Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/6 Tiger I build

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:44 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1/6 Tiger I build

This is the story from the beginning http://uktankclub.star-one.co.uk/php...pic.php?t=2706

Aug 2008
It’s been over a year since the Tiger build was put on hold while we went living abroad, recently this has been dug out and work has resumed more parts have been accumulated for the build I will talk about them as and when they are added to the build.

Last year I chose to change the upper deck being a fussy git some things I personally wasn’t happy with so I chose to change them since then Mark 1 Tanks has had the Tiger completely revamped and addressed the issues that I wanted to change, thanks Mark wait till I get started then have the thing revamped you could have saved me a lot of work though the new deck and turret are much better now engine deck is also a vast improvement just shows time doesn’t stand still.

Work so far all upper wanne is 5mm alloy 6082 measured from scale drawings and cut by hand, the glacis has scale thickness 16mm achieved by laminating the alloy this was also done to the side armour deck is also 5mm alloy over scale I know but this was done to achieve a rigid deck and save weight over steel
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1641.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2239087

Name:	DSCF1642.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	2239088

Name:	DSCF1640.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	2239089

When finished the Tiger will have the turret number 134 of SS Schwere Panzer Abteilung 102 from the Normandy campaign this is following on from my last Tiger 211 of the same Abteilung, several years ago I built 134 in 1/16 scale

Name:	DSCF0009.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	2239090

More as soon as there is something worth looking at
Old 09-14-2008, 07:05 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/6 Tiger I build

Looks good rivitcounter,kind of a waste on this forum though.There are a few here who like the bigger scale,me being one of them.Thanks for showing your work. BIGMIG
Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM
DAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work. Keep posting. Its about time some more 1/6th is showing up.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Not a waste at all! I like to see all scales here, it's just that 1/6th is not very affordable. Bring on more pictures! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-14-2008, 10:14 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the 1/6 tanks are kind of like all the rest,depends on what you like and how much you want to spend.I look at the 21 st.Century as kind of like the HL tanks,and the metal version 1/6 models as being like the Tamiya.There are still a fair ammount of the 1/6 stuarts being sold around 200 to 250 Dollars,and the starting metal kits that I have seen start out at around 450 to 600 Dollars.Seeing some guys paid around 200 dollars for the 1/16 matorro KT and I think a bottom end starting price for a 1/16 Tamiya somewhere around 450 dollars and up.So I don't think price is the defining factor when it comes to the bigger scale.
BIGMIG

P.S. does anyone think that 200 dollars is too much money for a tank of the size of the 1/6 stuart.???If so what could you buy to compare it to for it's size and it's readyness right out of the box.??
Old 09-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rivetcounter,
I think that looks awesome. Don't let anyone try to convince you not to post here! Could you please load a few more pictures? What kind of kit did you start with? Interested to see what it uses for motors/ESC.
Perry
Old 09-14-2008, 10:45 PM
googlydoogly

Looking great! How heavy is this sucker gonna be once it's all done?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 AM
rivetcounter

Thanks for the replies lads, I have had quite a few 1/16 tanks mostly Tamiya and I'm part of the UKTC, quite a few of the members have 1/6 tanks and a few have 1/4.

This is a tank supplied by Mark 1 Tanks http://www.mark-1-tank.co.uk/ these are usually supplied as fully rolling models but you can get the bare tank and the take things from there, they are made of GRP with metal running gear the basic tank will set you back £2700 that includes metal tacks and motors then the sky is the limit on detail parts from Armourpax, Dragon, Mike Stannard, Steve Winston, and a few other companies you will also have to add sound and radio gear as for the sound there are 3 options first is one supplied by Mark 1 Tanks this includes speed controllers for the tracks and gun elevation and has full engine start up shut down, main gun sound MG sound and flash in fact this unit is very similar to Tamiya's DMD then there is the Tamiya system which can be used with an amplifier and bigger speakers this I have done to other 1/6 tanks and works quite well then there is the Tomas Bennadini system this is the one I will be using this is considered the Rolls Royce of sound units. weight wise it takes two people to lift this tank so you tend to have ramps to drive the tank up or a hydraulic lift, the alloy body is all scratch built so takes time to measure out and cut so this wont be done fast one thing about 1/6 scale is the detail stands out quite a lot and the tank is bigger t work on and easier to get all your parts inside.

I have bought all the parts that I need for this build apart from the battery all in this has so far cost me over £5500 that's nearly $11000.

Give me another week and the engine deck will be done
Old 09-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I know REAL 1/6 tanks can wrap up a good amount of dough in them. Not bad for their size and features! My hobby room was entended for only 1/16. There's no way I have room for these monsters!

Can't wait to see more!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:10 AM
971wright

Hi There rivetcounter How much were the tracks and sprocket always wanted to build a large scale tank but its the price of these that stop me cant see a way of making them myself could make the body and mechaincs but no way of casting tracks .Doing a lovely job there now I know why you have the nickname did you use a vanmar for the c/sk you have done a lot of work on this tank and still a lot to do .

regards pete
Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 AM
rivetcounter

Pete, If you want to but the tracks separate they are about £600, I bought the whole tank then started again on the upper body as there where parts that I just didn't like and for me there would be no living with them.

All the 1/16 tanks that I have built when I have toted up the cost for tracks, 3:1 gear reductions, PE parts and all the detail up grades you can buy usually cost £800-1000 and a basic Mark 1 tank will set you back about £3300 I see the 1/6 as cost effective OK I have had around 12 of the smaller tanks and for the money they have cost me I could easily of had 2 of the 1/6 tanks, but then this is the second 1/6 Tiger that I have owned the first now belongs to a guy in France.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 AM
rivetcounter

I have been working on the main deck and engine deck for the engine grills I used Armourtek the engine grills where modified I also used Armourtek’s PE engine mesh this was also modified with the smaller mesh under the main mesh on the front grills, the engine hatch, hinges, round vent, air intake and handles are all scratch built also note the hatch stops in the correct position

Next up was the filler caps the Armourtek fillers are cast into the vents these where machined off and new ones where and new ones made these are useful I will have the feed to my smoke unit under one of these fillers, If anyone is interested I can get more of these made they where £8 each £32 for a set of 4

This little part in green was scratch built again the original part was cast and didn’t look right so off it came

Drivers visor and kugelblende (MG ball) are Armourtek, kugelblende was modified with a Dermal, armoured MG34 is by Armourpax

I used an Armourtek main deck as a template for my own deck; this was cut into a split deck so that the vents sit at the correct height also the engine vent section can be removed without removing the main deck and turret
Old 09-23-2008, 11:27 AM
smittyrob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fantastic work, love the screens. Wish I had one.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:26 PM
971wright

Hi there nice job would love to see the inside see how the suspension and gearboxes are done think on next time the lid is off

regards pete

P.S. will it have a blank firing gun installed
Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
icemonkey

very nice ,saw the mark 1 tanks at the war and peace show this year ,alot of tank for your money, you could live in the 1/4 scale tiger !!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:09 PM
rivetcounter

Pete,
I will take a few pictures of the inside when the gear boxes go back in but this wont be for a little while yet as for fitting a blank firing gun in the Tiger for me this is a no, blank guns tend to go with a crack not a boom they are banned from a lot of shows and biggest of all fall right smack into the violent crime reduction bill with all the hysteria on gun crime in England I don't think fitting one would be wise that and the Benadini sound system has a really good MG34 and 88 gun sound and you don't have to mess around carrying ammo and loading the thing every 8 shots
Old 09-24-2008, 07:28 AM
971wright

Dont forget to paint the blank firing unit pink paint someone (I think it was Rob) told me if its pink its ok at the momment dumb law its to do with people reactivating blank firing guns. check with Mark he should be upto date with the law.

regards pete
Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 AM
rivetcounter

Pete, if you have one of the old guns that was originally black or silver it's illegal to paint it pink, blue, green or orange only new guns can be bought pre painted and come with a certificate of authenticity also none of the old guns may be sold on only new painted and certified guns may be sold on if you do sell and get caught you may as well be selling the real thing and will probably serve a long prison sentence up to 10 years, Ignorance is not a defence with gun crime as it is in England you can guarantee the law will look for a soft target so they look as though they are doing something about all the IRA weapons that have been "put beyond use" [:@]
Old 09-06-2009, 03:48 PM
rivetcounter

Well March 09 has been and gone and the Tiger is still nowhere near finished this was the original completion date, we have also moved back to Belgium again since my last post and moved again since then this time only a few miles away to a different house only this time we will be staying hear for a few years, the Tiger has once again been unpacked and work will start again the Tiger is in “workshop 2” I also have with me 95% of the parts to complete the build, hear are a few pictures of “Workshop 2” the bench for the Tiger is the packing case turned on it’s side.

This is one of the drive sprockets I modified before I left England this I did on Lee Sellers, lathe the cone bolts and modified etch are from Armourtek the small bolt is a 12BA I will post more pictures as the build progresses.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice watching this come along. I am glad you continued to post this topic on this forum. When I look at my growing collection of 1/16 scale tanks, I am starting to think that maybe a 1/6 panther and a 1/6 Sherman is really all I need to enjoy this hobby. Threads like this expand the experience and get one to thinking.!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:24 PM
googlydoogly

This is fantastic!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 AM
rivetcounter

Thanks for the input I will be posting more pictures when I get a bit more time
Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 AM
rivetcounter

hear are some Armourtek armoured final drive guards fitted to my Mark 1 Tiger along with modified Mark 1 sprockets and hull extensions not quite finished on this picture, for those with keen eyes there is a scratch built front mudguard hook and bracket along with various weld lines.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
thebronze

Tres Kool....Keep the updates coming
Old 09-13-2009, 01:24 PM
rivetcounter

Hear are some more pictures of the engine deck finally completed this part is a modified Armoutek part with countersunk holes for the square head bolts so they can sit correctly, also notice the casting numbers these where taken from an earlier Tiger as I haven’t got any clear pictures of the Saumur Tiger so this may be changed, also notice the modified Armourtek rear engine grill with mesh, now take a close look at the hinges you will notice the 12ba screws to hold the hinge pins in place.

Notice the casting numbers on the large snorkel cover.

Removable fuel/water filler caps I made these last year the idea is to use one as a feed for the smoker

The complete engine deck fitted and primed, the main deck is a separate part and can be removed without removing the engine deck

And with all the hatches and vents open, the engine hatch is 90% scratch built though it does have Armourtek hatch stays and modified hook

With the resin HL230 engine dropped into place this may or my not be fitted depending on room when all the electrics and speakers are fitted

This is a close up of the front mud guard retaining hooks another scratch built part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.