Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

finished first tank

Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 AM
erikreid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finished first tank

well I finished my first tamiya build EVER. It had been at least 10 years since i built a model. on top of that I really never painted/weathered. So basically this was my first completed project. I know it does not compare to everyone elses fine work, but meh, i have to start somewhere. any input is greatly appricated for I KNOW i have PLEANTY of room for improvement. thank you in advance for the comments. Now its time to start planning/collecting add ons for my jagdpanther before i start that build.

Keep on tanking

P.S any info on better hiding the decal outline is greatly appriciated. I know i could us top BUT when i tried that on a spare piece of plastice with the weathering materials, it dampened it and it did not have the dust effect i was looking for, course if you know a better technique for sealing it i would LOVE to know that as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46437.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	915654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23074.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	915655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23463.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	915656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61214.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	915657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50445.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	915658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md50849.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	915659  
Old 03-28-2008, 11:20 AM
hdbeast

Default RE: finished first tank

You did a very nice job on the tank,[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] The nice thing about this hobby is as you see or learn a mod that someone else has done, you can add it to your tank later, there is always days when you have finished your last build and just need to do something new to the old build, it will never stop.

Gary
Old 03-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Soulfly3

looks great!!!

awesome job!!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
pzrwest

to help eliminate the "silvering" as it is called, decals should be applied over a gloss base. Silvering is caused by air being trapped under the decal when applied to matt or semi-matt paint. You can use gloss paint or apply glosscoat to the area where you want the decal to be. After the decal is applied to the gloss area and has set you then over spray the area with dullcoat then do your weathering. Also the use of decal setting solutions like "Solveset" will also allow the decal to "snuggle" down to the surface and also helps decals match the surface detail under the decal. But be sure to follow the directions when useing these solutions and don't be tempted to press out any wrinkles that form while the solution is working this normal they will flatten out.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:36 AM
erikreid

ORIGINAL: pzrwest

to help eliminate the "silvering" as it is called, decals should be applied over a gloss base. Silvering is caused by air being trapped under the decal when applied to matt or semi-matt paint. You can use gloss paint or apply glosscoat to the area where you want the decal to be. After the decal is applied to the gloss area and has set you then over spray the area with dullcoat then do your weathering. Also the use of decal setting solutions like "Solveset" will also allow the decal to "snuggle" down to the surface and also helps decals match the surface detail under the decal. But be sure to follow the directions when useing these solutions and don't be tempted to press out any wrinkles that form while the solution is working this normal they will flatten out.

so it is better to prep the area, apply the decal, dull coat it, then do the weathering?? I forgot step 1 and 3.. lol. at least i know for next time. thanks for the info, will defenatly try that next time.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
pzrwest

Also there is a difference between water slide decals and the rub-down type. Some of the rub-down type may not have a clear carrier film and this may be caused by the tyope of adhesive they have used. Now Letraset decals are a bit different than the HL type decals as they have no carrier film and are a bit different to apply.NEVER!!!! use decal setting solutions on HL type or Letraset decals, but do apply them to a gloss surface for maximum adhesion. The smoother the surface the less "silvering" will occure
Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
pzrwest

Always weather after the decals have been applied and dullcoated, that way the markings will appear to be there before the tank aged
Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 PM
erikreid

Always weather after the decals have been applied and dullcoated, that way the markings will appear to be there before the tank aged
I was kind of thinking to acually paint the markings on my next build. only thing is making the stencils for the markings. The numbers I can figure out. its the crosses im a little meh about. maybe making one for the just the cross then one just for the white border. its just getting the right size. maybe scan the decal sheet and print it on stencil paper.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Ern

Nice job Erik...

Take this as a compliment: the wheels and back of the tank - is that painted on or actual dirt weathering? Looks like your tank has taken a few laps around Ft. Benning, Georgia!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is an example of decals over gloss coat. My Tiger was painted, gloss coated, decaled, gloss coated over the decals again, and then dull coated over all to achieve the painted on look.

http://web.mac.com/ethandunsford/DAK...ON_131.html#37
Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
erikreid

ORIGINAL: Ern

Nice job Erik...

Take this as a compliment: the wheels and back of the tank - is that painted on or actual dirt weathering? Looks like your tank has taken a few laps around Ft. Benning, Georgia!
I used mig pigment (european dust) as I was applying it, there was a little grease around the turret area, when the pigment hit it, i looked like mud. I was like "WOW that looks good, I wonder" I took the rest of the grease i had and brushed it on in areas, then applyed the pigment. I brushed and dabbed to get the slashed and splotched on look of the mud. only things is that since it is grease, it wont dry all the way. I just need a way to seal it so it stays that way and not rub off.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
bravo_2_zero

to help eliminate the "silvering" as it is called, decals should be applied over a gloss base. Silvering is caused by air being trapped under the decal when applied to matt or semi-matt paint. You can use gloss paint or apply glosscoat to the area where you want the decal to be. After the decal is applied to the gloss area and has set you then over spray the area with dullcoat then do your weathering. Also the use of decal setting solutions like "Solveset" will also allow the decal to "snuggle" down to the surface and also helps decals match the surface detail under the decal. But be sure to follow the directions when using these solutions and don't be tempted to press out any wrinkles that form while the solution is working this normal they will flatten out.
yeh we get this at work when we laminate stuff when using vinyl on a rough surface. It dose come out in time, and it dose help when the item is in sunlight and it melts the laminate into the cracks and imperfections.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:56 PM
erikreid

ORIGINAL: bravo_2_zero

to help eliminate the "silvering" as it is called, decals should be applied over a gloss base. Silvering is caused by air being trapped under the decal when applied to matt or semi-matt paint. You can use gloss paint or apply glosscoat to the area where you want the decal to be. After the decal is applied to the gloss area and has set you then over spray the area with dullcoat then do your weathering. Also the use of decal setting solutions like "Solveset" will also allow the decal to "snuggle" down to the surface and also helps decals match the surface detail under the decal. But be sure to follow the directions when using these solutions and don't be tempted to press out any wrinkles that form while the solution is working this normal they will flatten out.
yeh we get this at work when we laminate stuff when using vinyl on a rough surface. It dose come out in time, and it dose help when the item is in sunlight and it melts the laminate into the cracks and imperfections.
you think maybe if i take a hair dryer to it it might get rid of the silvering, or at least make it less noticable???
Old 03-28-2008, 01:22 PM
bravo_2_zero

At work when we get it 'Bad' we use a squeegee and hair dryer and that takes it out. I would use a soft cotton bit of material wrapped around something hard and square like credit card. gently heat up the area and gently rub over the improvised squeegee and repeat until your satisfied.

That's how we solve vinyl errors on Banners,Boards,Vehicles and laminate.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

instead of grease, use modelling putty or just plain plastic glue to form small globs that stick out...when it dries, paint it muddy. Let it pile up on top of road wheel mounting hardware, shocks etc, where mud would tend to collect, if you want muddy suspension. . That red dirt looks like the famous Ft Knox red clay....man that stuff is hard to get off[:'(]
Old 03-28-2008, 04:20 PM
fv432
Banned

the easiest way IMHO to make crusted on mud is to get a tin of humbrol 27 and some powdered wall filler.
mix the powder with the paint and apply to the areas you want Ie roadwheels,mudgaurds and the like
works everytime for me

nice tiger by the way

Rob