Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tank Newbie Questions

Old 07-01-2007, 11:11 PM
smart racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Newbie Questions

Hi, I have ordered a couple of the Heng Long tanks from Mato, do they use a standard 6 cell battery pack, also were to buy bb pellets, I could not locate them on Mato's web site - Thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tank Newbie Questions

Yes, 6-cell packs. Sometimes battery packs like Venom's are not a consistant length, having the limp "noodle wire" will make them an easier fit.

If you bought a super version of Mato's tanks, I think he still supplies a bottle of bbs. If you get a yellow bottle, they don't get much better then that. I've tested 9 different brands and types. Crosman Glo .12g are the best that I've tested. Take the ones in the little box and throw them right in the garbage.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 AM
smart racer

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

Yes, 6-cell packs. Sometimes battery packs like Venom's are not a consistant length, having the limp "noodle wire" will make them an easier fit.

If you bought a super version of Mato's tanks, I think he still supplies a bottle of bbs. If you get a yellow bottle, they don't get much better then that. I've tested 9 different brands and types. Crosman Glo .12g are the best that I've tested. Take the ones in the little box and throw them right in the garbage.
Thanks for the infro.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:35 AM
pattoncommander

Have a question for you guys with Trumpeter T-34's. The tank and controllers use a ton of standard AA batteries, but is there any other battery pack that would work in these tanks?
Both of mine (one converted to 76mm) have standard electronics that came with them. Not too happy about the system, but will have to use it until I can find someone who could install a better system for me. Wondering in a HL system with upgrade would work. Any advice gladly accepted except junk it and buy a Tamiya. Have to live within my financial means. Any offers to swap out RC system also considered.
thanx
Bill
Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 AM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of ppl have dropped HL electronics in there, me included, its pretty straight forward for the most part, I am fiddling with the finer details atm such as the recoil and gun elevation.

Paul
Old 07-02-2007, 10:01 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: smart racer

Hi, I have ordered a couple of the Heng Long tanks from Mato, do they use a standard 6 cell battery pack, also were to buy bb pellets, I could not locate them on Mato's web site - Thanks
Right now you can buy 6mm ammo at Canadian Tire or Walmart. My local paintball vendor used to cell 6mm paintballs, but stopped. He told me a very interesting thing. He says he was shut down by Canadian authorities, claiming the Airsoft guns are now illegal in Canada. He says they (The authorites, cops and customs) are taking their time but eventually every vendor will be shut down. Not sure what this will do to Mato Canada!!!! I hope this is false information. I may head out to Canadian Tire today just to see if they are still selling airsoft stuff. IF the big retailers are still selling the ammo, I won't put much faith in this gossip. If however, Canadian tire is void of 6mm stuff, then we Canadians may be in for some tough times!!!!!!!!!!.

I think the problem is the airsoft guns. They look so damn real, I can almost understand the cops concern. I just wish some common sense was thrown in, and the authorites would realize a 1/16 tank does not resemble a handheld weapon in anyway. Of course common sense and government regulators have little in common!!!!!!

Again, this was just my local paintball vendor BSing with me across the counter. I have no idea if there is any substance to this. I sure hope not.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
smart racer

YHR...thanks, that is a concern...I am located on the west coast
Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

He may be partially right...

I googled it, and there is an ongoing debate about 'replica firearms' and ones that fire 'projectiles', and the operative word that will exempt the tanks is the muzzle speed: 152.4 m/s (thats 500 fps for you Americans)

As for the AEG guns, well, the issue there is they LOOK like guns. Read a few of the forums... kids coming close to being shot for just holding one. I had pistols drawn on me and a then-friend back in the mid 90's cause I was nuts enough to flat-black a WalMart cap gun (those hideous orange ones where the caps go into the magazine)

Murphy should be fine even if they do ban the airsoft guns.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Skald

That does suck!
i just found a hobby that is cheap and keeps me near my wife and new born son.
and now it may be illegal in Canada to play with the airsoft guns in the tanks?
I hope you are right YHR and it is just a stupid rumor.

Hey smart racer...welcome to the coolest hobby on earth! Nice to see someone from my neck of the woods here!
I hope we don't get shut down...[&o] someday, we may meet on the field of armored glory!

HL Walker Bulldog...HL Tiger I...more to come(I hope)
Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 AM
darkith

Yeah, I've heard that the issue is the looks, not the function. The pro airsoft players like to use realistic looking guns, so I can see that cutting into the pro-shop's business. But the last I looked (a week ago) both Can Tire & Walmart was stocking the clear see-through AEGs and ammo.

D.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 AM
fv432
Banned

re: the airsoft problem
its the same over here in england but it seems as though the authorities are targetting "REAL looking" airsoft
weapons and not going in for the tanks although not holding our breath on that one![X(]
even though its been illegal to hold anything relatively weapon like here for years of course this over zealot approach has worked as gun crime has gone up here not down, as your average gun totting crminal doesnt realise its against the law
weve even had kids in the street as young as 6-7 arrested by so19 (swat) for holding a BB gun in the street
playing with their mates [X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
Old 07-02-2007, 01:13 PM
swathdiver

The replica airsoft guns are supposed to have orange tips on them. Mine do.

When I was a kid, anything with orange on it was cut off or painted. Of course that changed the 2nd time cops pointed their real ones at me! Why they would get all excited that a bunch of 10year olds dressed up in fatigues shooting toy guns at each was beyond me.

After that, we ride our bikes out to the woods and changed into our cammies once we got out there and "hid" our rifles under beach towels across the handle bars!

It's not a public safety issue, it's leftist politics. Toy replica guns all but disappeared here in the states when we had that guy who slept with other women as President. Then they gradually made a return, better then ever!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: fv432
weve even had kids in the street as young as 6-7 arrested by so19 (swat) for holding a BB gun in the street
playing with their mates [X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
Thats because some gangs get the kids to carry guns for them. The kids are too young to get arrested so they get let off with a warning.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
pattoncommander

I can relate to the realistic guns from both ends...I work at a military museum and also had a tank (1;1 scale) then an M-29 Weasel then a WC-51 with a propane activated cal 50 mounted and carried a Thompson and Russian PPsh-41 SMG, so am all out for realistic weapons for military history, to include painting over the orange marker on mock-up guns...BUT
having also been a police officer, it is a VERY nerve racking experience to see kids running around with these things. In today's world, young kids are really getting into the "killing" game...(not to mention the gangs which are better armed then the police)...and what they learn from the graphic and violent TV shows and video games is applied to the street. You don't know if the kid is playing with his neighborhood buddies, or is going to blow your head off when you look the other way. If you heed your natural self preservation senses, you are a child killer and loose everything. If you don't react, your family may well be without a head of household.

It's a very mixed up, dangerous world we now live in and if you look at the middle east, young kids are toting real ones and many of our gang members are pretty hip on weapons of all makes. I'd like to see purchase of these airsoft mock-ups require additional paperwork with weapon ID numbers to center the sales to military history oriented groups and keep them out of the hands of young kids. Kids will point a gun and play, without thinking how someone will react. There have been a number of kids shot for carrying one of these realistic weapons and the police officers went through hell and all kinds of legal hassles explaining why they selected the deadly force option.

I have a AK-47 airsoft rifle, totally deativated for shooting BBs, which I used to use, but have no more use for it. I can't even ad on Ebay to sell it because the name is a taboo.
That's how touchy this theme has gotten. I agree, that the guns we have in the tanks should be exempted from legal bans, but RC tankers have to back off on mounting high powered BB and gas powered guns, to insure we don't get included in the legislation.

Bill

t
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Walmart is still selling airsoft stuff, so hopefully what I heard only concerns airsoft replica's that look like real guns.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:11 AM
50Kaliber

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I de-activated my HL airsoft gun as I couldn't see the point of it, sure if it fired High Explosive ammo I may have been tempted to keep it but crappy little yellow balls??

Rather than an airsoft gun all they need is the battle system as standard, (integrated into the vehicle - not that biff looking trashcan you have to stick on the turret) perhaps a cap firing gun to make a bang and some smoke would also be cool - but airsoft? nah![X(]
Old 07-03-2007, 07:29 AM
killick64

Yes the IR "Battle System" is a great idea--- but at the present time it does me absolutely no good whatsoever (nobody to fight with!). But with the Airsoft BB's I can at least put up a paper target to shoot at, as I'm not aware of any other R/C tankers anywhere near where I live. There isn't one LHS here handling Tamiya's tanks. Ayway I don't have $!000+ to throw into a tank....

I'm probably going the only guy on this Forum with only ONE running R/C tank --and that's a 21st Panzer IV. (But that will change when the HL Pz III's are released!) So, I believe there IS room for the Airsoft Systems...

(In some small towns south of here by the way it's kids(?) with Airsoft guns who are threatening to "ruin it" for everyone by shooting randomly at signs, vehicles, etc....)

Is there anybody else out there who doesn't have a bunch of fellow tankers to "do battle with"?

Keep on Trackin'--
Paul McD.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:51 AM
50Kaliber

Yup me too, boo hoo
I have just bought a T34, hopefully my wife may play with me when a battle system comes out for the HL tanks
Old 07-05-2007, 12:03 AM
smart racer

Hi, Should I be ordering any replacement parts for my HL tanks, which should be here this week. I have read the metal tracks are nice...bit pricey right now. I have extra battery packs, bb's are available at Can.Tire, also are the VS IR systems good to look into, I have been searching for some information...thanks again for the help