Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New HL Tiger owner

Old 06-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Miggers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New HL Tiger owner

Hello there guys.

I've just found this forum this past week and have joined up.

I'm a new HL Tiger owner(had it a week-S/S version),though I've owned an HL Abrams to two years,I've only just decided to move up to the bigger guns.
I've been test driving my Tiger all week so I think I might have shaken any bugs loose and so far,apart from the right sproket coming loose,there seems to be no problems with it.

I've been reading through the posts on detailing and upgrading the Tiger and I'm very,very impressed,there are some really nice models out there.

With all the inspiration I've read I've taken the plunge and stripped mine down ready for a re-paint.I'm going to leave it as is(early-ish production)apart from the simple mods,but with a decent paint job and some careful weathering.

So with this in mind I've made the tracks of equal length(one was longer than t'other!!)to get a representative sag,reversed the mantle,turned the pistol port and spent the afternoon tidying up the general mouldings.

I'll get a barrel extension turned up at work this week(I work for an engineering firm)and get that fitted and filled and I'll be ready to get the base colour on.

Just one thing I can't remove though-the aerial.
On my HL Abe both aerials are fitted to the turret and are removable.The fitting on the Tiger seems to be identical but I just can't get the thing to pull off the brass mount on the engine deck!!!!.

ATB,Miggers
Old 06-17-2007, 12:15 PM
karma99

Default RE: New HL Tiger owner

Hey mate, welcome to the addiction of RC tanks

Great to hear that you're giving your Tig some surgery and a new paint job, like you say, this place is overflowing with inspiration.
I'm not sure if the issue your having with the aerial is getting the metal wire bit off of the brass post, or getting the brass post out of it's seat in the deck of the Tig?
If it's the brass post from the body, try hitting it from underneath with a hammer via a holepunch or thin screwdriver. If it's getting the springy silver ariel off of the post itself.. just pull hard! If it still won't budge try loosening the coils with some thin nosed pliers, it's not glued to the post, just pressed onto it.

Look forward to seeing your work.. post some pics soon.. we gobble them up here!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Miggers

I just can't get the thing to pull off the brass mount on the engine deck!!!!.
You mean the wire antenna that sticks up? Have you tried using a pair of pliers to pull it off the brass mount while twisting it?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:05 PM
uhu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Miggers and welcome!

In one of my first HL Tigers, in order to remove the antenna brass piece, I was forced to cautiously cut the inner plastic "sleeve" to free it.....all my previous attempts with a small nylon hammer, pliers, and even a small vise were useless!
Hope it helps.
Cheers

Old 06-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Plastic scouser

Welcome to the forum mate........1 Hen Long Tiger will soon be a platoon of tanks its that addictive this hobby

Cheers Ian
Old 06-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Miggers

Thanks for the welcome lads.

Yes it is just the wire antenna that I'm[:@] trying to remove(at the moment).I'm glad you've said it "just" pulls off,I was worried about ripping it out of the engine deck.

That's another thing I wanted to ask.How have you managed to "damage" the track guards(along the sides)?I see quite a few are sporting bent and battered guards as well as dented exhaust heat shields as it seems most Tigers in service had that kind of damage done to 'em(talk about women drivers eh?).

I'd love to fit all the metal bits too,but it'd be too hard a job to smuggle 'em past the Mrs.I only paid £60 for my Tiger(from Cosford Airshow of all places,"Honestly my dear,I did go to watch the show")but she reckons it's £60 too much on another "toy".
I'm a Fleet Air Arm aircraft modeller(1/72nd scale),I also have an R/C hovercraft,Dalek,a couple of cars and I also like a dabble on the son's model railway layout(he has two cars as well)so I suppose it's no surprise when she kicks off about too many toys

Anyway I'm just off to finish filling the red LED hole in the mantle and around the pistol port.I've just removed and washed the road wheels,so tomorrow night it's a light rub down with a bit of "Scotchbrite",a wipe over with a Tak-Rag and then fire up the airbrush and lay some Humbrol 67 tank grey on the wheels,turret,Fiefels and the rear hull plate.

Miggers[8D]

*Addition*

Done it.

Grabbed the base coil with some pliers and off it's come.

On the barrel extension front,I've worked it out to be 47.6mm to give an overall barrel length of 258.6mm measured from the mantle.
1/16th scale equals 3/4 of an inch to the foot or 19.05mm.

I based this on the full size measurement of 56 calibres(88mm) equals 4928mm.
Divide by 19.05 equals 258.68766mm.My Tiger's barrel measures 211mm from the mantle so the extension needs to be 47.6mm.

Does that sound right to you?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:27 PM
50Kaliber

Welcome to the geeky world of RC tanks! Well my wife says I'm a geek, whatever! Better than being down the bar all weekend like some guys I know!

Yeh, the antenna is a bit hard to get out, once I pulled off the wire part I cut out some of the plastic holding the brass mount from underneath then it just pulled out. I damaged my side guards with a soldering iron at work - what a stench! Don't want to do that in the house. I also used a hacksaw to saw in between each individual guard so they looked separate, I also sawed one guard off completely.

Concerning the barrel extension, have a look on Ebay you can buy them pre-made for about 4 quid plus all sorts of other add ons - that'll please your wife! I ended up spending about 3 times the cost of the stock tank upgrading it. The metal tracks are quite expensive - but worth getting.

cheers

Conrad
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87211.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	705810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66870.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	705811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11700.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	705812  
Old 06-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I made my track guards out of an old tin can

Old 06-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Miggers

Thanks 50Kal.

That's one well worn and battered looking Tiger you've got there,very nice.

I've seen the extensions on E-Bay for that price.

I can get the barrel extension turned up at work(I work for an engineering firm that makes vacuum pumps-I'm the paint sprayer) so my extension will be very cheap indeed.
It was just that I wanted to verify my maths!!!!

Did you just heat up your guards and then bend them into place?I've used the hot-water method with vacform aircraft parts to get them into shape before.

My last model was the Seafire XVII ,SX336,now owned by Kennet Aviation.My cousin went down to Duxford for Flying Legends last year and he filled a 128Mb digicam card full of photos of her just so that I could do my model as accurately as possible.

Miggers[8D]
Old 06-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Miggers

Jeez Wozwasnt,that really has seen some action on the Russian front!!!![X(]

Miggers[8D]
Old 06-18-2007, 06:37 AM
50Kaliber

I just applied the iron directly to the guard until it started to got soft then just moved the iron around to get the effect I was after, you have to be vareful you don't push the iron right through! It's a bit rough and ready but you don't want it looking too contrived.

Sounds like you are in the right job to do some serious modelling, look forward to seeing yours finished. I'm expecting an awesome paint job - no pressure!

cheers
Con
Old 06-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Miggers

I'm angling for a grey base scheme.

I quite like the looks of Tiki,but I guess it's been done to death by now.

I'll have a cast around for something with the Feifel filters and smoke dischargers in base grey with a disruptive cammo on top.

Miggers
Old 06-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

heres my tiger on the hunt in the desert i have a gray tiger as well as a winterized tiger .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16823.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	706505   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43723.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	706506   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27813.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	706507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72814.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	706508  
Old 06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Miggers

That's a smart Tiger you've got there too Aslvr.

Minimal mods but a damn good paintjob.I like your weathering over the engine covers,it looks like theres been a small engine bay fire
and the engine has been replaced and other repairs effected to get it back into service.

I've got my bareel extension turned up and fitted,I've just got to smooth it in.

I'm really torn between a nice desert scheme(that really is my favorite)or a Tiki style paintjob.Eitherway,what does everyone use for Dunkelgelb?.
I've been looking in the Humbrol range but I can't see anything that is listed as such.

Cheers,Miggers
Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Richard L.

Eitherway,what does everyone use for Dunkelgelb?.
We use Tamiya TS-3 Dark Yellow, Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow, Testors Panzer Dunkelgelb, or Floquil Polly Scale Panzer Dark Yellow. The latter two are more accurate.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:23 AM
50Kaliber

I used Vallejo Acrylic Panzer Dark Yellow 71025 :-) It's for spraying but I couldn't spray it too much of a novice and ended up brushing it on with a flat brush, worked well couldn't see the brush marks :-)
Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Miggers

Cheers guys.

I'll get weaving and look some up.
My pal at his model shop stocks Tamiya in small quantities.I was hoping there'd be a Revell or Humbrol equivalent,but I'll give good old E-Bay a shake first.

Miggers
Old 06-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Miggers

Not a sausage on E-Bay I'm afraid.

I've picked up three cans of Humbrol,63,64 and 93,so I should be able to do a decent mix out of those to pass for Dunkelgelb.

An interesting note is that ,as I've mentioned,I'm a paint sprayer by trade so I've had a look through all the paint charts of RAL colours I have at work.
Not one manufacturer lists the RAL No for Dunkelgelb,nor any of the other two cammo colours used on Tigers.[sm=72_72.gif]

I've done a search for "Tiger 131" on these pages and found the shots of Martin G's beauty.

I see there are many questions about the weathering that Martin has done.The maxim for weathering that I was always taught(by a railway modeller)is this:

"Paint what you see,not what you think you see".

When you've finished it put it away in a cupboard for a week.After that period take another look and if it still looks right then it is right.

By the looks of Martin and 50Kalibre's desert Tigers these are the rules they've both followed.

Well done guys.You've both got Tigers to be proud of.[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Miggers
Old 06-23-2007, 01:37 PM
swathdiver

Not one manufacturer lists the RAL No for Dunkelgelb,nor any of the other two cammo colours used on Tigers.

I've done a search for "Tiger 131" on these pages and found the shots of Martin G's beauty.
Dunkelgelb is RAL 7028, RAL 6003 is the green and RAL 8017 is the brown color used for camo.

Tiger 131 of the 504th, the one captured in Tunisia is RAL 8020 Afrika Braun. Don't remember the color used for camo, though I've seen no pictorial evidence that any Tigers in Afrika were camoflaged.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Miggers

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

Not one manufacturer lists the RAL No for Dunkelgelb,nor any of the other two cammo colours used on Tigers.

Dunkelgelb is RAL 7028, RAL 6003 is the green and RAL 8017 is the brown color used for camo.

Tiger 131 of the 504th, the one captured in Tunisia is RAL 8020 Afrika Braun. Don't remember the color used for camo, though I've seen no pictorial evidence that any Tigers in Afrika were camoflaged.
Exactly.None of the colour charts I've got at work for RAL colours list any of those numbers or references those colours.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:14 PM
50Kaliber

Not a sausage on E-Bay I'm afraid.

By the looks of Martin and 50Kalibre's desert Tigers these are the rules they've both followed.

Well done guys.You've both got Tigers to be proud of.[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Miggers
The Vallejo Spray acrylic I used came from Ebay, search for Vallejo. The site I listed had the colours listed by RAL, can't remember it now... :-(

Thanks for the compliments [8D] on my Tiger, I must post a new pic as I keep looking at it and thinking that I need to tweak the weathering, I've now brushed off a lot more of my MIG dust and added a few more bits of wear and tear and it's looking about right I think :-)
Old 06-23-2007, 03:58 PM
uhu

Hi Miggers
Modern RAL color charts are different from RAL charts used in the WWII years. "Dunkelgelb" has become a permanent subject of controversy as it derivates from a non-standard colour, the "Dunkelgelb nach Muster" or "dark yellow from sample" that had many different shades until renamed as RAL 7028 Dunkelgelb. In fact the first digit 7 denotes a grey color.......
If you go to http://www.ral.de/de/ral_farben/home/index.php you'll find different names than those used in the 1939-45 period.
Here: http://www.48specialmodels.com/jps%2...ten/jpsral.htm
you'll find an accurate enough colour chart with the standard RAL colours and names of the period, not valid as samples, depends on monitor adjustments!, just a guide.

And here you'll find the equivalency chart from Vallejo: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/
Hope it helps
Old 06-23-2007, 05:00 PM
50Kaliber

Hmm, I think in reality it doesn't really matter which make/shade of dunkelbelb you use as there are so few colour pics of Tigers and even they are so old its impossible to tell what colour they actually were....

But it's an exercise that we all go through, another step in our quest for 'perceived' realism/accuracy
Old 06-23-2007, 10:38 PM
swathdiver

50kaliber is right, there is no right or wrong color or shade. Just think of the paint fading, being exposed to hydraulic and motor oils. The camo colors were often applied in the field and were mixed with whatever was wet!
Old 06-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Richard L.

Also the colour chart you see on the monitor screen might not reflect the actual paint colours as different monitors render colours differently. Also, those online colour chips might have been created and approximated by a web designer using Photoshop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.