Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
TOAD THE GPA (Ford that is) >

TOAD THE GPA (Ford that is)

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

TOAD THE GPA (Ford that is)

Old 04-29-2023, 01:42 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts
Default TOAD THE GPA (Ford that is)

I got this Torro 1/16th scale Ford GPA last Fall. Gary recommended I get one, Colorado was freezing up right then, so I never got a chance to test it out in a pond or creek. Spring is here, so I took it out for a test. It did much better than I thought it would. I was quite impressed. Thanks Gary.

Capt. Chill is at the helm, so come on board and take a spin and a cruse with Toad the GPA.

The following users liked this post:
ksoc (05-02-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 07:15 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

That works great!

Haven't done anything more than the kitchen floor with mine. I does run smooth.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:18 PM

Yep. I ran mine on the kitchen floor all winter. It was fun to finally get it outside and test it out. It does run smooth, and the three speed / power settings are nice. The low power setting will not do deep mud, but the high power setting seems to do mud just fine. I used Archer dry transfers for the numbers and made custom stencils and painted all the stars on it because I worried that decals would float off when it was in water. I also designed and 3d printed the bucket.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:43 AM

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

That is really cool - I love the figures!
Bob
Old 05-01-2023, 09:07 AM

Received 383 Likes on 241 Posts

Mine has been quite fun driving it in rain ponds.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:50 PM

After Action Report:
It now makes a grinding noise and the gears slip when I drive it. It sounds like sand got into the gearbox. I'm bummed but not surprised. My plan is to open up the rectangular box on the bottom with the 4 screws. That is where the sound comes from. I undid the two screws by the firewall under the hood and it was very difficult to lift up. I think the back part of the top deck is glued in place. I did get it raised up enough to see the two motors, one for the wheels and one for the propeller. The motor that powers the wheels is mounted at 90 degrees to the drive shaft. That observation, plus the warning they include about not rotating the wheels with it turned off, makes me think that there is a worm drive setup inside the rectangular box.
I need to get a smaller screwdriver to open it up, so I can't dive into fixing it right now, but I will post pix of what I find inside that box on the bottom of the GPA when I open it up.
Old 05-01-2023, 05:31 PM

I opened up that box on the bottom of the GPA and was happy to see that it has metal gears, although it has nylon bushings. It's not a worm drive like I had thought, it is what I think is called a hypoid gear. The machine guys can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. The problem seems to be that the Allen set screw on the gear on the drive shaft loosened up and let the gears drift apart. I need to get a tiny Allen wrench to fix it, but the problem seems to be totally fixable. The box was still full of water when I opened it two days after the trip to the lake. I may add a drain plug to the box while I have it all apart. It is nice to see that these models are well built and can be repaired.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:16 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The issue with this differential is easy to fix.
I have add some brass washers.
Work very well:

Last edited by jha13; 05-02-2023 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:36 AM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

I like that brass washer idea, I think I might do that to mine as well, and I think I might also try to replace those nylon bushings with actual bearings. Believe it or not, I still haven't had mine in the water.
Old 05-02-2023, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by jha13
The issue with this differential is easy to fix.
I have add some brass washers.
Work very well:

Very cool! Thanks for posting that. You confirmed that my idea of how to fix the GPA will work. I still need to buy an Allen wrench the correct size to take the shaft apart, but I planned to use brass washers just like you did. What size Allen wrench fits those tiny set screws?

Gary, you should try it out in water, even if it's just the bath tub. It's cool to see it motor through the water. I used stowage to trim the boat and a small level to check it for level.

Old 05-02-2023, 04:57 AM

also, those two GPA's jha13 posted pictures look nice. I really like the crew figures you have riding in your GPA's.

Then there is that thing in the background with the tracks and the cannon mounted in the bed. That looks very cool. You should post a thread featuring that thing. I would be very interested to learn about it. I think other people would like to know more about it too.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:43 AM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

Looks like a famo with a 2 cm flak gun in the bed. I also like the figures in the two GPAs. Very much. In fact I'd really like to know where those came from?
Old 05-02-2023, 07:46 AM

Received 383 Likes on 241 Posts

The back deck does come off. I have taken mine apart completely.
if I recall correctly, you remove the spare tire from its wheel and the screw is under there. I did not put the screw back in.
You are supposed to fill the gear box with lithium grease through the stuffing tube next to the driver. That will prevent water from getting in.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
The back deck does come off. I have taken mine apart completely.
if I recall correctly, you remove the spare tire from its wheel and the screw is under there. I did not put the screw back in.
You are supposed to fill the gear box with lithium grease through the stuffing tube next to the driver. That will prevent water from getting in.
Nice tip, thanks Rich. I will undo that screw under the spare tire.

I did put grease into that hole. Bought a syringe with a metal tip just for that.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:23 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Then there is that thing in the background with the tracks and the cannon mounted in the bed. That looks very cool. You should post a thread featuring that thing. I would be very interested to learn about it. I think other people would like to know more about it too.
This is a sWS "Schwerer Wehrmachtsschlepper".
Take a look at RCTankwarfare:
Build thread sWS schwerer Wehrmachtsschlepper

But now back to topic....

Last edited by jha13; 05-02-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

SWS in brass is awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Bob
Old 05-08-2023, 06:24 PM

TOAD the GPA is fixed. I added brass washers like jha13 did and it worked. The gear that had slipped was the one on the motor shaft, not the drive shaft gear. I'm happy it could be repaired.