Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Tiger 1 Build

Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 PM
TigerI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Tiger 1 Build

Thanks Chili!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:38 PM
chilipiper

No problem..
Old 07-13-2008, 01:44 PM
TigerI

Hey Chili, did you use bearings on you tiger or the kit bushings. I'm trying to find out the size of the bearings to buy and someone told me 5x8x2.5mm. But I measured one of the kit bushings and they work out to about 4x6x2.5mm. Kind of confused now.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:25 PM
chilipiper

Greg,
I used the bushings that came with the kit. I had looked around real quick to see if there were any bearing sets for the Tiger available online, but I didn't come up with any. As I hadn't heard of anyone having problems with the kit bushings, I decided to use them and continue on with my build.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
TigerI

Know what you mean I can't find any either, thanks Chili.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM
chilipiper

The final chapter… adding the final bits and weathering..
I gotta apologize up front.. I didn’t take pictures as I went during this phase of my build, only at the end.. I guess I was pretty focused on completing my beastie.. Anyway, I used some of the techniques found in Mig Productions book, F.A.Q., to do the weathering, along with a bunch of their weathering products. One important thing that I did along the way was to try out every step on a test panel to make sure I was satisfied with the result, before applying it to the tank.

The very first step was to apply some paint chips. To do this, I used Testors Model Master Acryl Antifouling Red (the same as what I used for primer) thinned slightly with Tamiya Thinner. This was selectively applied to various edges, grab handles, near battle damage and on hatches. I tried not to go overboard with the chipping; a lot of times I see it overdone for my tastes. It was at this step that I finished painting the various tools mounted on the deck.

Starting off, I applied a filter to the Tiger; I used 5 applications of Mig’s brown filter. This added a nice brownish cast to the dunkelgelb and the exposed primer and lessened the contrast with the olivgrun slightly. I then applied a pin wash using Mig’s Dark Wash. This was applied to various crevices, weld beads and other details that looked like they needed some contrast.

Next, I applied a coat of Future to provide a glossy base for the application of the decals. Speaking of decals, I used the ones that came with the kit. I did have one issue with them; they were amazingly unresponsive to the use of decal setting solutions. I had to apply (and keep reapplying) Micro-sol to them for 20 minutes or more to get them to snuggle down satisfactorily. Eventually, I got the decals on and sealed them in with a coat of Testor’s Dullcoat. Before applying the Dullcoat, I gave some of the chipped areas, grab handles and battle damage a metallic sheen using a soft graphite pencil.

Once the Dullcoat was dry, I added the spare tracks and the jack block. The spare tracks were finished the same way as the rest of the tracks, using the Aluminum Black, followed by the application of 2 coats of Rustall. The jack block is real wood; I used a piece of basswood cut to size, with details added from the Aber set. I stained the wood using a brown sharpie, which I then evened out by wiping with a cloth and a little alcohol.

The next step was the application of a dust coat. This was where I really hoped to tone down the difference between the dunkelgelb and olivgrun. To do this, I mixed up a mixture of Tamiya’s Buff, Medium Grey and White, until I got a nice dusty looking color and thinned it down about 10:1 with Tamiya thinner. This was lightly airbrushed all over, with emphasis on the lower hull, where you would expect it to be dustier. This gave a nice dusty appearance and succeeded in muting the difference between the dunkelgelb and olivgrun.

Next, I applied various Mig pigments to simulate rain streaks, tracked on dirt, etc. I mixed some of Mig’s Russian Earth, Light Dust, Dry Mud and Europe Dust pigments to get a mixture that had just the right amount of subtlety. I also used the Light Rust pigment on and around the various bits of battle damage.

I then added the track cable to the left hand side.The cable was made from a suitable length of galvanized picture hanging wire on to which the ends from the kit cable were grafted (I tried to make my own, but wasn’t satisfied with the results, so I used bits from the kit). The cable got a wash with the dark wash before mounting.

I decided to add some mud to my Tiger – after all, some of Tiger 332’s most famous pictures are of it stuck in the mud. I mixed up a number of test batches of mud using the recipe in Mig’s F.A.Q. I made some changes to the recipe (Mig pigments, acrylic binder, replacing the plaster with talcum powder or Rustall Dust, depending on the texture I wanted), varying the choice of pigments until I got a color I was happy with. I applied the mud to the lower hull, running gear and fenders by stippling it on with an old paint brush.

The last pieces I added were the gun cleaning rods (which I made from 1/8 inch dowels), Schumo tow shackles and tow cables. I weathered the tow cables by first spraying them with Tamiya grey primer, followed by the application of a dark wash and 1 coat of Rustall.

The first picture shows the Tiger prior to starting the weathering; The rest of the pictures show the finished product (well almost… I wasn’t completely satisfied with the color of the mud when I took the tank out in the bright sun, so I applied some of my dust color mix over the mud - I’m liking it much better). Note that I haven’t done any further weathering to the tracks, they’ll get that with use (one can reason that the real tank probably had a new set of tracks installed at some point – these are them…).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89895.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	996406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37509.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	996407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92188.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	996408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77861.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	996409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99314.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	996410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39364.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	996411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74459.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	996412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24722.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	996413  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93555.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	996414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37386.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	996415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74449.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	996416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58998.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	996417  
Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 PM
hdbeast

Nicely done, both Tanks look Great, what's next?[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Gary
Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 PM
chilipiper

Thanks Gary,
I think I'll take a short break (and actually mow the lawn, get some sun and fresh air). I'm waiting for some PIII parts to show up, so that will probably be next. Either that or I continue on with upgrading my Hobby Engine M1A1 using the AFV Model kit.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
googlydoogly

That's some fine, fine work you did there. The red numerals worked real well with the weathering you did. I hope my Tiger would look half as decent as yours when i'm done re-painting it.

And be careful when you buy a Panther.

And I agree. The Tamiya decals are way too thick. Have you checked out dry transfer decals? They work wonders on rough, unever surface, and you do not need to apply a glossy surface on your tank!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:24 AM
chilipiper

Thanks Googly!

I had thought of using dry transfers, but I wasn't able to find the ones I wanted. Maybe they're out there and I missed them? I also thought of making my own decals. I tried it on the pink tank and it worked great. I went so far as to scan in the kit decal sheet to work from,but in the end it would have taken me as long or longer to finish the graphics work and make them than I spent making the kit decals work. But if you've got good graphics to work from, those decal making kits work great!

The Panther is already in the queue... I'm in the process of accumulating goodies for it, while I do some other builds. I'm aware of the kits issues and I've stocked up on the appropriate parts to correct them.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:07 AM
googlydoogly

Archer transfers made a decal set for Tiger 323 of the s.pz.abt. 503 (Kursk), and it has all the balkenkreuz you need. I used these to apply the balkenkreuz on the side of the turret when I did Tiger 334. I tried using the Tamiya decals, but got frustrated because applying decals over the side vision slits was really really....frustrating.

But I'm amazed how yours look. It looks painted on! This build makes me want to build another Tiger, with all the bells and whistles you put on yours.

And about the Panther...

I meant you best be careful, because the original Tiger 332 was knocked out accidentally by a Panther. You don't want to repeat history in this case.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 AM
TigerI

Thanks Chili for a great build on your Tiger! Learned a lot about building and weathering and have your build bokmarked for reference. The final weathering really toned down the green and made it look like a real battletank instead of a new tank. I guess I'll have to pick up some of those MIG pigments as the lower hull on your tank looks awesome. Thanks again for an terrific build!!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:15 AM
chilipiper

Googly,
I did look on Archer's web site, but I guess I missed them. Putting the balkenkreuz on the sides of the turret was really "fun", given how thick Tamiya's decals are. Eventually they did settle down and behave, though. On the Panther... don't mind me, just having a "duh" moment. Where's my coffee...

Tiger 1,
Thanks for the kind words. I hope to see pics of yours soon.