Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Practice Targets - For Tamiya Tanks

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Practice Targets - For Tamiya Tanks

Old 12-02-2006, 02:34 PM
b.bullfrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Practice Targets - For Tamiya Tanks

Research is in the works to make some practice targets.Can't say exactly what they will do but they will be stationary.Might have them in kit form or already built. Price depends of the circuirt boards. I just found out about them afew hours ago and what my friend wanted to make some.I would think they might be available after Christmas. Presently waiting for afew more parts and prices.
If your interested let me know.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:32 PM
ksoc

Default RE: Practice Targets - For Tamiya Tanks

Interested.

Kevin O'C
<S.C.A.T.>
Old 12-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Panther F

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only if the targets can fire back.

Unfortunately that is the only way to truly practice.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Tankhobby

There's an article in Proving Ground I wrote that is pretty basic and works with the Tamiya Battle System. It uses a three pin detector and a 555 timer to drive an LED. There is also information for driving a relay that can power what ever you want to hook up.

Now for something to shoot back check out my website tankhobby.com

I should have some updates soon with more information plus another article for the next issue of the Proving Ground.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:58 AM
ksoc

Nick,

What is the level of tech knowledge needed to put your circuit in Proving Ground together? I've got LIMITED tools in background in things electrical, and I understand just enough to get myself in trouble. Is it just a matter of getting a kit or shopping off a list, and assembling the parts?

Just went back at looked at your article. A little bit above 'ready to assemble'. Are you planning on offering a kit or plans?

Thanks

Kevin O'C
<S.C.A.T.>
Old 12-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Tankhobby

I originally posted the circuit a while ago with the intent to pass the circuit on for others to build. I didn't have any plans to produce a kit or assembled units.

It was written with the assumption I was dealing with a technical audience, some one that can build from a schematic. I will try and avoid that assumption in the future. In the case with this I may build some units up, but it wouldn't be before mid January.

I hope to include more specifics like parts lists and such in future articles to make it easier for people to assemble a circuit.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:11 PM
FFR2608

Kevin,

Sounds like a great idea for the field. You could do it like capture the flag. A couple units on each side of the field, the other team needs to get to that side and destroy the "object". Might make for some interesting tactics. You would need to hide it somewhere it couldn't be taken out by a sniper. Maybe between buildings or in a tunnel etc.

DH
Old 12-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Dugster

What is the link to the article and schematic?

TIA!!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:44 PM
bullyhys

Kevin,

The circuit that Nick posted is the one I used in my halftrack,

It's not difficult to bread board up.

Would be cool to have a circuit board though.

Nick I'm still working out the kinks on my firing circuit, I think I found the schmatic I need to make it work just haven't got back to it yet.

I'll let you how it goes.

Merle
Old 12-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Tankhobby

Merle

The pictures of your Ferdinand look great. I see you have the Pershing recoil installed. I've been busy with other things myself.

For the target boards, I wanted to make them as small as possible. Probably to snap on top of a 9 volt battery. Do you think just two LEDs are sufficient (they will light when hit)?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 PM
bullyhys

Hi Nick,

Yes 2 LEDs should be just fine, one could make the necessary connections to drive a small relay if required.

My bread board target is setup to light a super brite LED (blue) that can be seen in daylight.[8D]

All the testing has gone very well.

If you do setup a circuit board let me know and I'll put in a order for some.

Merle
Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 AM
b.bullfrog

The target is the one that was posted . My friend is looking into getting the circuit boards made and either have them ready to assembly or built.They will run on a 9 voit battery and might have afew more things added.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Tankhobby

If you are going to make the circuit, depending upon which detectors you use you may want to inlcude a pull-up resistor from the trigger (pin2) on the 555 timer. A 10K ohm should be fine. Some detectors have trouble triggering the 555 without it. I submitted an addendum for publishing in the Proving Ground but it isn't due until late December from what I understand. ALso keep in mind different detectors may have different pinouts!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:06 PM
mitchlandry

ORIGINAL: Tankhobby

I originally posted the circuit a while ago with the intent to pass the circuit on for others to build. I didn't have any plans to produce a kit or assembled units.

It was written with the assumption I was dealing with a technical audience, some one that can build from a schematic. I will try and avoid that assumption in the future. In the case with this I may build some units up, but it wouldn't be before mid January.

I hope to include more specifics like parts lists and such in future articles to make it easier for people to assemble a circuit.

Nick,
Do have a schematic diagram of your battle circuit you are willing to share?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:41 PM
heavyaslead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Nick

The addendum has been added to PG#2 and is submitted for publishing!

If you are going to make the circuit, depending upon which detectors you use you may want to inlcude a pull-up resistor from the trigger (pin2) on the 555 timer. A 10K ohm should be fine. Some detectors have trouble triggering the 555 without it. I submitted an addendum for publishing in the Proving Ground but it isn't due until late December from what I understand. ALso keep in mind different detectors may have different pinouts!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Tankhobby

The battle circuit is a lot more complex than the target circuit or anything else I would publish. I had to resort to professionally made circuit boards that were double sided as I used just basic logic circuits.

I can publish a circuit that will fire on the target circuit, it's a simple oscillator that will drive an Ir LED. It should be a small chip count circuit. I know Merle is working on one. Actually that may be a future article for Proving Ground!

Eric,

Thanks for the update! Any news on the release date?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 PM
mitchlandry

The battle circuit is a lot more complex than the target circuit or anything else I would publish. I had to resort to professionally made circuit boards that were double sided as I used just basic logic circuits.

I can publish a circuit that will fire on the target circuit, it's a simple oscillator that will drive an Ir LED. It should be a small chip count circuit. I know Merle is working on one. Actually that may be a future article for Proving Ground!

I'm not scared of the complex part, i would rather not redesign the wheel if you know what i mean. If your willing to share your circuit, I'm all open, if not, that's fine also, i understand completely.

What is "Proving Ground"? Never heard of it, is this an online publication or printed? I can always look there for starters for the target circuit.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:08 AM
ksoc

Mitch,

RC Tank HQ puts out a eZine for members called "Proving Ground". Their second issue is due anytime now. Check out the site, membership is free.

The first edition had a basic diagram circuit. I think issue one should still be available.

www.rctankhq.com

Kevin O'C
<S.C.A.T.>
Old 12-20-2006, 06:04 AM
b.bullfrog

My friend is still waiting for one part to be shipped to him. In the meantime I since him the parts I got from Radio Shack. After he builds one he will be looking into some circuit boards . He works for huge company that does electronics work and has alot of connections.