Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Interesting Big TANK picture (site)

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Interesting Big TANK picture (site)

Old 08-21-2006, 07:03 AM
dacostasr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Big TANK picture (site)

http://www.mark-1-tank.co.uk/events-...june-2004.html

WHile looking for zimmerit pictures I found this site...very cool.

Dennis
Old 08-21-2006, 07:14 AM
Shagnifico

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Interesting Big TANK picture (site)

Yeah they sale those big russian made models with the fiberglass bodies. The puma and the chally II are way cool.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:23 AM
navspook

Thanks for the link -- it's been awhile since I'd visited their site. Really cool pics. Everything looks more realistic -- esp where there is fire and smoke.

As Shag points out, the Russian tanks are fiberglass. The rest is metal. They cost around $4500 delivered in the US. In comparison, Armortek products are all metal, and heavier. (Consequently, Armortek is about 1/3 more expensive.)

Also, See Model Works Int'l from the great UK -- they have a fantastic Tiger I, all metal but it too is very expensive (around $8000 delivered to the US). Very nice tooling, all CAD.

Tomzag once opined to me that the Russian tanks were less reliable because of lower quality parts including transmissions (I think they fabricate everything at their factory in Volvograd). To be fair, I've also heard that these tanks are quite robust, meaning, they take loads of abuse and translated in maintainability terms, they require some replacement around every 200 hours of operation. (Don't know which parts but would guess transmission related).

Keep in mind, however, that any real armored vehicle requires frequent maintenance, repair and parts replacement. How much more authentic can you get?

For the money, the Russian tanks may be a good option if you want to go to the big big tanks.

Cheers....
Old 08-21-2006, 10:24 AM
tomzag
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

navspook
you remembered wrong.
I said that those russian made tanks runs fine. but the details on the tank suck, soft and blury.
so if you only want it run. go for it.
but i enjoy the details, so not for me.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 AM
navspook

Sorry to misquote you Tom.

With some work on the outside details maybe they're a good option to Armortek and the others?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:48 AM
sownare

Their WWII line is realistic. Their modern armor line runs too slow to be convincing. The detail on some of their fiberglass bodies are not the same. Their Challenger and T90 are a bit sparse.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:00 AM
navspook

Sownare:

Do you have one of their tanks?

I guess it might be difficult to build a lot of detail with fiberglass. The Tiger I on their web site looked pretty convincing.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:35 PM
shelden3

I wonder if the RC Dalek has an ir system to battle with?? That is cool.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:47 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As awesome as those things are to look at and would be to own, I would only be tempted to save up and buy one if they were fast, rugged (to the point of being almost indestructible) and had paint ball guns professionally installed at the factory.

Since I would have no other tanks of that scale to play with, it would have to be very entertaining all by itself.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:53 PM
sownare

Navspook!! I don't have any of Mark's 1/6 scale tanks. However, he sent me a CD Rom that has tons of footage of the tanks getting put through their paces plus comments from owners.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:28 PM
navspook

Sownare: Must be a pretty cool CD. I saw a clip from their web site (I believe it was their site) that showed the makings of a 1/4 scale Tiger -- one of them was seated in the hull driving around on a sand lot on a sand lot. The guys in the background were laughing it up.

Those Ruskies are nuts but good, hard working guys. I'd consider purchasing one of their products but I think I'd first consider an all metal tank from Armortek.

Cheers...
Old 08-21-2006, 06:35 PM
sownare

From what I've read and heard, Armortek is the gold standard for 1/6 scale WWII armor. Love your 1/8 KT. Hope it's still chewing up dirt and mud. Do you have a sound module installed in it?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Ben2006

Yeah that guys nuts.. been around for a While with that Site: Talked to him few times...Long time Ago..His work just Insane!....1:4TH Scale KingTiger and Tiger one is just awsome!....
Old 08-22-2006, 07:10 PM
navspook

Sownare:

I need to put a sound module in it -- a winter project. Actually, I kind of like to listen to the track by itself -- it's really loud. It should sound pretty cool with authentic engine sounds. I'll probably get a Benedini but might also look into a Tamiya sound module.

I ran it through some water/mud the other day -- mud first then rinsed by driving through a small creek. It chews up pretty tall weeds, saplings, etc. and always brings back lots of green in its suspension. I can't wait to see what it'll do in snow -- should be able to test in about a month here. I'll post some pics when I do. Should I winter camo it?

Cheers...