratch building? Just regular brass sheet stock, it looks like the skirts they used are simple rectangles, this might be a really good time to try a scratch build.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:23 AM

Cool. Was looking for somewhere in the US but that works. Asking online about the paint color used on Heng long stugs it seems you’re better off repainting the whole tank if you have the pro edition with metal wheels. Won’t find their color. I may be willing to take on a camo stug.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:21 AM

Received 383 Likes on 241 Posts

JVm3dconcepts produced some special side skirts for panthers. They said they can make them look like anything. They are on instagram
Old 03-16-2023, 05:51 AM

Last edited by ErikElvis; 03-16-2023 at 10:02 AM.