Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Vs Heng Long upper to lower hull fixing advice

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Vs Heng Long upper to lower hull fixing advice

Old 02-17-2008, 06:20 AM
bravo_2_zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Vs Heng Long upper to lower hull fixing advice

I have Heng Long tanks and i'm wanting to seal them up for safety from the elements. I know heng long are held together by a dozen or screws and the battery has a few too. How dose the Tamiya fix together, i've not seen one yet with post holes for screws. I was wondering if a heng long could be converted to same way ?

Cheers Eric
Old 02-17-2008, 06:43 AM
wackywheelz

Default RE: Tamiya Vs Heng Long upper to lower hull fixing advice

I know with the sherman it just has clips either side, pull and bend the sides out slightly and the top pops off. In contrast, I think the HL's have so many screws to keep people out of them, imagine if the target audience managed to get their hands inside, all those lovely wires to pull and tug at. Screws keep people intimidated, which in-turn stops more "i f'd my HL tank" threads popping up
Old 02-17-2008, 01:14 PM
lonewolf1300

i was suprised that my tigers had to have the tracks removed to take the top off, left the four screws out under the top side skirts to make it easy to take the top off in future. where as the pershing and the bulldog have screws all accesable from underneath, maybe the heng long people have realised their customers needs and allowed for better entry into the hull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
after all there product is starting to go out of the TOY END OF THE MARKET and into the scale model area, and a wealth of upgrades and add ons are fuelling a rapidly growing sellers group, some good (reasonably priced ) some bad (really dear borering on ripoff ) and it will get bigger and hopefully heng long will grow with it and become a good supplier of quality well priced scale models...
Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 PM
ksoc

The Tamiya Tiger top deck comes off. It is held on with clips front and back, and two SMALL screws at the front of the turret. The biggest hassle is connecting/disconnecting the air clearer tubes on the rear deck - if your version has them. I picked up a HL Tiger, but haven't cracked it open yet to compare.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96632.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	881248  
Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM
tim001ca

ORIGINAL: ksoc

The Tamiya Tiger top deck comes off. It is held on with clips front and back, and two SMALL screws at the front of the turret. The biggest hassle is connecting/disconnecting the air clearer tubes on the rear deck - if your version has them. I picked up a HL Tiger, but haven't cracked it open yet to compare.
So that is what a stock TAM looks like under the hood? Wow looks allot better built then a HL.. the wires are so THICK.. very nice
Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 PM
wackywheelz

Once you crack open a HL Tiger for the first time, I never put the 6 screws above the tracks back in, you just dont need so many screws holding it together, so I just use the few that are underneath, makes it a crapload easier than taking off the tracks to get to the other 6 screws.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:59 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use three screws. One at the front and two at the very rear. I have metal upagrades and pick the thing up by the fenders all the time. Never an issue with it ever coming apart.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:04 PM
wackywheelz

Exactly. You just don't need 9 screws holding it together
Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Planedev

The Tamiya pershing has 4 screws to hold the top deck down, 2 in the workable driver and radio operator hatch and 2 in the rear from teh sides near the tracks. For simple maintanence I only unscrew the 2 in the hatches.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:19 PM
brel
Banned

ORIGINAL: YHR

I use three screws. One at the front and two at the very rear. I have metal upgrades and pick the thing up by the fenders all the time. Never an issue with it ever coming apart.
sound good to me, I don't want to be taking the tracks of every time I want to work on the insides. i to have up graded with metal gears wheels and tracks.