Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya 56019 vs 56020 Leopard 2A6

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya 56019 vs 56020 Leopard 2A6

Old 07-20-2023, 08:54 AM
WestCanMan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tamiya 56019 vs 56020 Leopard 2A6

I've seen both kits for sale on Ebay recently, but I can't find much information on the differences between the two. It looks like they are both full-option, and I read that 56019 was released for the Japanese market only, and comes with the Futaba 4ch radio. Other than that, it seems that 56020 is the more available kit. Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2023, 09:51 AM
Max-U52

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe the 19 comes with the radio and the 20 does not. Pitstain or John (Pcomm) would be the guy to ask.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:02 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WestCanMan
I've seen both kits for sale on Ebay recently, but I can't find much information on the differences between the two. It looks like they are both full-option, and I read that 56019 was released for the Japanese market only, and comes with the Futaba 4ch radio. Other than that, it seems that 56020 is the more available kit. Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks
Hello, Max is right. The difference between the two kits is what you wrote; it is the same model with different kit numbers. One comes with an RC Transmitter, Receiver and maybe a Transmitter Battery Charger and Battery (56019, Japanese Market Kit). The kit sold in the USA, 56020, does not include the RC radio gear. Both kits use the same assembly manual. Study the Tamiya Leopard 2A6 assembly manual online and it will all become clear. Thus, same exact model; one with transmitter and receiver; the other without the transmitter and receiver. This dual kit thing has to do with Japanese homeland consumer protection laws. Enjoy whichever you build.

Visit: https://www.tamiyausa.com/media/file...l-435-3d92.pdf

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 07-20-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:28 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on all posts so far.

Just realize that "Japan market only" models that are exported to North America are "Grey Market" items and (i.e. as to "grey market" Tamiya items exported to the US) TamiyaUSA.com will not support or warranty them. The item needs to go back to Tamiya in Japan. Was a big issue for Tamiya about 10 years ago and was mentioned on their official Tamiyausa.com website, but appears to have been removed.

FYI, I purposely decline to give any opinion of the ethics (or lack thereof) of purchasing Grey market goods. Use your own moral compass.

FYI, I believe the warranty period on Tamiya Full Option tanks is only 30 days...so it doesn't look like one may lose too much by buying.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:47 PM
cleong

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Itís probably a bit of a legacy thing from the past where different countries had different radio frequencies reserved for operating air or surface models - Tamiya may not have wanted to deal with the legalities of compliance for each market. Of course, these days 2.4ghz is practically universal but for most of us we still see a transmitter-sized empty space in our kits.

For warranties and more specifically electronics, my experience is that Tamiya Japan is willing to repair for cost of postage, as long as they havenít been altered (changed plugs) or had signs of soldering on the board. They donít ask how long Iíve owned the tank for, or if Iím even the original owner.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:53 PM
WestCanMan

Appreciate all the replies. I found one opened, complete, but not started, from a private party. It's a 50619, so it comes with the Futaba radio, which is a major bonus, imho. I thought that a 6 channel radio was recommended for this kit, but apparently my memory isn't as good as I thought it was.

I've spent a small fortune buying up every metal upgrade I can find for this kit, so hopefully it will last a long time. 😁

Last edited by WestCanMan; 07-20-2023 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Add more information.
The following users liked this post:
Pcomm1.v2 (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 07:57 PM
WestCanMan

Originally Posted by cleong

For warranties and more specifically electronics, my experience is that Tamiya Japan is willing to repair for cost of postage, as long as they havenít been altered (changed plugs) or had signs of soldering on the board. They donít ask how long Iíve owned the tank for, or if Iím even the original owner.
That's really quite amazing. I'm surprised that they don't require a paper trail like every other company when it comes to warranty work.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:30 PM
cleong

That's really quite amazing. I'm surprised that they don't require a paper trail like every other company when it comes to warranty work.
1/16th tanks is probably one of Tamiya's flagship product lines. I suppose its like buying a high end product from an already high end brand, they probably overlook the small stuff to keep their customers' loyalty.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:33 PM
tankme

Received 200 Likes on 163 Posts

1/16th tanks is probably one of Tamiya's flagship product lines. I suppose its like buying a high end product from an already high end brand, they probably overlook the small stuff to keep their customers' loyalty.
Now being the exception since they aren't stocking spare parts for their high end stuff anymore...
Old 07-21-2023, 06:33 AM
cleong

Originally Posted by tankme
Now being the exception since they aren't stocking spare parts for their high end stuff anymore...
Things have definitely changed since COVID but Iím curious what spare parts canít you order anymore?
Old 07-21-2023, 07:51 AM
Max-U52

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Things have definitely changed since COVID but Iím curious what spare parts canít you order anymore?
The left hand muffler bearing!! Constantly out of stock.
Old 07-21-2023, 02:42 PM
Durahl

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I thought that a 6 channel radio was recommended for this kit, but apparently my memory isn't as good as I thought it was.
Unless I've been missing out on a crucial bit of information - It's only ever been 4CH for either their Tanks or Trucks and a hunch is telling me they'll probably never add any more to it as the only reason that would force their hand would be the need for more than 4 Channels to act like a Stick/Pot/Slider instead of just an On/Off/Toggle Switch. That is if you plan to ONLY be relying on the Tamiya DMD for controlling functions of the Models... If you plan to add extra functionality then sure enough you'll be needing extra Channels.
I've spent a small fortune buying up every metal upgrade I can find for this kit, so hopefully it will last a long time. 😁
Just make sure for those to include the Metal Swing Arms - My now Leopard 2A7+ is as old as it gets ( I got mine in the first month of its release back in 2004 ) and while it took like a decade plus for one of them to break at the end of the day one of the Plastic ones did break.
Maybe also the Idler Wheel Tensioner with a more granular toothing and thus adjustability if you think you'll be wearing out the Tracks fast 🤔 But if it's mostly just a display Model you'll occasionally be driving around then really all you need is the Metal Swing Arms as the weight of the Model alone can be an issue.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:35 PM
WestCanMan

Originally Posted by Durahl
Unless I've been missing out on a crucial bit of information - It's only ever been 4CH for either their Tanks or Trucks and a hunch is telling me they'll probably never add any more to it as the only reason that would force their hand would be the need for more than 4 Channels to act like a Stick/Pot/Slider instead of just an On/Off/Toggle Switch. That is if you plan to ONLY be relying on the Tamiya DMD for controlling functions of the Models... If you plan to add extra functionality then sure enough you'll be needing extra Channels.

Just make sure for those to include the Metal Swing Arms - My now Leopard 2A7+ is as old as it gets ( I got mine in the first month of its release back in 2004 ) and while it took like a decade plus for one of them to break at the end of the day one of the Plastic ones did break.
Maybe also the Idler Wheel Tensioner with a more granular toothing and thus adjustability if you think you'll be wearing out the Tracks fast 🤔 But if it's mostly just a display Model you'll occasionally be driving around then really all you need is the Metal Swing Arms as the weight of the Model alone can be an issue.
This is what I have on order, all from King Kong RC, except for the tracks, and the last 3 items which are from DKLMRC.

- Metal Return Rollers w/rubber tires
- Metal Drive Sprocket Support Bearings
- Metal Road Wheels
- Rubber Tires
- Metal Torsion Bar Bearings
- Metal Spring Torsion Bars
- Metal Idler Wheels
- Metal Lower Hull
- Metal Tracks w/rubber pads
- Metal Torsion Bar Mounting Brackets
- Sealed Ball Bearings
- Bearings for road wheels
- Stainless Steel Swing Arms
- Steel Gears
- Metal Barrel Elevator Arm

My tank definitely won't be a shelf queen, she'll be sloshing through the mud and whatever other rough terrain I can find. 😁 Thanks for the suggestion of the swing arms, I had totally missed that upgrade. Any other essential upgrades?
Old 07-21-2023, 10:41 PM
cleong

Metal turret baskets, the plastic ones are pretty fragile. Also a cupola mounted MG3 would be good to have as the kit doesnít provide one.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:22 AM
WestCanMan

Metal turret baskets, the plastic ones are pretty fragile. Also a cupola mounted MG3 would be good to have as the kit doesnít provide one.

Would that be the IMPACT basket? I guess you can only contact them on Facebook?
Old 07-22-2023, 07:32 AM
cleong

Would that be the IMPACT basket? I guess you can only contact them on Facebook?
Yes, as far as I know, only Impact and AFV ever made them, and I am not sure if they are still available from either source.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:03 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Metal tracks + Metal hull means it will be quite heavy. No transmission upgrade is mentioned, but you'll need it. At least go for the DKLM metal gear kits if you are planning to use the Tamiya gearbox. Also you might want to drop in a 19 turn 540 motor for the drive motor. More realistic speed.

Also, you should consider some metal mirror upgrades. Schumo made them. I have 3 Leo 2s, and they always break.

Also, the foot strap steps on the track skirts always break on mine. Usually due to handling. They seem to be right where it gets grabbed. Schumo made a metal set of these too.

Last edited by Jeff489; 07-22-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Pcomm1.v2 (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 08:49 PM
WestCanMan

Yes, I purchased the steel gears kit from DKLM last night. I found the Schumo goodies on Axel's Modellbau, but unfortunately there's basically nothing available at present...Stainless steel idler adjuster is out of stock as well.😒

Last edited by WestCanMan; 07-22-2023 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-23-2023, 12:28 AM
cleong

Just sharing the hull upgrades on 2 of my Leopards, the hull reinforcement plates, torsion bar mounts and suspension arm carriers. The plates make it quite hard to remove the upper hull as it causes the speaker box to fit snugly. The torsion bar mounts help to spread the stress from the torsion bars, and should help extend the life of the hull. If you're getting the King Kong metal hull, this is perhaps redundant. The suspension arm carriers have grub screws, which leads me to think that you could slightly adjust the position of each suspension arm. I bought the whole tank used. If I was making my own decisions, I would only buy the torsion bar mounts.

Old 07-23-2023, 04:16 AM
WestCanMan

It's looks like a very durable setup. Did you upgrade the motors or gearbox, or is everything OEM?
Old 07-23-2023, 11:53 PM
cleong

It's looks like a very durable setup. Did you upgrade the motors or gearbox, or is everything OEM?
As I said, the reinforcement plates are overkill, and I run the stock motors and gearbox. I do have metal gear upgrades on my Abrams, because it broke.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:41 PM
WestCanMan

Happy to say that I received my 56019 yesterday, complete, and in brand-new condition. 😁 I had a Tiger I F/O kit many years ago, and, upon cursory inspection, it looks like this kit is more complex and advanced in comparison. Incredible that it arrived in only 7 days from Hong Kong to Canada. Now I'm just waiting for the all the after-market metal replacement parts to arrive. The model also came with a Nicd battery and charger, both of which I will replace with a Lipo battery and charger.
Hackworth (08-02-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 08:46 PM
WestCanMan

My inspiration in getting back into RC tanks! Saw this beast at a local truck stop and had to get out and a get few pics. I should have taken more. 😆

Hackworth (08-02-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 10:57 PM
tankme

Received 200 Likes on 163 Posts

The tracks on that Leo are way past replacement recommendation.
Hackworth (08-02-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 12:55 AM
cleong

Originally Posted by tankme
The tracks on that Leo are way past replacement recommendation.
Perhaps itís heading in to the depot for a refresh, rather than heading out for issue

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.