Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HENG LONG OWNERS ONLY THREAD!

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HENG LONG OWNERS ONLY THREAD!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:57 PM
blitzkrieg65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HENG LONG OWNERS ONLY THREAD!

ORIGINAL: Dmon1996

MadBadger:
Can anyone think or give me some advice on what to do next
I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with your tank. If one of your transistors cooked there may not be any visible damage on the outside. But if I'm correct, you had the same problem before, so I'd say this is a symptom- not the problem.

So speaking in general, I would check the l/s drive motor- unbolt it from the gear set and physically spin the gear. Is it smooth running, or is it hard to turn? If hard to turn, either replace or tear it apart and see what's up. At the recommendation of this forum, I ordered two sets of motors from Hobby Lobby, with shipping it's like $10 a motor.

Next, try turning the gear that the motor gear meshes with- is the gearset smooth turning? Are they metal or plastic gears? If they are metal, do a break-in as outlined in the FAQ thread. I did so for my Pershing, and the change is phenominal! If you have plastic gears and it's rough or metal and you have broken them in, take off the track and see if it is still hard to turn. Maybe you have an idle wheel that is not turning, causing a drag.

Or see if the track links are smooth in their movement in the hinges- if they are sticking, the motor is fighting to bend them every rotation. If it is metal tracks and are sticking, I'd spray some graphite spray on them on the inside. The graphite spray is graphite powder carried in a rapidly evaporating carrier like alcohol or something like that. You spray and 30 seconds later it's dry- no residue to hold dirt, but it will have created a graphite coated tube for every pivot point. And it is a cool looking dark grey, works great for a paint as well if you want something to be almost black but a little silverygrey.

I'm no expert on these tanks, I'm just a newbie. But the board blowing in the same way twice indicates an underlying issue that you must find and correct before you will be happy. Don't give up, keep trying to find something to cause this problem before you put in another board- that board will blow if you do not find the cause first.

Hope this helps.

Some good advice but Dmon, and O would suggest that after you do find what is binding up and replace the board add a PC fan or additional heatsink! Look at the link below all but one of my tanks are heng long and I let kids run them all night no blown boards?? How come? The running gear has been broke in and checked and all these tanks have a fan except the P-III!

The Blitz[sm=shades_smile.gif]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7697453/tm.htm
Old 08-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, a fan is a great idea. It is hard to find a small fan though- some people just do not have an old laptop to salvage for parts. I have ordered three Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop cooling fans for my tanks (one for my Dad's Tiger and one as a spare) as I have installed one from a scrapped laptop in my posession. The fan is about 1" square and 1/4" thick. Also, it runs on 5 volts DC, unlike a lot of desktop cooling fans which need 12 volts. The three fans (brand new) are costing me $15 with the shipping. I think $5 per tank is a good deal....especially if it keeps you from blowing boards!

Please disregard the location of the fan in my pic- the turret hits it when it's there. I've relocated it on my Pershing, but now it is not easy to see. You just need to put the fan (in whatever model of tank you have) so it blows on that aluminum angle on the board. Even if you just have it blowing on one end, that's ok. Aluminum is a wonderful heat transferer, and the heat will equalize across the heat sink.

If you need any advice please feel free to PM me- I'll help however I can. It is terrible to hear the frustrations you are having, especially since there are so many of us who love these tanks so much.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69662.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1003659  
Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM
madbadger

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi fv432...yes i tried the changing the resistors, still doesn't work, in fact now the left track doesn't move at all !!!!!

Hi Dmon1996.....i have metal tracks, sprockets and idle wheels. The left track is tight as i had to take out a link as the track kept jumping off the idle wheel. I ran the tank for over 1 hour last night and it was fine. I am running it on short cut grass which seems to make the track jump the idle wheel if turning left to much. I don't have any soil to run the tank on. Yes it has metal gear boxes and im sure they are broken in! as Ive used the tank quite a lot. I will try the motor and gears to see if there is any drag. I have just ordered a new main board. Just wondering whether or not to get a couple of motors.
Mind you before it fried itself, the tank was jerking as if the RF signal was being interrupted, like stop/starting the tank. It wasn't responding to the handset very well as if it was out of range......then it just wouldnt go forward, when i got to it, smoke was coming out of the front hatches. I have been spraying the gears with chain spray (which i use on my motobike) to lubricate them, there is oil residue in the base of the tank, i wonder it its this that started to smoke??

Kev
Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM
madbadger

Oh and i have a large cpu fan blowing onto the back of the RX13 and a lump of alloy on the bottom which the heat sink is stuck to, giving it some extra heat sink absorption.

kev
Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm, seems the board is well cooled. If the chain lube is anything like the stuff I use, it is very sticky and stringy....might be too much for that small motor to be able to turn. Pull out the motor like I suggested and try and turn the gear that the motor meshes to- it should turn very easily. If not, track down where the resistance. I used Lubriplate for my gears- it is an assembly grease, very thin and runny. I wanted to be sure that there was as little drag as possible on the motors.

Good luck. I''ll keep watching for your posts and maybe we'll be able to figure out what's going on. And remember- "Life without challenge is life not worth living".

Old 08-04-2008, 04:36 PM
madbadger

Hi, i have checked the motors they both seem to have the same resistance through the gearbox and the gearbox turns freely. So i don't know what caused the board to blow, i did get a small rock stuck in the idle wheel of the track that is tight....a friend of mine said it could be the tight track that could have caused it. He knows a lot about electronics he is going to install the new board for me and test it with a scope!! (what ever that is) he said it will tell him what the board is doing and maybe be able to repair one of the blown boards as a spare. I will see how it goes, im not convinced that it will last, i just think the boards are cheaply made and are not up to the job. Looks like i will be saving for a tamiya tiger.....god knows how long that will take. I'm just wondering if the metal sprockets, idle and metal tracks will fit the tamiya tiger??? at least i will be able to salvage something, if not i may put it on eBay...its a shame like i said i like the tank, ive always admired the tiger tank as my late farther was attacked by a unit of tigers in WW2, he always used to tell me about there tremendous power, Ive only ever seen one in my life, but will make a trip to the Bovington tank museum again to see the tiger running.

i will keep you posted
Kev
Old 08-04-2008, 05:08 PM
fv432
Banned

I think that the Tight track is your problem with the boards and one of the disadvantages of installing metal gears as they get rid of the rachet gear you find on the plastic gearboxes an annoyance to most but i bet it wouldn't fry your board

the idler is definatly a must on these tigers with metal tracks and getting the tension right is another must as you've found out

another couple of options if you've done a lot of work to the tank is to get a tiger DMD/MF unit from the tammy and install it in the H/LONG tiger It won't be cheap but it is an option the other one is to go with Elmod and try that

To Date I haven't (touching wood as i say this LOL) burnt out one board in any of my tanks YET but saying that all mine have the RX14 boards not the 13's

Regards Rob
Old 08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Chally2

ORIGINAL: fv432

I think that the Tight track is your problem with the boards and one of the disadvantages of installing metal gears as they get rid of the rachet gear you find on the plastic gearboxes an annoyance to most but i bet it wouldn't fry your board
I reckon Rob’s bang on there. My tank runs on concrete most of the time but does encounter the overflowing plant pots in the back yard on occasion. Getting a jasmine twig stuffed up your tracks would do more damage than a small pebble; trust me.

The slipper clutches did activate on my Tiger at one point. I took the heavy cushions off the settee to make an obstacle course indoors for the Tiger when running outside wasn’t an option (raining harder than a politician produces spin). The cushions were a safe obstacle I thought, but not so. Some of the covering material caught on the right track and gathered between it and the hull as it turned. The slipper clutch kicked in and the noise it made caused me to back off the throttle straight away. It was a good job I did, the rear mudguard was flipped off and the track thrown off the sprocket.

I was in the living room driving over cushions and hadn’t even noticed what was going wrong. It would be much easier to miss problems like this when you are further from the tank as you would be outside. One small stone or twig could cause major problems without being noticed.

I have a TK-RX14 board in my Tiger and it came with metal reinforcement for the suspension mounts out of the box, HL is clearly taking note of the problems that can occur by fitting these mods to its latest tanks.

Perhaps the RX14 boards are the electronic alternative to the slipper clutch on the metal upgraded tanks, or are meant to be?

Best of luck with the RX14 board Kev, I hope it solves your problem mate.

Drive safely lads.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
madbadger

thanks for that info mates......an engineer bloke where i work is working on track tensioiners as i type, i bought some of the sprung mounted tensioners from militarymights web site, but someone told me that they spring the idle wheel backwards and flip the track off.....he is trying to make them into solid adjustment so they cant spring back. I will take some pics once he has done it, but im dont know how to post them, unless i could email them to someone and they post them up. Im also ditching the smoke unit and mounting my hopefully delivered RX14 board with a fan and heatsink where the smoker used to be. A electronics guy who seems to know his bits has offered to wire it up and make sure it keeps cool no matter what....i will remount the speaker where the main board used to be. Im having metal strut for the rear of the tank between the track adjusters to make sure it doesnt weaken it.

will keep you posted

Kev
Old 10-12-2008, 09:39 PM
0z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

count me in, im working on my first HL tiger 1 and loving every minute.

Name:	Ge95836.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1050591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26599.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	1050592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88946.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	1050593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25479.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1050594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al73169.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1050595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90135.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	1050596  
Old 10-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Dongskie

Hello fellow HL owners!

I have a HENG LONG Tiger 1 to start with and will be collecting the rest of the 1/16th scale line-up soon

Name:	Ro41935.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1050666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64507.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1050667  
Old 01-17-2015, 04:48 AM
Ratman0100

Originally Posted by wackywheelz
I sway as many UK people to you as I can, mighty, because a) your prices and service and b) I'd hate to see them end up buying from Tankzone
Hey wackyweelz how goes it. Where about in Launie are you from mate. I am from the Launie area as well Newstead/Mayfield area...
Old 01-17-2015, 06:19 AM
Ratman0100

Originally Posted by militarymight
Im looking to set up my own web site dedicated to rc armour and other items. Do people prefer to buy from a web site or ebay.
Personally I prefer to buy from a web site if possible.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman0100
Hey wackyweelz how goes it. Where about in Launie are you from mate. I am from the Launie area as well Newstead/Mayfield area...
You do know the last reply to this thread was seven years ago? - 10-13-2008, 08:52 AM