Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Weapon station and turret fence for Heng Long Abrams >

Weapon station and turret fence for Heng Long Abrams

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Weapon station and turret fence for Heng Long Abrams

Old 05-20-2024, 12:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Weapon station and turret fence for Heng Long Abrams

Has anyone installed these parts that can give some guidance? There were of course no instructions, the weapon station is somewhat self explanatory, looks to be a matter of cutting some parts off the hatch ring and drilling holes for the pins, the fence I have no clue, doesn;t seem to have a natural location that lines up with anything I could even just epoxy it on.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:48 PM

Received 260 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by skyowa
Has anyone installed these parts that can give some guidance? There were of course no instructions, the weapon station is somewhat self explanatory, looks to be a matter of cutting some parts off the hatch ring and drilling holes for the pins, the fence I have no clue, doesn;t seem to have a natural location that lines up with anything I could even just epoxy it on.
The extended bustle rack simply attaches to the rear of the standard rack.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
The extended bustle rack simply attaches to the rear of the standard rack.
so just epoxy it on wherever I can find places that match up?
Old 05-20-2024, 01:44 PM

Received 216 Likes on 175 Posts

On the real tank, the extended bustle rack uses 6 U bolts to hold it on. You can see from my 3D printed version where the U bolts hold it on. Seems the Canshuo unit you have there does not have a full height center mounting point. Canshuo makes all these metal parts for the Abrams and others. Anytime you see a "CS* something on the baggie it's in, it's a Canshuo part. If you scroll down in my thread you will see how and where it mounts.

Long overdue M1A2 SEP v2 Abrams Build
Old 05-20-2024, 01:47 PM

Oh, and the weapons station (CROWS) fits over the existing doghouse (primary weapons sight). The doghouse is the square thing on the top front right side with the two doors that are supposed to open, but on the HL do not open.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by tankme
Oh, and the weapons station (CROWS) fits over the existing doghouse (primary weapons sight). The doghouse is the square thing on the top front right side with the two doors that are supposed to open, but on the HL do not open.
Obviously that raises the question of do I remove the entire machine gun mount back to the ring to try and make it look like it was never there or just enough to clear the CROWS, been scouring the net for photos of any installs or IRL setups with not much luck

Old 05-20-2024, 08:18 PM

BTW, your Abrams is the schnitz man, are you printing your own parts or is there a source you get them from, the tow bar is something I want just to cover up the ugly seam up front, but I'm pretty sure Toucan and the CS one they sell is not what I want if I can avoid it based on the bustle rack.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:38 PM

I bought a Trumpeter 1/16 sprue with a lot of the SEP parts, the rear bustle (and other stuff) was bought from Shapeways before CS was making their stuff, the TUSK2 kit was from Armoured Models as it was the only version available at the time, then it has the Heng Long metal hull, the CS 550 gearboxes converted to 540s, and a Clark TK80. I've been basically building the damn thing since like 2014. I also did a lot of scratch building on it. I think I'm going to say screw it and just finish it as is... Let me see what I can find in my Abrams books about the commander's cupola with the CROWS. I believe the .50 call mount is deleted, but I also think it's a different cupola all together. Heng Long mixed a bunch of Abrams M1A1 features with M1A2 features and called it an A2. The CS towbars are actually OK, I have a few of them for other US vehicles. The one on my tank is the Trumpeter version as I stole it from my Trumpeter M1A1 AIM kit.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:54 PM

I probably have a stack of Abrams books a foot high...

The following users liked this post:
skyowa (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:36 PM

That answers a few things, I can get away with just cutting the mount off and not be too out of whack mainly