Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

tamiya gun stabilizer fro the 2a6

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

tamiya gun stabilizer fro the 2a6

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:54 PM
kurtmeyer
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tamiya gun stabilizer fro the 2a6

i just ordered one...are these pretty good?do i need one?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Amuro

Default RE: tamiya gun stabilizer fro the 2a6

I haven't built my leo2 yet, so I cannot speak from first hand experience. Yet, form what I've seen it is very cool. Do you absolutely need one? No. But, what would a modern MBT be without gun stabilization. I figured since I spent all that dough on a leo2, then another $100 is no big deal. Thats how I look at it. Tamiya probably looks at it the same way

Gun stabilization (GBS) should have been integrated into the DMD or something in the first place. Tamiya occasionally pinches the pennies[>:]. If it is out of your budget then you could simply save up for it. That's the good part, GBS can be added later.

Final note:

I would save up for it now. My gut tells me that the Leo2 might be discontinued soon (maybe a year).
Old 03-04-2007, 06:33 PM
CapnCrunch43

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't have one either, but have used a helicopter gyro in it. Works OK, but between the drift and the inability to use the trim tab functions, it's not in the tank very often. Also, over rough terrain, the stock servo is too slow to keep up. That means that when the gun tube should be in one position, it's behind and is in another (usually pointing at the dirt [:@])

Wonder if just counter balancing the whole gun tube assembly and using ball bearings instead of bushings in the mount would act realistically? Maybe mount a mini servo on the recoil mechanism and have a weight attached to the throw arm. Then when you actuate the elevation function, the weight moves forward or backwards and raises or lowers the gun tube, and remains stabilized. Might try it as a spring project.

Found this thread in another forum and thought it was pretty cool. Watch the video. The periscope moves first and then the turret "follows the peri"!

[link=http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=7674]http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=7674[/link]
Old 03-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Amuro

Capn thanks for the link. Thats exactly what I'm going to do with the peri!

Can't one use a faster servo to compensate for the GBS? Do they make one?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:46 AM
darkith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CapnCruch,
Did you use a Heading Hold gyro, or a Rate gyro? I know a Rate gyro would drift pretty bad, but wondering if a HH gyro would work decently...

D.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:45 AM
kurtmeyer
Banned

i sure would like the new Panther...
Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 AM
CapnCrunch43

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amuro,

I'm almost positive that was the fix for the slow gun tube response I saw in another forum. A faster servo would probably do the trick.

Darkith,

I'm using an E-flite G90 Heading Lock Gyro, so I guess it's 'heading hold'. When the battery is fully charged it doesn't drift too bad. Really have to play with the trim all the time after it looses the full charge of the battery. I've also used it for turret stab with decent results. Looks cool running around with the turret pointing in the direction you put it. Same thing with the battery charge and drifting, tho'.