Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

M26 Pershing Details

Old 07-29-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M26 Pershing Details

Greetings all,

I'm trying to determine if the (combat-ready) M26 had two turret antennas installed or just one in the rearmost position, aft of the .50 M2.

Seems all the sources I see on the web show a museum or outdoor display tank with all antennae removed so I seek accurate info of how they went into combat.

Also, do the rear engine gratings expose the inner workings of the engine section or did they shield the radiators from shrapnel and debris? Seems gratings on both the HL and Tamiya are see-through directly into the hull interior exposing the wiring. Not too esthetically appealing to say the least.

Thanks,

-Harquebus
Old 07-29-2006, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: M26 Pershing Details

Just to confuse you I found war time photos that showed 1 and others that showed 2

http://www.wargamer.com/microsites/b...merican_05.jpg
http://korea50.army.mil/graphics/naktong.jpg

Though its possible I gues that the one with two really is a second tank behind the first but I really doubt it.

On the Tamiya you put fine black screen on the underside of the grates. This helps keep dust out and makes it harder
to see the inside.

Regards,

James
Old 07-30-2006, 12:42 AM

I'm going to put that black filter material we use on our computer fans to keep the dust, dirt and light water out.

From the pictures I've seen, I don't think there was anything under the grates.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60020.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	498927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31723.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	498928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66819.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	498929  
Old 07-30-2006, 03:46 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jstewa41:

Well, if it matters, the second pic is Korean era, and the first is WW2, probably very late WW2 as well.

Harquebus:

That being said, like with the Sherman tanks, the Pershings usually only had double whips if they had both an intra-unit radio (common) and a command set (uncommon) and even then, there was that stubby 'phantom' antenna that was used as well.

In the Pacific, because the Japanese specifically targetted the double-whip Shermans, orders went down that all tanks were to have a pair. Most tanks often 'lost' their faked whip really fast (report direct from a Pacific theatre tank vet)

If you like, I'll try to go through my archived pics of tanks, and see what develops.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 AM

To say it another way, the gratings should, at least to me, have some kind of back plating just below the grating that would allow air to circulate but protect the engine. Otherwise a marauding pack of enemy footsoldiers could rush the tank and easily put a few small arms rounds directly through the gaps on the grating and ruin the engine. Maybe it was just accepted that this area was vulnerable and it was left open...
I'll try the filter/mesh material idea for the gratings. Thanks for the heads-up on that one.

So if there was one antenna for one intra-unit radio set, it was always mounted in the rearmost part of the turret? I'm just trying to figure out what that other slot in the turret top is for. If it was any bigger I could put coins in there. [sm=idea.gif]

I'm trying to depict a late war WWII Pershing if that makes any difference.

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

-Harq