Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Centurion full option questions >

Centurion full option questions

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Centurion full option questions

Old 03-19-2023, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Centurion full option questions

Hello everyone.
I am currently building Tamiyas full option Centurion and have just got to the stage of hooking up all the electronics etc. I have the Japanese edition that came with the Finespec 2.4 radio system ( it worked well on my Abrams) and have a couple of questions for the hive mind. The gear boxes are really loud, almost overpowering the speaker sounds, all greased up but still loud. Is this normal? Also not all the buttons work, the main gun and machine gun, 9 and 10, work fine but the volume buttons, 2 and 5, do not adjust the volume nor does button 6 shut off the engine. I have tried to rebind the system but cannot figure out how to do this. What am I doing wrong here.
Thanks
Dave
Old 03-20-2023, 12:20 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Since I own neither the FineSpec 2.4G nor a Centurion I can't really help with the question but just in case...

Gearbox:
According to the Manual it looks like you have to assemble the Gearbox yourself ( like with the Leopard 2A6 ) - have you checked none of the Gears perhaps scraping against a protruding Screw?
The MB23 Pinion Gear situated above the two Screws holding the Motor to the Frame seems to be such a Prime Candidate. I also don't assume the Gearbox allowing for increasing or reducing the play between any of the Gears, huh?

Remote:
Do you have access to the missing Secondary Functions ( Cannon Firing, etc... ) by triggering them "Manually" via the Stick and Trimmer Combo instead of the "Automatic" Buttons?
Do all of the Primary Functions ( Driving, Turret Rotation, Gun Elevation ) work as supposed to?

My technologically most recent Tamiya Tank is the Leopard 2A6 but I'd wager the Smarts of being able to just push a Button is still not part of the Controller in the Model but the Radio relying on the Receiver being properly hooked up to the Model ( Channel X of the Receiver being hooked to Channel X of the Controller, etc... ) as otherwise the paired Receiver will be receiving the Proper Commands but the Controller doing nothing with them because they're arriving on the wrong Channel.
The following users liked this post:
regsbyg (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 02:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by regsbyg
Hello everyone.
I am currently building Tamiyas full option Centurion and have just got to the stage of hooking up all the electronics etc. I have the Japanese edition that came with the Finespec 2.4 radio system ( it worked well on my Abrams) and have a couple of questions for the hive mind. The gear boxes are really loud, almost overpowering the speaker sounds, all greased up but still loud. Is this normal? Also not all the buttons work, the main gun and machine gun, 9 and 10, work fine but the volume buttons, 2 and 5, do not adjust the volume nor does button 6 shut off the engine. I have tried to rebind the system but cannot figure out how to do this. What am I doing wrong here.
Thanks
Dave
I have two of them. I cant help you with the gear box noise since I am hearing impaired. For me, the tank runs and makes noise as it does. Good as I am going to get. Is the noise from speaker or gearbox? I cant tell.
As for the control buttons on the radio it comes with, I had a similar problem and ended up resetting everything to factory specs ( there are instructions on how in the paperwork the tank and radio come with). After that I was able to get all set up ok.
By the way, if you dont read Japanese, I discovered that I can take a picture, with my iphone, of the paragraphs that are in Japanese, and I get a popup that asks if I want a translation. Very handy, since I think the full operation version that is the one that sells in Japan and comes with the radio, may not have as much printed in English and other languages, as one sold for the US and European markets.
The following 2 users liked this post by oldwolf75:
regsbyg (03-20-2023), tch2000 (03-31-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 07:15 PM

Thanks
I looked at the gear boxes and didn’t see any gears rubbing against screws as I ran them but it must be something I am missing.. I will give it a closer look this weekend.
cheers
Dave
Old 03-21-2023, 10:47 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your inspection reveals no obvious mechanical issues...

How I make my gearboxes quieter...

I suggest you experiment with adjusting the lash on your motor pinion to the first gear. Usually, the gears that turn fastest, make the greatest noise. I adjust Tamiya black cap transmissions to get them quieter. I know that the Centurion and the Sheridan have field assembled gearboxes, but these techniques may prove helpful.

A scientific approach would be to enlarge the motor mount hole and the screw holes on the transmission frame. Oval them slightly with a Dremel. Then, reinstall the motor and manually move the motor to adjust the lash to make things quieter. The closer the lash, the more noisy they will be.

Unscientific approach is just getting a big pair of pliers, and bend the motor mount about while the tank runs until one gets the desired sound reduction. I usually gently push the motor around (while it runs in the transmission) to see if the sweet spot is available BEFORE I get the pliers or Dremel out. Enlarging holes or plier assisted bending just make the location permanent.

I also make sure that the gears are turning on their intended bearing surface instead of making their whole shaft rotate. Shafts that rotate cause noise too.

If all else fails, isolate the shafts by removing them one at a time. Run the gearbox, and listen to see if the noise has subsided. Start with the second shaft from the motor pinion, then proceed one shaft at a time as you move towards the final drive. When you identify the noisy shaft, then analyze what can be done to quiet it down if anything.

A nice project for a rainy day...

Last edited by Jeff489; 03-21-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:22 PM

Thanks Jeff for the advice. It’s supposed to rain here on Saturday so a good day to try it.
cheers
Dave
Old 03-21-2023, 03:25 PM

Thanks
I tried factory reset but still no joy with adjusting volume or engine on/off. I will keep plugging away at it. Must be missing something so I will try the translation thing.
cheers
Dave
Old 03-21-2023, 06:42 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Adjusting volume; 2 places

Hi, A best guess: reread these pages. The Tamiya 1/16 RC Abrams and Type 10 have a Master Volume set button, in each tank. I have not built the Centurion, but probably the same deal for your model. See the last page at the bottom of this thread and start your hunt for Master Volume there. Good luck, John

Adjust master volume here, best guess.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-21-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:56 PM

Thanks John
I will give it a re read.
Dave
Old 03-29-2023, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave,

I've also recently built a Centurion. I agree it has a loud gearbox. I had to boost the speaker volume to cover the gearbox noise. But you can still hear it nevertheless. Oh well. I would pick the dual 540 gearbox (in Abrams) over the dual 380 motor gearbox any day.

I also got the Finespec 2.4G transmitter. All functions worked right out of the box, and I did very little to adjust it.

Hopefully you have fixed it by now or found a workaround.

Cheers,
Eric
Old 03-30-2023, 05:49 AM

Thanks Eric.
I did get the radio issue worked out, just reset everything and all is good. Gearbox not so lucky I had it apart(right gearbox as it is the loud one) and went step by step through it but still loud.🤷🏻. Thanks for the reply and I agree about Abrams gearbox.
‘Dave
Originally Posted by ezrc88
Hi Dave,

I've also recently built a Centurion. I agree it has a loud gearbox. I had to boost the speaker volume to cover the gearbox noise. But you can still hear it nevertheless. Oh well. I would pick the dual 540 gearbox (in Abrams) over the dual 380 motor gearbox any day.

I also got the Finespec 2.4G transmitter. All functions worked right out of the box, and I did very little to adjust it.

Hopefully you have fixed it by now or found a workaround.

Cheers,
Eric
Old 03-30-2023, 07:19 AM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

I don't think this will work with a Tamiya gearbox because of the plastic gears, but with the All Steel gear gearboxes I use a little lapping compound when I break them in, and that really cuts down on the noise. I think I have a video somewhere, I remember doing a before and after comparison on the taigen V3 gearboxes, and I remember they were considerably less noisy after I lapped the gears. I don't know if you could remove the plastic gears and just lap the metal gears, but that would be something I would investigate.
The following users liked this post:
regsbyg (03-30-2023)