Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
How to remove M1A2 Abrams Track >

How to remove M1A2 Abrams Track

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

How to remove M1A2 Abrams Track

Old 04-13-2023, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove M1A2 Abrams Track

I've been searching for a while, but I couldn't find anything helpful at all. I recently got into RC tanking, and purchased an M1A2 Abrams from Heng Long. I've yet to drive it on anything other than solid surfaces, as I can't seem to remove the track. I will attack a image link below, but I haven't found any way to remove the sprocket, and I can't clean the rest of the wheels. Please help!

cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/906759360636665866/1096220766225322064/20230413_174954.jpg
(paste into browser)
Old 04-13-2023, 05:53 PM

Received 216 Likes on 175 Posts

If there is a hub cap on the sprocket, that needs to be removed to get to the screws on the sprocket. It can be a hex head or a philips depending on what they used. Typically it's a metric hex/cap head screw.

Other method is to pull a pin out of the track. On one side of the track, the pin will be slighter sunk in and on the other side it will be flush with the end connector. Take a small hammer and something like a thumb tack to use as a punch. Insert the thumb take into the recessed side of the track and gently tap the pin out. The side that is flush with the track is generally knurled so you don't want to push it the other way.

Or the third method is to remove the hub cap on the idler wheel on the very front. That will also have a screw under it and you can remove the idler instead of the sprocket.

Typically the hubcaps are press fit on, but they may have a little glue on them. Some of us use a little glue when putting them back on or use magnets glued inside to hold them on.