Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

T84 track by JVM 3d concepts

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

T84 track by JVM 3d concepts

Old 04-12-2023, 09:17 PM
RichJohnson

Received 366 Likes on 233 Posts
Default T84 track by JVM 3d concepts

So I posted this the other day in my Leopard 1 build thread but I am sure alot of people pass over my thread and dont read it because they have no interest in the tank genre.

I received my order of T84 track pads for replacing tamiya's nylon steel cleat track pads. The T84 pads are printed in black resin and look amazing and fit perfectly. They run perfectly and have good grip as you will see below.
They also make new resin end connectors that they say can be used once because they are a tight press fit but they will not work again if removed. They also make a pershing type center guide as well as running spares for tamiya track since parts and track are no long available.
I liked the product so much, in my correspondence with them I asked if they could make a tamiya leopard 1 track pad. They said they would try so I sent them one of my traditional leopard 1 track pads for tamiya track to see if they can make them.
This is exciting stuff as Impact was the only one making this stuff and they are long gone.

So far JVM3dConcepts is only on Instagram.

I tore down the tamiya pershing track that I was using on my leopard 1 build and got it all into base components. I recrimped all the metal ECs as tamiya ECs will fall off while driving if not crimped before being tapped on. I made a specific crimping tool from a cheap pair of vice grips by grinding down the face to have a tab on top and bottom jaws to compress the center dent in the tamiya EC.

If you have a pershing or sherman these pads are so great since your track is probably worn down by now with no hope of replacement. You just have to break it down and rebuild it. I will get a picture of my crimp tool so people can make them.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:26 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Good to know. My tracks are already worn and I was unsure of what to do. This looks like a good alternative, but... how much does it cost?
Old 04-12-2023, 09:28 PM
RichJohnson

Part 2
So JVM makes the components I listed above for rebuilding tamiya tracks and keeping them going.
But, I got to thinking, with their EC to replace Tamiya's metal end connector, all you need is the pins really. What if I could find steel pins and make track from scratch?
Mainly because I dont have near enough pershing track for my leopard 1 project tanks.

So I scoured the net and didnt find much .049 thousandth steel pin or rod stock. Music wire was all I could find. So what the heck I bought a few pieces to test out.
Aside from cutting the stuff which is a serious pain, then grinding the ends smooth to length I was ready to assemble a section.

Below is my attempt to build tracks from scratch using the music wire and the JVM track components, not utilizing any of the tamiya brand components.
The music wire stays in the plastic ECs pretty well. Once tapped in I held the EC and tried to pull the pin out with my fingers and they did not come out.
So far I think this idea just might work out. Ive sent my feedback to JVM along the way too. They said they are not going to be making up track by hand to sell that is just way too much labor but if my experiment works out they may take some ideas from it.
For now I ordered another full set of T84 with ECs and center guides to try and build up a full set of track from scratch. Also those Leopard 1 track pads which I assume they will be able to do since they can make the T84 pads.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:38 PM
RichJohnson

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
Good to know. My tracks are already worn and I was unsure of what to do. This looks like a good alternative, but... how much does it cost?
I was the second customer to get on this band wagon as I saw Fsttanks had used them on one of his pershings, he turned me on to them.
I cant comment on what they are going to charge. I told them what I wanted and they werent sure they would work on Leopards and I knew they would and they warned me they were also just past the experimental phase too and just got them ready to go. They dont even have a store up yet, they have been making various hobbies of products.
I really dont think they are going to be out of bounds for cost when they have a retail price. But, what other option do we have either?
I know I have 5 more leopards I plan to build tracks for with this stuff.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:20 PM
Fsttanks

Received 245 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
I was the second customer to get on this band wagon as I saw Fsttanks had used them on one of his pershings, he turned me on to them.
I cant comment on what they are going to charge. I told them what I wanted and they werent sure they would work on Leopards and I knew they would and they warned me they were also just past the experimental phase too and just got them ready to go. They dont even have a store up yet, they have been making various hobbies of products.
I really dont think they are going to be out of bounds for cost when they have a retail price. But, what other option do we have either?
I know I have 5 more leopards I plan to build tracks for with this stuff.
Yes I have a full set (pads, center guides and end connectors) on one of my Tamiya Pershing and another set on a M41 modified with to run them using a Pershing sprocket. I have been running them for months now with no issues or loss of end connectors. The components are made out of a "super strong" engineering grade resin.

My first set was acquired via trade in testing and evaluation time, the second full set was just under $100. A full set includes ~1100 pieces (~400 pads, ~500 end connectors and ~200 center guide teeth). Which is far more then needed for, Pershing, Sherman or Leopard 1 length of tracks. Considering Impact track pads alone used to sell for about $100 I feel JVM3D is fairly priced given the quality of material and sheer number of parts you get for the money.

As Rich noted, JVM3Dconcepts can be contacted through Instagram @ JVM3Dconcepts.

This is what the tracks look like after a few months of running on my Pershing.

JVM3Dconcepts T84 track pads and components on Tamiya Pershing.

JVM3Dconcepts T84 on left and Impact T84 tracks on right. The Impact tracks have been discontinued.

Tamiya Pershing running T84 track components by JHV3Dconcepts.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-12-2023 at 10:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rb67mustang (08-10-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 03:54 AM
tankme

Received 200 Likes on 163 Posts

No doubt they look interesting. I've always wondered if those pads could be printed in a harder type TPU and be serviceable
Old 04-21-2023, 12:37 PM
Fsttanks

I stopped by JVM3Dconcepts this morning and what did I see. An order of tracks components being readied for packaging and shipping out. This is what a set of Leopard 1 track components look like. Something like 1300 individual high precision parts.

I also got a sneak peek at some new TD M60 parts as well.

Old 04-24-2023, 02:27 PM
RichJohnson

Those must have been my leopard pad track order you saw.
I sent them a leopard pad for Tamiya tracks ad asked if they could make those pads for me. After a short bit they confirmed they could and gave me a price. Today I saw the notice my order is complete.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:17 PM
rb67mustang

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What a great looking set of tracks, and yes the price is hard to believe. I have to see if I can get a better set of tracks for my old Tamiya M4.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:55 AM
RichJohnson

These pads are made to fit tamiya, you just have to tear down your track and replace the pads with these. I make a custom crimper tool to re crimp the metal end connectors before you re insert the pins. Otherwise the pins come loose. The 3d end connectors they provide work great and rarely come loose.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:39 AM
Ziptar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been rolling this thread over in my noggin off and on for a week or so, in particular your post RichJohnson...

Part 2
So JVM makes the components I listed above for rebuilding tamiya tracks and keeping them going.
But, I got to thinking, with their EC to replace Tamiya's metal end connector, all you need is the pins really. What if I could find steel pins and make track from scratch?
Mainly because I dont have near enough pershing track for my leopard 1 project tanks.

So I scoured the net and didnt find much .049 thousandth steel pin or rod stock. Music wire was all I could find. So what the heck I bought a few pieces to test out.
Aside from cutting the stuff which is a serious pain, then grinding the ends smooth to length I was ready to assemble a section.

Below is my attempt to build tracks from scratch using the music wire and the JVM track components, not utilizing any of the tamiya brand components.
The music wire stays in the plastic ECs pretty well. Once tapped in I held the EC and tried to pull the pin out with my fingers and they did not come out.
So far I think this idea just might work out. Ive sent my feedback to JVM along the way too. They said they are not going to be making up track by hand to sell that is just way too much labor but if my experiment works out they may take some ideas from it.
For now I ordered another full set of T84 with ECs and center guides to try and build up a full set of track from scratch. Also those Leopard 1 track pads which I assume they will be able to do since they can make the T84 pads.
Please tell me if I've got this right.... If I don't have any Tamiya tracks I can build a set if order JVM's T48 tracks pads, center guides, and end connectors and use the Heng Long M26 Pershing drive sprockets, "if" I can make my own .049" pins? Ideally I'd like to outfit both my M4 Sherman (with your 3D printed HVSS suspension) and Walker Bulldog with these tracks.

A little internet searchery turned up this at Mc Master Carr, 0.049" Spring-Back Multipurpose 304 Stainless Steel Wire 12 inches in length, 100 pieces for $24.48 https://www.mcmaster.com/8908K54/, You think that wire would work for making pins? Thought if I built a jig to cut them, maybe using my Proxxon rotary tool and some cutting wheels the work would go quickly. Granted I don't know how long the Tamiya pins are yet but seems like there's allot of pins in 100' and for $25.00 in materials, could be worth it. I'd be keen to try rather than tracking down sets of Tamiya tracks which wouldn't be cheap once found just for the pins and end connectors.

Old 08-27-2023, 05:02 PM
rb67mustang

So far JVM3dConcepts is only on Instagram.
Richard, I don't plan on using Instagram. I hope JVM has another way to purchase these tracks soon. At that price, I don't want to miss out on getting a set or two of their tracks.
Roger rb67mustang
Old 08-27-2023, 05:07 PM
tankme

Received 200 Likes on 163 Posts

You can get the steel rods much cheaper than McMaster-Carr off Amazon or AliExpress. I love McMaster-Carr, but they are more expensive than any other place you will find.
The following users liked this post:
rb67mustang (08-27-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 06:17 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by rb67mustang
Richard, I don't plan on using Instagram. I hope JVM has another way to purchase these tracks soon. At that price, I don't want to miss out on getting a set or two of their tracks.
Roger rb67mustang
JVM3Dconcepts doesn't sell direct on tank parts at least not right now. It's not their primary business. The owner has taken a liking to 1/16 tanks so is very willing to develop new offerings as time permits. As I understand it they are working on building a catalog of tank parts first and the T84 track is just one. I am working hard on getting them go public soon with a parts website.

But in the meantime they do sell selected items through RichJohnson's retail web site. If you want a set or two of the T84 tracks components I would contact Rich and to see about placing an order. I do believe the price has gone up a little on the components but how much I do know.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:03 PM
rb67mustang

Thanks, Fsttanks, It's getting late for me, but I'll get in touch with him tomorrow and find out what the cost is.
Thanks,
Roger rb67mustang
Old 08-29-2023, 10:47 AM
RichJohnson

Yeah JVM does not sell direct to the public. Many of the items you see like these track pads were things I asked them to design for us. That’s why I carry them on my site though some are custom order only.

The T84 track was made to replace Tamiya pads but can used with your own wire. I used the exact wire you posted from McMaster Carr to make up two more sets for my Tamiya Leopard 1 tanks. They seem to work pretty good so far.

The draw back for a Sherman with hvss is the center guide I had them make is is the Pershing guide not the Sherman one. They are different.
If you wanted a set I will have to inquire on the cost of a run for you. It’s not something I stock. I will warn you it takes a lot of work but it is kinda fun and looks awesome on the tank. The color is slightly translucent dark rubber color. That’s the only way they can make them.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:55 AM
Ziptar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tankme
You can get the steel rods much cheaper than McMaster-Carr off Amazon or AliExpress. I love McMaster-Carr, but they are more expensive than any other place you will find.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out, I already though McMaster-Carr wire was cheap.

Yeah JVM does not sell direct to the public. Many of the items you see like these track pads were things I asked them to design for us. Thatís why I carry them on my site though some are custom order only.

The T84 track was made to replace Tamiya pads but can used with your own wire. I used the exact wire you posted from McMaster Carr to make up two more sets for my Tamiya Leopard 1 tanks. They seem to work pretty good so far.

The draw back for a Sherman with hvss is the center guide I had them make is is the Pershing guide not the Sherman one. They are different.
If you wanted a set I will have to inquire on the cost of a run for you. Itís not something I stock. I will warn you it takes a lot of work but it is kinda fun and looks awesome on the tank. The color is slightly translucent dark rubber color. Thatís the only way they can make them.
Sorry RichJohnson, I kind of dropped out of existence. Long story... Put our house up for sale the same week as my last post above. Within a week were under contract no contingencies, 30 day closing, 10% over asking for cash. We tried to by a house before our closing and wasted 2 weeks on one only to find out 1/4 of the foundation, the chimney, and fire place were separating from the rest of the house. I'm a remote worker so the Mrs. and I decided to nomad it for a while, bide our time, and find the right place. We had the movers store almost everything but stuff we might need while on the roam that we stored ourselves. It's been kind of fun staying in different places for a bit and looking around. Currently we've leased a big house that's empty for the winter 800 miles south of New Hampshire on the coast of Delaware until May. We traveled back up for my daughter's birthday 2 weeks ago, while there I grabbed my tank stuff out of storage and have commandeered the Ping-Pong table in the basement and repurposed it for tank production. Luckily the Mrs. doesn't play Ping-Pong.

All of that to say.... Sorry for my reeeeeeally slow reply. When you're able can you ask about the cost of the T84 tracks if it's not too much trouble. On the difference of the center guide pins is it just a matter of accuracy or are they not interchangeable? If the Pershing guide pins work with the Sherman HVSS I've no preference. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2024, 11:32 AM
RichJohnson

Typically the the Pershing guide pins will run fine in a Sherman.
but now that the Tamiya Sherman is back in production, if you plan to use the t84 pads on a Sherman, I would use Tamiya Sherman track, tear it down and replace the pads, which I have done several times for both Sherman’s and leoaprd 1 (Tamiya) tanks which use the same track but different guide teeth,
lit you used Tamiya track you would only need the pads not the ECs and guides and it would be a bit cheaper. I would need to get a quote now from JVM since resin has gone up in price a bit. Last I recall it would be about $150 for a full 3d set of track, thats pads, ECs and guides and you get your own steel pins. The big reason is the little parts are hard to make and do have a high failure rate with the thicker high impact engineering resin. But I will tell you, I love them and they make the tank look so much better and the t84 pads are more aggressive than Tamiya pads.