Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hybrid power plant.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:49 PM
rickster3057

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid power plant.

I have been toying with the idea of a small hybrid power plant for RC tanks, no more charging no more batteries failing ,off the shelf parts and really easy to fit, has anyone tried this idea????or experimented with it i have one built and tested already.
Rickster3057.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:01 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hybrid power plant.

Are you talking about a combustion engine? [sm=50_50.gif]
Old 03-05-2008, 04:02 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought about it once for RC warships but then got into tanks. Whaddaya thinking about?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:45 PM
angusx

This is another way to minimize dealing with batteries, and I suppose you could also make it a hybrid.

http://www.instructables.com/id/RC-Steam-Turbine-Tank/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28935.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	895683  
Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
wackywheelz

Just don't expect to battle with a steam powered tank - you'd have the mobility of a Maus
Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 PM
JackDubious

If by hybrid you mean a hamster in a wheel, then dont waste your time. Not enough torque. I speak from experience.

R.I.P. Skittles

-JDub
Old 03-06-2008, 12:58 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JackDubious

If by hybrid you mean a hamster in a wheel, then dont waste your time. Not enough torque. I speak from experience.

R.I.P. Skittles

-JDub

LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Planedev

A hamster is too small for the job, get a chinchilla, they have more power behind them. Maybe I shld make a wheel on my tank for one of my own chinchillas hmmmm.....
Old 03-06-2008, 07:49 AM
rickster3057

Lol, I like the chinchilla . i am thinking of a four stroke nitro motor hooked up to a small wind turbine ,you can get hand sized wind turbines, like a baby genenerator you could even plug it into a battery charge and run at the same time,waddaya think?????
i have an os engine attached to a wind turbine and used it for charging 12v batteries until it stopped working.
Rickster3057
Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Panzerfaust77

ORIGINAL: JackDubious

R.I.P. Skittles

-JDub
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 AM
darkith

Would be neat, kinda of like a diesel-electric locomotive, with hybrid reserve power on tap.

Problems could be:
Size...hard to fit everything in a tank as is, now you need to add engine, generator, rectifier/regulator.
Weight...more weight needs more power means more weight (augh, my head exploded)
Heat...engine+generator+regulator+motors = toasty?
Efficiency...most small generators are pretty poor, and glow fuel isn't exactly cheap. Using $5 worth of fuel to generator $1 of electricity might be the situation.

Dunno how much effort it would be worth though. NiCd/Nimh Batteries are pretty cheap and robust and can be swapped in and out. Lipos give you really long runtime if you can afford them. Direct gas drive would give you lots of power, and fast pit stops (refueling instead of recharging).

Hybrid in a tank...what's the advantage? Guess it would depend more on the size of the tank, as that would change a lot of the variables...
I'd be interested to see where you go with this.

D.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 AM
swathdiver

I could see a fairly efficient plant in a 1/6 scale tank. Have also seen an electric motor converted to an alternator on an RC airplane before too. So it could be done, more for the "cool" factor then anything. I wanted to build a 1/96 scale Perry Class Frigate with Gas Turbines! Of course, I didn't have $10k lying around for 2 engines not to mention the reduction gears and everything else that would be needed, but it sure would be cool to power a model warship with a miniature plant of what actually propelled it!

This brings me back to a conversation I was having over at Hobby Havoc. How about a scale sized Maybach that fits in the engine bay of the Tiger and actually works? Would use real pistons with rare earth magnets to spin the crankshaft, or something like that. John Drain of PT Boat modelling fame toyed with the idea a couple of years ago then went brushless. The gearboxes are already available too.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 AM
blitzkrieg65

I was thinking of solar charging the tanks to keep it going, but Nasa already did it with the Mars Rovers and it would not be a tank anymore[:'(][:'(][:'(]

http://www.global-merchants.com/home/tgm750.htm

The Blitz [sm=shades_smile.gif]

Old 03-06-2008, 11:03 AM
heavyaslead

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A regenerative alternator may be interesting, but not very efficient as tanks generally stop often and remain stationary for periods.

A solar panel would not last more than a few seconds and where would the panels go?

Small radioactive isotopes comes to mind but that is way out of the average persons budget!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:36 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: heavyaslead

A regenerative alternator may be interesting, but not very efficient as tanks generally stop often and remain stationary for periods.

A solar panel would not last more than a few seconds and where would the panels go?

Small radioactive isotopes comes to mind but that is way out of the average persons budget!
Heavyslead, it is coming on the horizon they are developing those in small power form! They would replace all of you wall warts you have in your home its only about 3 years away they say![sm=idea.gif]

The Blitz
Old 03-06-2008, 11:36 AM
icecreamslick

So, what we need is a battery powering the motors and a generator powered by those motors, which charges the battery....sounds simple enough.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Planedev

In all seriousness, I think we should wait for the fuel cells they are developing for laptops and hope we can adapt them for RC applications(planes and tanks alike)
Old 03-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Perry S.

Fuel Cells for RC applications will not be ready fro at least 5 more years. They may be an eventual solotion though. From an energy density standpoint Lithium ion batteries are just too good of an incumbant technology for them to beat.
Perry

Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Planedev

I have also been looking atteh A123 cells which a pack of 2S is 7.2 volts fully charged, which seems to be a perfect drop in for Nicd and Nimh packs. The current ones are at up to 2700Mah, if you want more run time a pack of 2S2P will give you 5400Mah of run time while have the same or lower wt than a NiCD?NiMH equivalant.

Problem here is taht my current Lipo chargers do not support charging A123 cell type or also know as LiFeP04 batteries
Old 03-07-2008, 06:36 AM
icecreamslick

For me LiPo is OUT. I have seen and heard too many horror stories to ever use them around my children and home. I realize that much of that is foolish user error, but it still seems too chancy. I've tried LiMN (Lithium Manganese) because they are much safer, but bigger, too.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 AM
rickster3057

Hi all,this thread has really gone wild LOL,got some great thinkers here.
Any way to answer one of the questions i was thinking more about the 1/6th tanks lots of room.
On the fuel cell front a company called ultracell do a buy now ready fuel cell that runs 25 watts from 5v to 30v it is a really small system and runs on fuel similer to screenwash
in replacable hot swappable catridges similer to lighter fuel canisters they run miltec laptops at the momment
I had my own company and was going to sell them for field charging,power panel running.
They sell for $4000 ,yep expensive but here now. go to ULTRACELL.com
I really like the idea of the power pack like the real tanks drop in job done,wander if an engineering modeler has made one ,you can buy small v8 motors,i know a guy has retro fit an aphib tank with a zeonah engine running a dyno for electric.
Here,s another one for you, a company in germany do copies of liebher plant, even down to real fully functioning hydraulics driving the axles and all the blades tipper beds ect,you can buy this all now as well ,not cheap but with a really nice lypo,li-ion brushless motor battery set to presurise the system your talking long runtimes and the sitting around factor wouldnt come into it.
The units come in all sizes so could fit most tanks and being hydraulic no transmission problemsto just fit the axle to the drive sprockets, its just a thought.
An for the big tanks how about a gas generator out with the batteries in with the generator.
anyone tried any of these ideas???????
Rickster3057.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Perry S.

25 watts won't run a 1/6 scale tank unfortunately and the Ultracell unit is too big for 1/16 scale. I think fuel cell technology will get there eventualy but you will have to wait another 5 years for them to become a commodity item. The proce will drop then. 7-8 yrs from now we'll probably be pulling them out of old electronics devices.
Perry
Old 03-08-2008, 08:14 AM
rickster3057

Hi perry, yep i totally agree, thats the way modeling goes, we always use scavenged eletronics.
nice idea hough????
Rickster3057