Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tank Forum observation

Old 05-20-2007, 10:56 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tank Forum observation

I have been a part of this forum for the past 6 months and just wanted to make a few observations.

1. Many Heng Long posts
2. Very few Tamiya posts
3. Very good forum behaviour
4. Lots of helpful hints
5. Lots of required fix info.
6. Good prototype info supplied when requested.

I just want to thank everyone for all the help that you have been to me as I got started in this hobby. The sound, accurate advice has made the Heng Long experience a very good one for me. Without this forum and the advice obtained I doubt I would have been able to make that statement.

I like what Richard has done with the sticky's, as well.

With respect to the Tamiya post vs Heng Long posts, I imagine it is a direct correlation to users and issues within each brand. Fewer Tamiya tankers, with fewer Tamiya issues result in fewer posts. Nothing can be done about that. I just hope that this forum isn't perceived only to be a Heng Long board. I enjoy seeing the Tamiya posts, but have nothing to really add because I don't own one...........yet. So if you are a Tamiya tanker, please don't hesitate to post. I enjoy reading and seeing the work done on this brand as well.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:46 PM
The_Stuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tank Forum observation

i see the forum as a "any brand goes" forum, just allot own the cheaper hl's
Old 05-20-2007, 12:54 PM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have bought my first Tamiya, and if it wasn't for HL I wouldn't be on this forum, Tamiya should thank HL for broadening the appeal. Although, I do enjoy the Tamiya vs Heng Long post, so far most have approached it with good hearted tongue in cheek jabs.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:54 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all the above.Been into the airplane hobby for many years,but have to thank Heng Long for their great tanks and for a very good price.Have 2=1/16 scale tanks now and three more on the way,and when you can buy 5 new tanks for
$324.00 dollars less shipping.-----------Thats a pretty inexpensive hobby. ( about the cost of one cheapie-RTF plane,Radio & Motor). BIGMIG
Old 05-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Perry S.

ORIGINAL: YHR

I have been a part of this forum for the past 6 months and just wanted to make a few observations.

1. Many Heng Long posts
2. Very few Tamiya posts
3. Very good forum behaviour
4. Lots of helpful hints
5. Lots of required fix info.
6. Good prototype info supplied when requested.
My observation of this board is that you have a new icon. No more maple leaf.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:16 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was modifying the Tank club icon, which has the maple leaf,and thought I would use my Yellowhead Railroad icon as my personal icon. I thought the Icon looked too much like Air Canada for my liking and was not all that happy with it, so I went with the official YHR herald.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:45 PM
pattoncommander

I enjoy reading everything on the forum. Even though I don't (as yet) own a Tamiya, all my RC work has been with HL and owing to the very good detailing, many Century 21 vehicles. I use these in my museum and the diff between 1/16 and 1/18 is so insignifficant, that they can be pretty much used together...unless you have two tanks of the same model.
HL got me into looking for such a forum and how I found this and HEAT. My first was/is a 1;6 scale Stuart, which my wife got me after I sold my 1;1 scale. I have learned a lot and met some great people on this forum. Being a 25 yr tank vet, I'm also happy to be able to kibitz and toss in remarks on correctness or what should or should not be on or done to a tank. Owing to some feedback, the helping thing works in all directions. So if you have a tank of any brand, lots of us are reading and learning what to buy...or avoid.. and what to do if it screws up and maint sect can't get a VTR to you for a day.

thanks guys (and gals)

Bill
Old 05-20-2007, 06:27 PM
ArmChairGeneral

Hey Pattoncommander, you mentioned your 1:1 before, you owned a real tank ? What was it? I sense a good story to be told
Old 05-20-2007, 07:13 PM
SNOWTANK

The Tank Forum I hate to admit I find more helpfula and enjoybale than other RC forums. I think it's because of the type of people we have here and we don't take our tanks so seriously because after all they are TANKS! The forum has helped me and my other 2 buddies get through the Henglong experinece. Today I sailed my 6ft combat warship and on the shore my buddy was driving our HL Tanks. While people stopped and commented on my ship , my buddy was surrounded by people and thier children who were in awe and fully entertained by the TANKS doing thier thing. It made for a wonderful RC expereince. I was able to dock the ship and take a break and use the Tanks as well. Now after todays experience my buddies are ordering more tanks to complete their collection. A Tiger was ordered today through Mato. We also had all of our tanks out in the park for photo ops and recruiting. We had a airsoft battle and got great footage and lots of appreciation from the public. What can I say it's been a great experince and I love the Tank Hobby. For your buck it's the best for the support, tech advice, and for the economy, fun factor ect ect you guys know what I mean here.

Thanks for the forum and the wonderful people on it.

SNOWTANK
Old 05-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Perry S.

I'm here for all the hot women[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 05-21-2007, 04:09 AM
thebronze

ORIGINAL: pscartozzi

I'm here for all the hot women[sm=shades_smile.gif]
+1
Old 05-22-2007, 11:53 PM
pattoncommander

Armchair General a couple pics of my former tank killer are under "MATO shipping to US"...down a few messages. Took 3 yrs to rebiuld a totally destroyed wreck into a fully operational tank destroyer. Clocked by radar at 34 mph across an old airfield and I could take out a pistol target at 300 yds with OO shot. (buy only fired black powder blanks). Downside was having to maintain a trailer and truck to have the tank, then the hassle at parades of unloading and moving the truck to the end and walking back, or driving the tank to the starting point and have officials worrying about steel track on the brick streets etc. Then the historic lessons of explaining that it was a field retrofit and not factory made....finally sold it. I have an entire album showing rebuild from start to finish and a CD showing a speed and firing run. 1;16 scale stuff is a lot cheaper and easier to work with, but just as frustrating as I'm not into elecftronics and can't do much by myself other that exterrior modifications.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:53 PM
MySoldier

This forum has been great...somone always awnsers eachothers questions..i think its just not as competetive as other rc produtcs..which is why this forum is real good
Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 PM
karma99

I have to say it, I love this place! People are polite, helpful, the ideas are awesome and everyone shares with no thought to what they'll get back from it. I have to say it's the best forum I've been on where the members aren't all "real life" friends, although it feels like some of you are anyway

I wonder if the cheapness of the HL's (of which we have a majority here) is a big factor. There is nothing much to boast about when many of us spend less than £100 per tank, so it's all down to modelling and engineering skills, which we freely share. Many of us watch the Tamiya owners with an avid interest as we ponder whether to pay out ourselves and get one, and I love to watch what can be done with them.. I teeter on the edge of getting one everytime you guys post about it! Even the big scale owners chip in freely and I don't get any feeling of them lording it over everyone despite the huge size and value increase of their metal beasts.

I've recently been watching a larger scale forum where most of the people have 2+ tanks that cost the better part of £2000-£3000 each.. and the unhelpful attitudes and frankly childish behaviour is amazing from people who are obviously well over the age to know better and must have pretty well paid jobs to sink sums of money that would buy most of us a "new" car, into their hobby. They don't do the ownership of 1/10th+ scales any favours as in my opinion their "clique" attitude makes potential owners weary of spending thousands of £'s to get no help and just empty sarcasm.
Ok, rant over [:@]

Bottom line, this place - and therefore, you guys - ROCKS!