Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Remove Panzer III return wheel mounts?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Remove Panzer III return wheel mounts?

Old 02-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Panzerfaust77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Panzer III return wheel mounts?

Fellow tankers [8D]

My Panzer III is in the process of receiving a major upgrade and I bought these off ebay recently:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Metall-TRA...QQcmdZViewItem

The main reason was to get the nut-fixed axle pins because after removing the stock ones to fit metal return wheels, they're now too loose and are liable to fall out. However I'm thinking about replacing the mounts too as it's pretty decent kit (each mount is fixed with 3 small nuts on the rear side).

How could I go about removing the plastic mounts? I'm very cautious about this so I may not do it if it's too risky. They appear to be glued in pretty solidly.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
fv432
Banned

Default RE: Remove Panzer III return wheel mounts?

You could always try a razor saw and file the rest flat or a dremel would work (very carefully)
Old 02-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Panzerfaust77

ORIGINAL: fv432

You could always try a razor saw and file the rest flat or a dremel would work (very carefully)
I don't actually have a dremel. I guess I should pick one up...
Old 02-28-2008, 03:03 PM
fv432
Banned

pretty handy tool my friend
Do you have a MAPLINS near you as they had a deal on one (not a dremel but same as)
for £20 plus 120 bits in it's own cabinet
Old 02-28-2008, 04:21 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This link: it has everything you're doing with some great pictures.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6962931/anchors_6962931/mpage_1/key_raise%252Creturn%252Crollers/anchor/tm.htm#6962931]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6962931/anchors_6962931/mpage_1/key_raise%252Creturn%252Crollers/anchor/tm.htm#6962931[/link]
Old 02-28-2008, 05:00 PM
gigantohawk

Philipat has posted a link to my build thread that included raising the return rollers. The pictures of that part came out supersized and ridiculous. I could try and post those pics again to see if they are a useable size. However removing the roller mounts is not difficult. Simply scrape of the attaching glue to the mount pins on the inside face. Then with some gentle rocking they should work free. If at the same time you are going to raise the mounts to improve the scale look of your PZIII, then again I could try and post pics of that as well.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Panzerfaust77

Did you think maybe the pics weren't big enough?

Damn it these things are in tight. I wish I just left them alone now - I've made a real mess of it []

I sanded down the attachment pins on the inside of the hull so that they were flush with it and then tried to remove it. I removed one (with a lot of effort) by cutting it off but had to drill out the plastic from the holes. A real nightmare. If anyone else is thinking about doing this - don't.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once I can gather the pieces I'd like to replace the return roller mounts with the metal ones and raise them at the same time. Your build was a great tutorial, but any additional pictures that you have would be awesome!

Philip
Old 02-29-2008, 03:44 PM
gigantohawk

Hi Philip,
Thanks for the compliment. I can't find the additional pics and that assembly is now complete. Heres a link to panzer-ketten that I've posted before. It was the inspiration behind my build. Pick Potts roller mod is different to mine. I kept the pins on the mounts and didn't use the brass sleeve. But I used the plasticard reinforcement on the inside of the hull. So I suppose my method is more "standard" Heng Long. Take your pick, either works. Thinking about it his is probably easier, there's only one hole to drill per mount. Where as there's four to drill with mine.
To remove the roller pins, simply place a soldering iron tip to the hull end of the pin. When the roller end of the pin gets hot, pull gently and it will come free. Be careful with the iron. Don't let it slip and spoil any plastic.
If you haven't done it already it would also be a good time to put plasticard backing to the inside of the suspension arm slots.
If you need any more help just holler.
I've been doing "welds" on mine over the last couple of days...very time consuming. I using fine white milliput with some !!! success. I'm not sure how they are going to look until I get to the base coat stage.But here's hoping.

Heres the link,

http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com...tuser=0&page=1

All the best,

Nick.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

Bringing this one back almost a year later, but is it normal to break the mounting pins off while removing these? HL StuG.

I was real careful last night...cut all around the pins with a razor knife up to the plastic reinforcement thats under the mount on the outside of the hull, cut off the pins inside the body flush, then tried to push the mount off with a punch on the legs of the mount from the inside. When that didn't work I tried to pry the mount off from the outside with a jewelers screwedriver under each side, "rocking" the mount loose, but the hull side just flexed. Tried rapping the mount sharply with a small pair of pliers to break any glue bond that I may have missed, no luck. Eventually all three rollers I worked on broke two or all three of the mounting pins off flush with the hull.

The glue they used on mine (plenty, most of the glue used in the hull ran all the way to the floor because there was so much) seems to be a bit rubbery, not as brittle as I would have expected. Not to mention, there is evidence of glue on the OUTSIDE of the hull, which from posted pictures on this site of others doing the same thing, didn't appear to be used on other models.

Just kind of wondering if some have had as bad a time as I have. Was hoping I'd get some "good" spares for others to use, or to use as supports under the metal ones, but doesn't look like it.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
blitzkrieg65

I used a dremil on mine and the middle shaft will get hot if you touch it with the cutting wheel when you are cutting away the housing off of the side of the hull! And the whole thing pull right out! I moved the hole and used them again, and used a 2 part epoxy called plastic fustion to re-attach them to the new spot on the sie of the hull! Now when I was cutting the housing I could feel the cutting wheel hitting the center pin or axle and I just made sure I hit it some and not cut into it, just touched it enough to create some heat on the shaft to remove it!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8419312

The Blitz
Old 03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

A bit confused on the dremel part. You used a dremel on the inside of the hull to grind the "legs" down, which imparted heat to the area, perhaps making the glue weaker? Or did you use a real thin dremel blade and cut the mounts off the outside of the hole? It sounds like you simply cut the mount off the outside, not retaining the "legs" that mount them?

I had no problem with the return rollers themselves, I simply grabbed the wheel assembly with a pair of pliers and pulled all six of them straight from the hull.

I suppose if heat is the answer, I could use my heat gun on the hull and see if it weakens the glue. But with the return roller being glued to the outer part of the hull, I don't know as I could get all the glued areas hot enough before melting one spot.

I've got the metal replacements, but I figured I could get rid of the plastic ones to folks that aren't interested in metal, IF I could get them off in one piece.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: dyeager535

A bit confused on the dremel part. You used a dremel on the inside of the hull to grind the "legs" down, which imparted heat to the area, perhaps making the glue weaker? Or did you use a real thin dremel blade and cut the mounts off the outside of the hole? It sounds like you simply cut the mount off the outside, not retaining the "legs" that mount them?

I had no problem with the return rollers themselves, I simply grabbed the wheel assembly with a pair of pliers and pulled all six of them straight from the hull.

I suppose if heat is the answer, I could use my heat gun on the hull and see if it weakens the glue. But with the return roller being glued to the outer part of the hull, I don't know as I could get all the glued areas hot enough before melting one spot.

I've got the metal replacements, but I figured I could get rid of the plastic ones to folks that aren't interested in metal, IF I could get them off in one piece.
Are you talking about the 3 corners, I just cut right through that I did not worry about keeping them nice as I too will eventually replace the whole thing with the metal mounts and the parts that I did cut off I just filled in with plastic! The heat part was the center shaft or axle that is glued into the hull!
Oh what I find great for loosening CA or other kinds of glue is WD-40 an it does not hurt the plastic!

The Blitz