Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Slipping Turrent

Old 07-04-2006, 11:25 AM
dacostasr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping Turrent

The turrent on my Pershing (tamiya) slips...but only when going to the left. To the right it seems fine. I tried the SEAD fix which was cable ties to brace the housing of the motor...didn't work for me.

Any suggestions...maybe I assembled something wrong? Could the wiring cause this..bunched up in the wrong place maybe? It has slipped on and off since I finished it but I want it to work just right.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis
Old 07-04-2006, 11:41 AM
tomzag
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Slipping Turrent

go to my site / product page for answer.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:23 PM
schutzstaffel

tomzag>>> that konigtiger beside you on the table on your picture looks like a price winner !
didnt find other pics of that tank on your site.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:26 PM
ksoc

Dennis,

I've used tht SEAD trick on a my tanks, and it does help. The Pershing is the tightest tank to wire, and cables can cause a lot of trouble. Since the problem only happens in one direction, it is probably wire related, and not the clutch slipping. Some like to bind all the cables together with small zip ties. Some like to let them run free. I like to bundle them up, but be prepared to use a lot of ties during maintenance. Next you might want to consider going to some other type of connector to get more room inside the tank. The Tamiya connectors are pretty big. I replaced mine with Deans connectors

http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/ultra_plug.html

While I was at it, I got rid of the 'Y' connector and soldered the MFU MDU to one connector. If you have more than one tank, you got to decide whether to convert all the batteries AND your charger, or just make an adapter for you battery's Deans plug and your charger's Tamiya plug.

Some people also modify or even delete the speaker box to free up interior space. You could cut the bottom off the box, or just keeping the speaker mounted it to a sheet of plex.

If the clutch is slipping all the time, Tom's gear is a permanent fix. In the short term, you can put a few drops of CA glue on the clutch, and hit it with some accelerator. Don't recommend that you try spinning the turret manually too much after doing this. Make sure you rotate it to the 'pop off' position before shutting down for the day.

Good luck

Kevin O'C

<S.C.A.T.>
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 AM
James S.

Don't use zip ties they catch on everything. I found some tape at Autozone that only sticks to itself. Its expensive ~10.00 for 10 ft but it is reusable and you really do not need that much.

I did the glue the clutch and replace the tamiya plugs with deans and still had issues until I cut the right side of the speaker box off (looking from rear of tank) if you do this be sure to put a small piece for metal or plastic to keep the battery from contacting the exposed gears on the right side gearbox.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:37 PM
TANKDUEL

Yep, forget zip ties, I just use electrical tape. The tape mentioned by jstewa41 sounds even better, as it would allow the wires to move a bit within the 'bundle'.
Nev