Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Tiger startup problem

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Tiger startup problem

Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
astralscooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Tiger startup problem

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, which I found searching the web for info on why my Tamiya Tiger I won't start. Seems like I've found the right place for such a question

Anyway, I have been busy at work superdetailing my Tiger for quite some time now (I'm using the massive ABER photoetch package plus a fair bit of scracth), but today it was time to check the R/C equipment again. Charged the batteries and connected everyting. Turned the radio on and flipped the power switch in the tank, but no engine startup, no nothing.

The MF-01 is flashing green, while the T-03 has both drive indicators flashing orange. The error checklist in the user manual doesn't seem to cover this (or the suggested errors checks out OK), so I was thinking perhaps someone here had had the same problem?

I checked the radio and receiver independently, and they work well.

I have operated the tank (in a somewhat "dry fitted" setup) earlier with no problems, but is now quite some time ago. But all the R/C equipment has been safely stored.

Any info is very much appreciated! Thanks.

Best Regards,

Arild (Oslo, Norway)

PS Images of my project may be browsed here, if anyone's interested: [link]http://astralscooter.com/mygallery/gallery.aspx?id=947484[/link]
Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tamiya Tiger startup problem

Did you check the magnetos? Make sure the fuel was getting to the carburetors?

Ok, just kidding! Come on guys, help this fellow tanker out! I'd be glad to help but I have no working knowledge of Tamiya systems. Streetsquid where are ya?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
chilipiper

Hi Arild,
I've been following your build on Planet Armor for some time now and I am most impressed with the level of detail on your build. I used a bunch of the Aber stuff on my Tiger, but a lot of it was just too small for me to work with. Can't wait to see it finished.

Anyway, I have a few of things you can try:
1) Check all your electrical connections, particularly your receiver connections. If no signal is getting to the receiver (external antenna connection) or if no signal is going from the receiver to the DMD (receiver connections) then you might see the symptoms you describe.
2) Did you try to repeat the DMD set up procedure on page 18?
3) Are the transmitter and receiver using the same frequency and are both crystals seated tightly?
4) Batteries: are the batteries in your transmitter good?
5) Are you running the dual battery setup or a single battery? If you are running the dual batteries are they both charged? Are they both functioning properly?

Hopefully one of these suggestions will work for you.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:41 AM
astralscooter

ORIGINAL: chilipiper
I've been following your build on Planet Armor for some time now and I am most impressed with the level of detail on your build. I used a bunch of the Aber stuff on my Tiger, but a lot of it was just too small for me to work with. Can't wait to see it finished.
Thanks. My planetArmor thread is long overdue for an update I think. Been doing quite a bit over the Xmas holidays. Would such a build thread be of interest on this forum, BTW?

I'll try and go through your list, but I think I have covered most of your suggestions. There's a few too many variables at this point, but I'll try to pin them down. The transmitter batteries are fine, or at least the power indicator says so. No problem with the crystals, as I was able to run my old regular servos with it in an independent setup.

I have the dual battery setup (this being the 56010 Full Option Kit), and there could be the batteries of course. The voltage of the batteries measured out differently last night for some reason. That is, when fairly fresh off the charger, one was 7.2 V and the other 8.2 V (although the batteries are supposed to be identical). After trying various things, one of the batteries had dropped below 6 V. Maybe I need to fully discharge them and recharge. They've been in storage for a long time.

I tried to reset the DMD and then follow the instructions on page 18 twice, but no luck.

One thing I failed to mention last night (I guess I chickened out, feeling stupid), was that I had made a modification to two of the wires for the motors. Since I'm superdetailing this kit, I have found that it will eventually wind up as more of a static model, than a drivable one, yet I want to be able to run the tower and hear the noises. For most of the time, the tank will be on display with accurate resin tracks, and consequently I wanted to be sure I didn't drive it by accident after power-on. Therefore I installed switches on two of the motor wires, to be able to switch the motors off (rather than disconnecting them, which would be much harder to do with everything installed (and the hull deck glued firmly in place).

My fear is that the heat from soldering the switches, may have toasted the electronics of the DMD, but then again, I would have expected it not to flash any indicators at all?

A friend of mine's got a Full Option Pershing, so I'll ask him if I may borrow his DMD for testing. In case it is the DMD, I'd like to know before shelling out the not quite insignificant expense... or try other things. Would be very useful to know for a fact that the radio gear is good, batteries are good etc.

But the orange flashing of both drive indicators must mean something. To someone. If only to a Tamiya engineer?

Arild
Old 01-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Monotheist

ORIGINAL: astralscooter But the orange flashing of both drive indicators must mean something. To someone. If only to a Tamiya engineer?
According to my Sherm manual blinking orange indicators means either a dead receiver or transmitter.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 AM
astralscooter

Thanks,

need to go through the connections again, and try a fresh set of batteries etc, I suppose.

If anyone's interested in the build itself thus far, I've just updated my planetArmor thread:

[link]http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4627[/link]

Arild
Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 AM
astralscooter

Checked the radio again last night. tried a separate setup running regular servos using the receiver and it's original power supply. 1 of 4 channels working, the rest was dead. That certainly explains the non-responding DMD, but I could swear that I tried same radio setup earlier, with success. Must have been a dream, then.

So I'll borrow another radio and check things out.

Arild