Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Oh yes, you can!

Old 02-06-2024, 07:22 AM
Durahl

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Lightbulb Oh yes, you can!

So on my Tamiya 56020 Leopard 2A6 the Fiber Optical Cables, in particular the ones on the rear, have started to degrade to the point where some of the Light from the LEDs situated inside the Tank weren't really getting to the Light Buckets anymore which started to rub me wrong which got me wondering if relocating, replacing, and maybe even adding LED's was an option but so far no one could answer this question.

Anyway... Curiosity got the better out of me and I've ordered a bunch of
prewired SMD LEDs off Amazon prewired SMD LEDs off Amazon
in various Colors and replaced the majority of the original LEDs with the SMD ones...

...and am now looking at a much more satisfying Light Output:

So yea... You can relocate, replace, and apparently even add LEDs ( within reason ) to the model for as long as you're comfortable with doing some soldering.

Also, since there weren't any Resistors to be found on the PCBs the original LEDs were soldered to I decided to not be adding the one that came with the SMD LEDs either ( running with the assumption that they'd instead be located inside the DMD )
The following users liked this post:
maillemaker (02-06-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 01:51 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

So, you soldered the new SMD LEDs into the circuit that the LED in the fiber optic light box used? It still works with the controls to change out the lighting?
Old 02-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Durahl

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
So, you soldered the new SMD LEDs into the circuit that the LED in the fiber optic light box used? It still works with the controls to change out the lighting?
Yea, after removing the original LEDs from the PCB the ends of the SMD LED Cables were soldered in their place ( after sanity checking the Voltage with a Multimeter and testing that Voltage on the new LEDs with a Benchtop PSU )
The main Headlights each had their own LEDs to begin with so not much of an issue but all the others required two SMD Leads to be soldered in place where before only one original LED was - So far not an issue.
The only Light Fibers I didn't change were the ones for the forward Combat Street Lights due to them being essentially welded into the 3D printed material of the 2A7+ Conversion Piece...

I've since also performed this MOD on my Tamiya 56016 M26 Pershing using 3000K White LEDs over the 6000K White ones I used on the Leopard 2A6 ( Tamiya apparently changed the M26 from using actual Lights to Light Fibers at some point 🤔 ) and unsurprisingly they too look better - Though I did have to 3D Print myself some new Glass Fixtures since I had to destroy the old ones for gaining access into the Light Buckets for gluing in the SMDs 😅

Light Controls remain unchanged on either ( pretty much any ) Model.

Last edited by Durahl; 02-10-2024 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:08 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Good to know, thanks!