Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Forum needs some new life------

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Forum needs some new life------

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:03 AM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forum needs some new life------

Hey guys whats the deal here,been reading the same posts for the last five months.Stuff is getting pulled back up thats over a year old.Same storys about when a new tank is going to be released.Every body stop building just waiting for a new release,that could be the middle of next summer.Mabe it would be nice to loosen up the forum here a little and get some other military equipment going on here along with tanks.It wasn't just tanks that won or lost the war.Where else do you go with other Military equipment that was involved in the war if not here.Trucks,halftracks,motor cycles with side cars and machine guns mounted on them,Equipment trailers that were pulled behind the trucks,artillery pieces,"later into the war"caterpillars,roadgraders,and DUCKS and other half boat/half tank gear.All in military paint colors of various shades of course.
Is there not room on here for some of this part of the history of warfare.Are we doomed to just a few history correct tank models,don't this get to the point where it's just a continual repetative build over and over of the same thing.Would it not be great to have a lot of different military vehicle builds going on,rather than a half dead forum.???? Are you for this or against this,give your opinion and why you are for or not for a few other vehicles being done here on the tank forum. BIGMIG
Old 11-18-2007, 03:23 AM
BIGMIG

Default RE: Forum needs some new life------

Been getting so bored here lately decided to hand brush one of my tiger's.Even made the gun about 3 1/2 inches longer.Painting it kind of a forest green,it's the color I would want on my tank if I had to hide out in the forest to conduct some warfare.I kind of like a few of my tanks to look a little different than they do out of the box,or like everyone else's. BIGMIG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11803.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	806229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70837.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	806230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80940.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	806231  
Old 11-18-2007, 04:26 AM
ah64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BIGMIG has a point it is boring looking at the same posts every day. I have also noticed that there are a few new guys on the forum, yet they have no questions or threads about what they are building. Yes seeing the same Tank painted 5 different ways does get old, but at least it would give the NEW guys something to show off. I don't mind reading posts on Peoples Tiger Tank or Bulldog, even though I have seen 10 Threads about them in the last 6 Months. Everyone has the right to Bragg and show off what they have spent many hours on "PERFECTING" I also belive alot of people are avoiding to post when members make commets about there tanks in a negitive way. USE THE SEARCH FUNTION, or LOOK ONLINE AND FIND IT. These are replys I have seen in past Threads and I know if I was new I would be felling alittle intimidated on Showing anyone what I have been working on. BIGMIG I belive it was you who had a post on a 1/35 Scale model from Tamiya? The first reply you recived was in the line of Models should be posted on a Modelers site not RCU. I know I posted in the same thread to and my reply was not to intimidate you but to inform you in the RCU standards that you should stay on topics of what the forum is about Radio controled "MODELS" the last word in that Heading states to me anyway that anything that has a motor in it and can be operated by radio frequency is accounted for in the RCU Tank forums. Not Just 1/25 and 1/16 scale Tanks, Not Just Tamiya or Heng Long. This is a free site and as long as nobodys fellings are getting hurt you should be able to post what you want as long as it stays on a simple topic. ex military Vehicles and equipment. SO go ahead BIGMIG and post pictures of your creations. I think it is great that you painted your Tank FOREST GREEN. Perhaps Some of us could get creative and Paint some Tanks in other various forms. Tiger Tanks with Ghost Flames would look awsome in my opion, I have a few "PARTS TANKS" lying around the work shop. In the meantime I think we should all try and incurage people to post and have fun. Even if it is a tank that has been posted in the past.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:47 AM
PapaIron

It's a nice idea BIGMIG and would add the variety needed to stop the forum from going round in circles, maybe it could be renamed to RC Military ground vehicles to encourage this posting of more varied topics.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:38 AM
killick64

I wish that reading this Forum could be more like a trip to the Hobby Shop on Saturday AM when I was a whole lot younger...!

Some of you may remember those days---We'd all done the "Model Car" Scene and Tamiya had just begun releasing it's Military Models Line. We'd stand around comparing what we wanted to buy, what we were going to use for Paint, Glue....Just about anything along that line. The store owner didn;t particularly care if you'd bought anything on THAT day as he knew you'd be getting something "Down The Road".

Not like things are today-- when the purchase of just a tube of glue and some paint gets you a frosty ok.

Back in the old days the Color of your scale soldiers what was Airfix/Humbrol SAID it was according to the BoxArt. And that's the paint we used. We didn't know any better, but we were happy with our "Green" Germans. We had FUN --and that's what counted....!

(On the "Accuracy Issue"---I've been told that the Tiger I Turret --Henschel I beilive -- was NOT "Symmetrical", but actually had one side several inches out of "True".....How may modellers here bother to incorporate this little detail their Tigers?

And BIGMIG-- the Title of this Forum is "R/C TANKS" --Not "SCALE R/C Tanks", or "HISTORICAL R/C Tanks", but simply "R/C TANKS. More power to you, and your wonderful Imagination!!)
Old 11-18-2007, 07:22 AM
shadopilot

If we were allowed to post Ebay auctions it would liven the place up! I belong to several forums and this is the only place that doesnt allow them.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 AM
pattonrocked45

agreed! this place lately is starting to slow down.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 AM
wackywheelz

Ebay links sure, but lets not dilute the overall content too much. Everyone knows that everything RC and military goes here in RC tanks. To me personally the forum is about looking at what others have done to make their tanks more realistic/tougher/better, making toys into miniature versions of the real thing - our own way of worshipping the tanks that were. I have lots of things that don't "fit" here and don't get posted, it doesn't really worry me as I post them elsewhere (where they fit with the other content), but one shouldn't feel intimidated to post their stuff for fear of criticism.

If it's RC, it goes here, it's really not the ideal place for static model builds etc. Conversions to RC yes [8D]
Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 AM
swathdiver

Seems like most guys have bought and modified their tanks already and posted. When the manufacturers come out with a new tank we'll see more posts and builds. After having been on the forum for 18 months I finally started posting my builds as I started or completed them. My latest ones are Tigers but very different from what you've seen in the past in terms of exterior details and internal layouts. Quite a few of us are working on similar setups, it takes a lot of time! Sand and fill, sand and fill, sand and fill...

Compared to the Tiger, it seems that PZIII builds are much lower, Pershing's even lower still. It was nice to see the renewed interest in the Pantiger, the consolodation of tips, Perry's CO2 guns, and the surge in Tamiya posts. I've posted 6 builds so far, all but one completed.

So as stated earlier, Go Out And Buy Some New Tanks! [sm=punching.gif]
Old 11-18-2007, 09:28 AM
steenv

I have created a new website www.panzerteam.dk

Take a look and give some feedback.

regards
Steen
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 AM
j z

Hello all. JZ here, formerly John Z. Have been following this forum for quite a while now. I think,as posted her once before, that as outdoor activities decline because of the weather, we will see more new projects and re-builds. I know for myself that in summer, there are too many things going on, and my hobbies get put on hold. The variety of models we have to choose from is also somewhat limited. There are many variations of the tiger 1 that can be built, but it is still a tiger 1. How come the manufacturers don't release some of the armor made during the cold war era? Some may not be as famous as WW2, but at this moment I would gladly accept anything new. Just my thoughts. Regards, JZ
Old 11-18-2007, 10:19 AM
shadopilot

I see nothing wrong with posting static tanks because the paint, decals and details still apply to R/C tanks. It can give great ideas as how to build up an R/C tank. I started with static tanks many years ago and still collect them.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 AM
kagero43

Hi. I am very new here both to this forum and to RC tanks (only posted about three times and replied once (now twice ). I bought a HL Panzer III a month ago, and am accurizing it. I have found the replies very very helpful as I am new to RC Tanks and know very little about the internal electronics. However, I am a "veteran" scale modeler building aircraft ships and tanks in other scales for many years. Thus it's a logical progression that I am keenly interested in the historic accurazing of RC tanks (mods, colours etc.) - I am not interested in just buying an RC tank stock and running it in my backyard. While I admit there are other sites that take care of us 1/35 tankers in the area of historic resaerch, I am curious to know many guys here are like me (both fascinated by RC and seeing and hearing this thing run!, but also interested in the historic aspects as well). I have found little here on how historically accurate some of the RC tanks are, for example, to their "real steel" counterparts. I have found numerous external accuracy problems with the HL Panzer and will post a list of them when I am done - hopefully in January!

So to start, I am working on accurzing my HL Panzer III-L into an actual vehicle: the Commanders' Vehicle of the 10th Panzer Division / 7th Panzer Regiment ("Red 7" - #19) of the Afrika Korps as they were stationed in Tunisia in early 1943. I have already done much research on this particular tank thorugh period photos and have been adding and modifying the RC tank to this actual vehicle. I hope to post pics soon, but the mods are both simple internal wiring as I am amatuer here (e.g., moving and wiring the antenna to its proper position, deleting the stupid red warning led on the mantlet, and some re-soldering for better strength); to A LOT of external mods such as new bolts, brackets, new hatches, and a more accurate engine deck and stowage bin - not to mention those damn expensive but beautiful IMPACT metal tracsk and sprockets/idlers!!!. I AM HAVING TONS OF FUN!!! and am also encouraged by the wealth and freindliness of this forum. I am VERY impressed with the scratchbuilt tanks too!

So maybe I am bias becasue I am new here, but I like this forum and am learngin alot. I would only like to see some a bit more post by others like me (I'd love to see how accurate the TAMIYA full otptions are)! I am in the midst of buying a Tamiya Panther 1/16 and converting it to early G !!! It's now your fault that I need to buy a bigger house

Harvey
Old 11-18-2007, 10:26 AM
wackywheelz

Theres other forums for that kind of stuff. Otherwise we'd get 1/72 dioramas and all kinds of funky stuff going on here (which really belong elsewhere). I collect [link=http://www.hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=244.0]static tanks[/link] too, but I don't feel the need to post them because I don't think they fit the main subject matter (RC tanks and military vehicles). The way it is now you don't have to dig through endless mounds of fodder to find what you want - Thats what makes RCU's RC tank sub-forum excellent - people come here to see exactly whats here, if they want to see all that other stuff they go to other sites dedicated to them.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:35 AM
kagero43

I think the bottomline is that we should all try to post more pics of our work too. I agree that it is not the intent of this site to be a static model forum as there is lots elswhere for that, BUT see no harm in the history and accuracy as they related to the commercial RC tanks on the market. For example, I was facinated by the psots by somem of you that stated that the new T-72 was actually a TIGER in terms of the sound! I would not have know that! But also don;t get me wrong, if another guy has fun painting his tank "pink", then "why not" - as long as he is having fun! I like to see anything on "tracks" that moves and sounds like a tank - just my two cents. Let's build, run more tanks and see more posts of in-build mods! Posting on the web chat groups is fun, but let's not take that away in the end, from actually "doing" the hobby! Cheers - Harvey
Old 11-18-2007, 11:43 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been a member on this forum for a year now. I agree it would be great if this forum was more lively. I used to try an start a Sunday Nite Foto Fun thread.(SNFF)

The idea of this was to supply a thread that would showcase what people had been working on in the past week. The idea was to be just a couple of pictures similiar to what you see in the showcase section of the monthly magazines. The idea was to encourage, maybe even inspire others to get busy. People react differently to critiscm so I personally believe it should not be given unless asked for. Rather then pick apart someone elses work, I would sooner see a post congratulating the effort complete with another picture example showing a correction of the particular flaw that someone has picked out.

I think there is room for weathering pictures and examples in any scale. To me anything that crosses over the scales should be included, so weathering and electronics is pretty much the same idea no matter what scale you are in. I sure am not going to complain if I start seeing how to techniques with respect to finish, or electronic projects.

Although this forum is not as busy as others, I find the help here to be top notch. Bottom line is guys, don't be afraid to post pictures of your work. You will find it will improve your modeling efforts, as the camera is the ultimate critic. It will pick up any flaw, and you will feel compelled to fix it, improving your over all effort.

I have been adding Darkith's Battle system to my tanks of late and have not been doing any new construction, I just finished with my T-34. I'll try to get some photos of this work up.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:38 PM
blitzkrieg65

Ya YHR, I agree about posting your pics, so what if they aren't museum material. I am certainly not a great modeler but I post my stuff anyway I look at and think about what I can do on it later!

And on it being stagnant I think some of it is that time of year, many out there are waiting their King Tiger, from Tamiya & Heng Long/Matorro! Like YHR, I too am beefing up Darkiths battle system to take it to SCAT i gues I could post a pic or two if that,, and I have Tiger build just waiting on Parts, It will have El Mod Booster, CSI and Think Tank Drive, along with some special Impact Gears, but still waitng on Parts post it later.. Some time Next year I want to build a Howizter that fires IR off of an Ultra sonic movement sensor, so there is much to come, I am sure other guys have a lot going on or planned, it just take time for some of us that aren't retired yet!

The Blitz
Old 11-18-2007, 02:51 PM
swathdiver

The place for historical information is in the War Room. I regularly post up there and would love to discuss Pz. Rgt. 7 as they incorporated the Pz. Abt. 501 into the regiment. Always on the hunt for real Afrika pictures too!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:32 PM
shadopilot

ORIGINAL: wackywheelz

Theres other forums for that kind of stuff. Otherwise we'd get 1/72 dioramas and all kinds of funky stuff going on here (which really belong elsewhere). I collect [link=http://www.hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=244.0]static tanks[/link] too, but I don't feel the need to post them because I don't think they fit the main subject matter (RC tanks and military vehicles). The way it is now you don't have to dig through endless mounds of fodder to find what you want - Thats what makes RCU's RC tank sub-forum excellent - people come here to see exactly whats here, if they want to see all that other stuff they go to other sites dedicated to them.
Thats just the kind of thinking that turns people away. So, I guess we should get rid of the tank reference stickey then because their not R/C ??
Old 11-18-2007, 06:06 PM
wackywheelz

If it keeps things that aren't meant to be in this area out, then so be-it.

Look at all the sites devoted to static models, theres literally hundreds - and really good ones. If I want RC tank advice, to see RC tanks in action, guides and projects etc I come here. Lower the bar, dilute the content, then when people come here looking for help/answers they have to sift through even more unrelated things just to find what they need.

YHR is really on to something (SNFF thread). A thread or new thread started once a week devoted to what everyone is/has been working on that week. I would love to see that put into play, and would actively contribute as I always have a lot on the go.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:11 PM
hdbeast

The SNFF thread was a great idea and I looked forward to reading it each week, maybe when the weather starts slowing us down it will show back up. I'll have a small project to add to it
Old 11-18-2007, 06:13 PM
OwlsfanDan

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in as well. I have been on this forum for about a year, as I got a HL Pershing for last Christmas. This was my first serious RC tank. I have found this forum to be an excellent source of information and help, and everyone has been really friendly and welcoming. Quite often, I look at the forum, without posting any messages myself, as it is interesting to read what other people have said. I have always been interested in tanks and other military vehicles, and military history too, so I like the fact that things like this are discussed, as well as the actual models. I agree that maybe we shouldn't get too far away from the original reason for this forum (i.e. RC tanks as opposed to static model ones), but I feel that anything that is of interest or assistance to our RC tank hobby should be posted, such as static model weathering tips as mentioned in an earlier post on this thread.
Just my opinion anyway!!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:06 PM
shadopilot

One thing for sure, this thread put a little life in the forum!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 AM
tomsrctankdotcom
Banned

anybody got the Forces of Valor WITTMANN Last Battle TIGER 1:16 85504?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:51 AM
wackywheelz

for the price it goes for.... nuh-uh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.