Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

why no US HL distributers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

why no US HL distributers

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default why no US HL distributers

I wonder why nobody has taken it upon themselves to start distributing RC tank components in the US. Yes, Mato does a good job in Canada but as far as I can see, they are the only thing going in North America.
If you get on the web and do a quick search for Chinese importers, there are tons of them trying to export these tanks. Get on alibaba.com do a search for 1/16 tanks. THey all come up, even the new PIII. They sell for $29-$39 each FOB in China. THis is for the nes S&S versions. I'm looking into the prices for accesories, such as metal tracks, etc.
For roughly a $10k investment, a US based company could be started. $30 could be made on each tank and US shipping would be $10-15. I think the most money is to be made on the accesories. Maybe not enough demand for sustainability.
Here is a snippit I received from China. Took less than 3 hrs from my inquiry.
Thank you for your inquiry. Glad to know your company. We hope to do the business with you.

We like to send the toys you inquiry for your reference as follows:

R/C 1:16 German Tiger I Smoking Tank
Model No.: RZH52028
Product Size: 52x24x20cm
Qty.: 4 Pc/Ctn
Qty./20 foot container : 580 Pcs
Qty./40HQ container: 1,432 Pcs
Unit Price: FOB Shantou,China @USD39.00 each piece

R/C 1:16 Snow Leopard Smoking Tank
Model No.: RZH52029
Unit Price: FOB Shantou,China @USD39.00 each piece

R/C 1:16 German Panther Smoking Tank
Model No.: RZH52060
Unit Price: FOB Shantou,China @USD39.50 each piece

1:16 R/C Battle Tank - German Panther
Model No.: RZH49595
Product Size: 49.5x22.2x21cm
Qty./40HQ container: 1,420 Pcs
Unit Price: FOB Shantou,China @USD29.00 each piece

1:16 R/C Battle Tank - Germany Tiger I
Model No.: RZH46251
Product Size: 49.5x22.2x21cm
Unit Price: FOB Shantou,China @USD29.00 each piece
Old 03-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Perry S.

Default RE: why no US HL distributers

Forgot to add, cost of a 20 ft shipping container from China to US is ~$1400
Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Perhaps defect rates of 25-30% & the cost of handling returns has something to do with it...

Old 03-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Perry S.

Herrmill,
I see your over there in China. YTou must have tons of this stuff availably locally.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:33 PM
CreepingdeathRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good things will come to those who wait....trust me!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
herrmill

ORIGINAL: pscartozzi

Herrmill,
I see your over there in China. YTou must have tons of this stuff availably locally.

Yes, I have few between Tamiya, Heng Long & WSN. Did you see my Pz III? That's from a meeting I had with Heng Long at the October Toy Fair that resulted in the review at THQ. They are nice folks, but their quality control has to be better - the new tank already has had some issues & the airsoft gun arrived broken, but it was purchased for other use besides that!

If you are into Heng Long, you'll also want to check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BandaiWSNHenLongTankers/

Chuck
Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Perry S.

thanks for the link chuck.

mr 312. Pretty cryptic. Good things do come to those who wait but better things usually come to those that do. What are you eluding to?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Rathead123

Not only the high failure rate, but its a nich market. Very few sales..Because most everone who buys tanks is on these forums, so theres only a few thousand potential buyers..
Old 03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
DAP

Unless you have a large empty garage you'll need a place to keep them. Local laws prohibit home base business around here. Add to that the cost of insurance, shipping equipment, packaging, etc.
Im a distribution manager with access to a complete warehouse & distribution center. I have considered starting a RC tank business. Just waiting for HL to improve thier product. Returns are a profit killer. I would probably do 1/16 up to 1/6.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:51 PM
CreepingdeathRC

Unfortunetly in your position you would have to own the facilities to store and house your commodities, which could be a problem. In that type of scenerio your employer would not let another upstart business share the means and approcreations to help. Add in the factor of port proceedures, duty rate, U.S. Tariff Schedules, brokers, and of course US customs it gets complicated in a hurry. But sometimes things just seem to come together. In my situation things have come together. It's a love for the hobby and understanding of its participants more than a slick business move. And we are in for the long haul.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 AM
TANKDUEL

I think he's saying you're full of BS David[X(][:-]
Old 03-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Shagnifico

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well for one thing HL products used to be FCC non compliant, but I'm told that's fixed. Secondly the toy store most likely to sell hen longs, walmart, has been sued for selling toy guns that shoot plasitc pellets IIRC.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:52 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some tanks from a fella in California who got out of the business. The defects and insurance killed his prospects. HL lets the reseller assume all the risks of the defects, they do not take them back or give credit if I understand right. Mato has two employees who go through all the new tanks making sure they function and are not broken before selling them, that's not cheap. I think you'd also be obligated to sell other products of theirs as well, such as boats, cars and planes.

All you need is some kid to shoot anothers' eye out and the lawyers will be all over you.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:21 AM
DAP

Its amazing how much he knows about my situation.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DAP

Its amazing how much he knows about my situation.
You mean me???
Old 03-02-2007, 01:17 PM
DAP

No Sir, not you.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Perry S.

I think we've wandered off point. Yes, you have all listed good reasons why it would be hard, albeit insurance, quality, limited demographic. I guess I was asking why is it so hard in the US yet Mato pulls it off in Canada, tons of places in germany, europe, china, etc. Seems people can pull it off in these places given all the same constraints you've listed above. Why not here in the US? Look at all the great parts on the German version of ebay and only one or two on the US version.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
TANKDUEL

Another reason not to start selling those tanks: As soon as you do, you'll have a bunch of morons going onto public forums and crying about how long the mail takes to get their stuff and blaming you for it and complaining about every little thing thats wrong with it when everyone knows they are prone to problems with a price to match.[>:]
Old 03-04-2007, 10:58 AM
irongutz

mr312 if you are who I think you are I cant wait!!! I know service and items will be top notch!!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:04 PM
herrmill

ORIGINAL: irongutz

mr312 if you are who I think you are I cant wait!!! I know service and items will be top notch!!
Nice Tiger Madchen you have there! You may want to put some pants on her since this is a family friendly forum!
I came across that art several years ago & wanted to see more from the artist.

Mr312, congratulations on your plans. No matter what I posted above, I'm not a HL basher & wish you all the luck in your endeavors.
Competition is always a good thing to see in the market & certainly it will be nice to have an American distributor in addition to Mato.

Chuck
Old 03-04-2007, 07:53 PM
CreepingdeathRC

thanks Hermill and by the way I do like those IMPACT tracks!!
Old 03-04-2007, 08:07 PM
TANKDUEL

Have you got some or do you just like the pics? Anyway isn't the MATO upgrade a much better deal, with sprockets and all?
ORIGINAL: mr312

I do like those IMPACT tracks!!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 PM
herrmill

Nev,

I don't think you need to bring your fight against IMPACT here to this forum. mr312 made a simple comment regarding IMPACT's new product & am certain it's not Erwin this time.

Between IMPACT, Mato & Asiatam's product, it certainly appears that everyone will soon have their choice of Pz track & upgrade parts to chose from. Just as with any other hobby, there are different levels of quality & detail offered by each manufacturer which makes it all the more exciting to see new releases come into the market. Personallly, after seeing the photo of Mato's spocket that was posted in another part of the forum, I would not want to change from the existing HL stock wheel due to Mato's lack of detail. I've seen a prototype photo of IMPACTs & it has the detail as an original PzKw III, Auf L down to the casting marks & bolt placement. Again, more choices for everyone that happen to be sold at different price points just like one finds in other product lines & markets.

Why not take a cue from another post titled "DISSAPOINTED" that discusses why there is need for some on this forum to compare & bash other manufacturers' product lines? This whole issue with aftermarket players sounds like another replay of those classic never win discussions such as Ford vs Chevy, PC vs Mac, etc...

From the sound of those who have purchased IMPACT's product, they certainly like the quality & value of the product, & with distributors such as Axel Modelbau / Shumo & Tankzone already carrying the line & selling out of stock, something must be working.

Again, getting back to the original topic, I am happy to see others come into the market since it makes it all the better for of us end users who frequent these forums.

Chuck
Old 03-04-2007, 10:55 PM
TANKDUEL

hermill
first, my post was not addressed to you!
You have accused me of attacking IMPACT in my post. On reflection, I find it hard to see how asking the guy if he actually has them and asking if the MATO package was a better deal. it seems you are over defensive about your buddy Erwin.

ORIGINAL: herrmill

Nev,

I don't think you need to bring your fight against IMPACT here to this forum. mr312 made a simple comment regarding IMPACT's new product & am certain it's not Erwin this time.

Between IMPACT, Mato & Asiatam's product, it certainly appears that everyone will soon have their choice of Pz track & upgrade parts to chose from. Just as with any other hobby, there are different levels of quality & detail offered by each manufacturer which makes it all the more exciting to see new releases come into the market. Personallly, after seeing the photo of Mato's spocket that was posted in another part of the forum, I would not want to change from the existing HL stock wheel due to Mato's lack of detail. I've seen a prototype photo of IMPACTs & it has the detail as an original PzKw III, Auf L down to the casting marks & bolt placement. Again, more choices for everyone that happen to be sold at different price points just like one finds in other product lines & markets.

Why not take a cue from another post titled "DISSAPOINTED" that discusses why there is need for some on this forum to compare & bash other manufacturers' product lines? This whole issue with aftermarket players sounds like another replay of those classic never win discussions such as Ford vs Chevy, PC vs Mac, etc...

From the sound of those who have purchased IMPACT's product, they certainly like the quality & value of the product, & with distributors such as Axel Modelbau / Shumo & Tankzone already carrying the line & selling out of stock, something must be working.

Again, getting back to the original topic, I am happy to see others come into the market since it makes it all the better for of us end users who frequent these forums.

Chuck
Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 PM
herrmill

Nev,

My sincere apologies then...

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.