Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Gearset breakin in HL PZKW III

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Gearset breakin in HL PZKW III

Old 11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
fsciorelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearset breakin in HL PZKW III

Now that I got my HL PZKW III mainboard R&R'd, I really want to do the proper gearset break in. I read that toothpaste can be used. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the procedure? Can I leave the gearset in tank hull to do this?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:27 PM
jakeand

Default RE: Gearset breakin in HL PZKW III

Hi,

FAQ post#20

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5760954/tm.htm

Regards

Jake
Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
bubbajoexx

dont wast your time what you need to do with anyHL gearbox is remove it from the tank take it apart square up the sides as the bends are not perfect 90 degrees the reasemble the gearbox add a good lube and your ready to run once they are squared up they run perfect no noise and as smooth as a clock
Old 11-25-2008, 04:44 PM
fsciorelli

Thanks for pointing the way
Old 11-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about that bubba. I have had a couple that worked OK after squaring but the majority benefitted substantially from a good breakin. I used Lava liquid soap. I would recommend affixing the bushings somehow, solder or epoxy as you have shown in the past. Sometimes they rotate in the sheet metal. Occasionally thin washers can be used to shim particular gears that may have a lot of lateral sloppiness.
Perry
Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
bubbajoexx

out of 10 sets I have never had a set that where square and everone that I have squared up work great super smooth and I do agree that giving them a good run with very little lube helps smooth them even more the worst thing is the bushings soldering them into place is the best thing you can do I have tried epoxy and found under heavey use the epoxy does not like brass as the ascids in the brass brakes down the epoxy as it dose with paint and heat dose not help as well anoth way to afix the bushings is to use a small punch and punch each bushing hole with a small punch mark the reinstall the bushing and the mark locks them into place using compound or tooth past you will get this into the bushings and premature there ware and take the crome of the shafts just a good blueprint is enought to get a good running gearbox
Old 11-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Bubbajoexx is right. Plus, if you are intent on using a gear setting compound (like toothpaste) make sure it stays on the face of the teeth, not around any bushings or spacers. Actually, pre-lubing everything and putting voltage to the motors and break them in forwards and reverse is good enough.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:43 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run some abrasive hand cleaner through mine. I have found that it always reduces friction. I completely wash the abrasive hand cleaner out with water, and then relube everthing. Squaring up the towers and shiming the gears with washers to reduce any slop and you will have gears that are quiet and smooth.