Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

How to fix shooting issue

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

How to fix shooting issue

Old 03-09-2023, 08:49 PM
DefCon4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to fix shooting issue

My son has 2 Heng Long 1:30 scale RC tanks (M4A3 Sherman & M26 Pershing).

They worked great for a while, but now every shot fired always "hits" the other tank, even if facing the complete opposite direction. All shots always hit.
Which of course means you can't battle with them.

Any ideas how to fix? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:35 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Where is the emitter located? Could you put it down inside a 6 mm tube the way they do with the 1/16 battle tanks?

Another option might be to put a little tape over the receiver, say make it so that it will only take hits from the front or from the sides. But I really think the tube would be the best solution. One of the rules for battle tanks is that the emitter has to be in a tube and it has to be at least 9 mm from the end of the tube to the face of the emitter. That tightens the IR emission to a tighter beam.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:52 AM
oldwolf75

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Has the battle venue changed? Was he at first outside in good weather (when things worked right) and is now indoors? Light colored interior walls can reflect the ir so that the “shot” seems to come from all directions.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:01 AM
DefCon4

Originally Posted by oldwolf75
Has the battle venue changed? Was he at first outside in good weather (when things worked right) and is now indoors? Light colored interior walls can reflect the ir so that the “shot” seems to come from all directions.
Thanks for reply!

Interesting to know about the reflections against white walls, but no the venue didn't change. Still in our living room.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:34 AM
oldwolf75

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It is very odd. Things very seldom become more powerful or more sensitive with the passage of time. Generally, the opposite is true. New batteries, perhaps? Making the emitter bulb put out a stronger burst of ir?

The above suggestions of putting the emitter bulb in a metal tube to restrict the ir beam will help. May as well try that.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:43 AM
DefCon4

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Crius
But I really think the tube would be the best solution. One of the rules for battle tanks is that the emitter has to be in a tube and it has to be at least 9 mm from the end of the tube to the face of the emitter. That tightens the IR emission to a tighter beam.
YEP. This was it!
I was able to fix the tanks by pushing the emitters further up into in the cannon/gun tube. Thanks you you!! You guys rock.
The following users liked this post:
oldwolf75 (03-10-2023)