Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Sherman Progress(Finished, just about)

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sherman Progress(Finished, just about)

Old 12-23-2007, 01:47 PM
kurtmeyer
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sherman Progress

YOUR SHERMAN LOOKS AWESOME!
Old 12-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I must say that the commander looks very nice.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2007, 02:29 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I added the crew, periscopes to the hatches and loaded her up with gear.

Next comes the weathering.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11842.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	832790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42170.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	832791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32282.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	832792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60990.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	832793   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10170.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	832794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60339.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	832795  
Old 12-24-2007, 02:43 AM
Leo2A6 Owner

thats one slick looking sherman. Needs some mud and dirt on it. Only one way to get that
Old 12-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Wight

Looking good.Great work.
Did you do the tarp rolls yourself?If so you may have to tell us how.
How do you feel it drives compared to your other tanks?

Cheers.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 AM
YHR

The Tarp rolls were purchased off a place on the net. Drives?????. This thing drives???? I don't know, all I have is a two channel radio, and I decided to go with a Spektrum 6. Rather then screw around with a two channel I decide to wait. So this thing hasn't turned a wheel yet.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:36 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Wight:

Think I recognise the tarps, crates and fuel cans on the back - www.Built-A-Rama.com I ~think~ they have a UK affiliate, UK Military Might or something (seen it on eBay) but I wouldn't say for sure... too much bootleg-copying going on these days.

I have the BaR tarps & duffel bags set, and its money well spent. Their sandbags are also fabulous, though the shipping weight across the pond might hurt. The crew packs look like either Verlinden's, Kirin's or good copies (I have an original set of Kirin's)

Looks good YHR.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:13 PM
YHR

I washed the tank with grey to tone down the paint and give it a faded look, and then a wash of black to "pop" the details out. Dry brushed on metal to enhance the features and weathered around the filler caps for spilled fuel. I still need to add the spare wheels and I am looking for some sand bags, but this pretty much does it for now.

The driver is mounted on a spring like a jack in the box. Open the hatch and he springs out.

Hope you enjoyed the photos on my progress.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10886.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	833092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19977.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	833093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13999.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	833094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52542.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	833095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55099.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	833096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60848.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	833097  
Old 12-24-2007, 01:17 PM
JerB

wow great job, yet another tank from you that looks fantastic.

Jeremy
Old 12-24-2007, 01:41 PM
hdbeast

Very Nice YHR, like the fuel spillage and the periscopes,[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] I need to make a antenna for mine, I like how you did yours. Are you going with the DX6 or wait for the DX6i? I'm going to pick up a DX6i when they come in for my (Tam) King Tiger. By the time I finally start the King Tiger (still waiting for upgrade parts) that radio might be in stock.

Gary
Old 12-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Wight

Superb,really brings it to life.I too like what you have done with the spillage effects.
Now drive it and see why tamiya's really are so good,even if it is only 2 channel for the time being.
I think thats why mine is taking so long.I can't stop driving it around the house at the moment.

Cheers.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:09 PM
gigantohawk

YHR I'm staggered and amazed that you can take a Tamiya Sherman out of the box and a week later arrive at those results...It looks great...How do you find the hours in the day to build so fast...Mine is 4 months in the build and still incomplete...you don't take energy enhancing "substances" do you ?.
How are you going to treat/model the joint line between turret top and bottom ?. Are you going to minic the fullsize casting texture or go for a smooth look ?.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:19 PM
tailend charlie

Great looking tank. I am striving to get mine (AKA my sons) looking that good. It's my first. There is so much I have seen here and want to do that I know I will have to get several tanks. I was thinking of opening the drivers hatch too!. If you don't mind and if it is not a trade secret. How did you do it? I have been contemplating different ways, but since it is up front and highly visible I don't want to mess up.[X(]

Thanks, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:16 PM
gigantohawk

Tailend Charlie...merry christmas to you...I know YHR is offfline at the moment but I asked him the same question regarding the driver/aux driver hatches...This is how he does it...Drill a small pilot hole...(drill bit probably 1mm)...in the hatch groove. Then thread through a length of cotton thread through the hole and with a fast sawing motion follow the thread along the hatch groove...I'm told the thread will probably break a few times but pass more thread through and continue all the way round to the hinge area...The friction of the thread melts the plastic...It's a bit like a medieval thermic lance...The hinge area is a bit different, I think YHR uses exacto blades to cut this section...Let me know how you get on, I've yet to do mine...

All the best

Gigantohawk
Old 12-24-2007, 04:17 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: gigantohawk

YHR I'm staggered and amazed that you can take a Tamiya Sherman out of the box and a week later arrive at those results...It looks great...How do you find the hours in the day to build so fast...Mine is 4 months in the build and still incomplete...you don't take energy enhancing "substances" do you ?.
How are you going to treat/model the joint line between turret top and bottom ?. Are you going to minic the fullsize casting texture or go for a smooth look ?.

I only need about 5 hrs sleep. I have always been that way. So my evenings may be a little longer then most people. I also know very quickly what I want. In 30 minutes I will have the whole thing cased out, and then I just build it. I guy can (waste??) a lot time pondering what it is you really want to build. It is not really a waste of time because that can be enjoyable, but pondering does eat up time. My Kids are just about grown 20 and 18, so I am finding I have more time for myself as they need less and less of my attention. My bride is very patient after 22 years. She knows where I am when I am workng on my hobbies, so she doesn't say much. She throws me some raw meat and brings me a coffee every once in awhile.(She has a demanding profession and it eats up a lot of her time.) Her hobby is cleaning the house!!!!!. No kidding. She loves to clean, and straighten up. I think she is a saint. I am very blessed to have such a wonderful partner.

Tailend Charlie.

You use sewing thread to cut open the hatches. Drilll a hole with a pin vise in the recessed line. Thread in sewing thread, and then using a sawing action cut along the recessed line. Takes about 10 minutes.( I do around the hinges the same way)
Old 12-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

I now what you mean man. I built my Tiger in 3 days, leopard 2 in 5 days. I have built a sherman for a friend. That took 4 days. The longest time is the preperation. I transfer all my screws into ziplock bags so i can seal the bag up and not lose any while im building. After that its a simple matter of glueing and screwing things together. Aside from the bogie insides everything else gets painted once its all together like the real thing to.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:41 PM
tailend charlie

Many thanks for the replies. This forum is great, using sewing thread who would have though. (Necessity is the mother of invention). I will do it after my son opens it for Christmas. Gigantohawk when I do it I will let you now how it comes out when a amateur does it.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:47 PM
gigantohawk

Ok fine, no problem...No offense intended...English humour Et al...I need 7 hours sleep and yes I spend and enjoy a lot of my hobby time studying things...no harm in that is there...My children are 19 and 15 similar age to yours in the grand scheme of things and probably equally as undemanding, as is my understanding wife...Having said that I'm surprised that you can build a tank that quick...
Old 12-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Wight

I'm the same.Spend more time researching than actually modelling.
But that's what I find fun about this hobby,I like the history side of it too.
My trouble is that I am my own worst critic.
Been working on my Sherman since Febuary,and I still feel I have loads to do.
I also have 4 young kids and not so much time to dedicate to it.I make the most of the time I do have though.
We all approach this hobby differently and thats what makes this forum great.
Cheers.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:17 PM
blitzkrieg65

THR, I can't believe you don't have the IR battle unit in it yet! Just kidding I am amazed as well with you speed and ability, its not so much the speed but the quality of the work with the speeed, Impressive! Oh and you will have to add the IR battle unit so you can make the comparison your self with the DBU! Hey wasn't it you that was going to come south for the winter, that would be neat to meet you at the DAK battle, and see some of your work in person!

The Blitz
Old 12-24-2007, 05:32 PM
gigantohawk

Wight....4 young kids ...magical..I remember those years with mine. Make the most of it...
p.s. nice to know I'm not the only one who likes to spend a of time on research.
Keep me posted on your Sherman build...you never know, I may be able to help.
My family and I visited Normandy in 2004 and spent some time with the Shermans that are on guard there.
I'm sure you're busy with Christmas with your family...Have fun and enjoy.

Merry Christmas

Gigantohawk
Old 12-24-2007, 07:28 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Leo2A6 Owner

I now what you mean man. I built my Tiger in 3 days, leopard 2 in 5 days. I have built a sherman for a friend. That took 4 days. The longest time is the preperation. I transfer all my screws into ziplock bags so i can seal the bag up and not lose any while im building. After that its a simple matter of glueing and screwing things together. Aside from the bogie insides everything else gets painted once its all together like the real thing to.

I put the screws ziplocks right away. I also have shop space dedicated to model building. I just walk away and leave everthing out until next time. My Paint booth is right beside my workbench so it doesn't take me long to paint either.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:43 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Guys:

I prefer one of those Plano fishing or hardware storage boxes... I began collecting 'em and they went and changed the latches on me!

Got one for my 3mm and up hardware, one for the under 3mm hardware, one for all the bits for my two Kubels, one for all my Sherman and Pershing bits. I even one for my Tamiya spares, like shock oil, grease & 'bloo-goo' locktite tubes, flat & 4-way wrenches, and other 'tools'.

You can find cheap small ziplocs in the dollar stores in 1 x2" up to almost sandwich-bag sizes. I've begun to put 'em in small ziplocs within the Plano's, 'cause the divider's don't always stay put.

Another thought is the multi-compartment pill storage units. I got a few small ones for setscrews and other unique hardware.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:20 PM
killick64

'Wolf --Went to that site you mentioned for tank accessories 'n stuff --it's actually

http://www.build-a-rama.com/

1/18 scale stuff, but NICE!!!

Way to Go, Dan!!! Museum-Quality Build!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 PM
slotcarrod

Fantastic job YHR! Wish I had 1/10th your tallent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.