Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Took my HL Tiger outside for the first time..Problem!

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Took my HL Tiger outside for the first time..Problem!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:50 PM
timslocum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took my HL Tiger outside for the first time..Problem!

I took my new HL Tiger out in the back yard. The only obsticles were leaves. After about 10min the right track started sticking/binding. I took the tank inside and took the tracks and top off. This is the first time I've had the top off. Wow, was crapy workmanship! There was a screw missing from the gearbox base and one missing from one of the braces that hold the two sides of the gearbox together. After checking , I found that several of the other screws were loose. Does anyone know what size screws hold the gearbox to the tank floor?? I went to my local hardware store and they really didnt have an exact match. I really hope that once I get the screws installed it will solve the problem. Anything you can think of that I need to do while I have the top off? The gun fires only about 60%of the times I push the stick forward. On a positive note, the tank is equiped with the steel reinforcement strips behind the suspension.

If the smoke unit is empty, how many drops of smoke fluid should you add at a time??
Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
fsciorelli

Default RE: Took my HL Tiger outside for the first time..Problem!

Hate to say it, but after the same type of quality isuees with my PZIII, every new HL tank needs to be diassembled, inspected, and undergo a certain amount of break in by the owner.

My wife is from Russia and I spent about 5 yrs on and off there on business. One thing I found out about is that all the smart buyers of Ladas would buy there new car, take it home, and go through it with a fine tooth comb. Sound familiar?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:14 PM
timslocum

How true fsciorelli. One thing I noticed with my tank open was how simple to work on it is. Probably good thing as I have a feeling I'll be working on it alot.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I seldom even run a Heng long out of the box. Usually straight to the bench for a quality inspection. Most times they have been pretty good, but I have had the odd one with a factory issue. They are simple and that is what makes them so appealing. Nothing you can't fix.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 PM
timslocum

Unless your missing a screw and cant find the right size at your local hardware store.[:@]
Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 PM
AL D

I took my HL Tiger I out in the back yard today. The only obstacles were 5 trillion billion snowflakes. Good thing I do not have winter camo on yet or it would most likely still be there!

Bunts
Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: timslocum

The gun fires only about 60%of the times
Your not using the BB's that came with it are you?

They're junk and can damage the airsoft gun.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:09 PM
timslocum

Nope, Im using Crossman .12g glow n the dark.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 PM
B/Man

When my smoke unit stopped working I opened my tank up to check it out and found a rogue screw had become lodged in the pump arm causing someting to burn out (haven't figured out what yet but a new board didn't fix it). I can't find where the screw came from so can only assume it was dropped in there during assembly so it might also be worthwhile having a look for them as well during the initial check.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 PM
torpedochief

Hey Bman

Those smokers are so fragile. You can do one of two things. Easiest and in the long run cheapest is to replace the unit. I think they are $12 US for two units. I windered why they offered two, but I found out why.

The other thing you can do is carefully open the unit along the plastic seam. Remove the cotton and you will see what looks like a cotton wick. That is what it is, a wick. Carefully peel back the material till you find the small wire heat element. Somewhere the element has burned in two. See if you can reconnect it. I tried it once and it worked fine. Tried it again and ended up buying a new unit anyway.

Good luck and we're all in this together!

Don
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Friday tank, did you and DAP order yours at the same time from the same people?
The screws are M3s. I told you HL wanted you to get the full realistic effect of tank ownership. How many Tiger's do you think the crews picked up at the factory and went right into combat with them? Only the first few, their tanks were lost! Panther's were the same way.

One of my PZIIIs had spare wheels jammed inside the board when I opened it up for the first time.

The BBs are gravity fed, sometimes you can shoot and another round won't load right away if the magazine is fairly empty and you're bouncing it around the yard. Might as well take the airsoft unit apart now, check for "flash" where the ammo loads and secure the rubber bushing inside the breach with a dab of CA.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:51 AM
B/Man

Thanks for the advice Don, I think I will end up replacing the unit because as you said they are cheap.

I think it might be more than just the wick with this one because when I installed an RX-14 board (it had a 13 previously) and fired up the smoker a thin wisp of white smoke came from the board. I'm guessing something in the unit is burnt out but I don't know much about that fancy electricity stuff so a new unit will be quicker and easier. Other than that little breakdown I'm having a top time mucking around with my Panzer IV . My wife thinks I'm a major nerd for buying one but I work in I.T so i'm used to that and now I just have to figure out a way of sneaking a couple more tanks past her.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deliver them to work and then paint them all the same color!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 AM
andicog

Well I got my Tiger around Christmas time, faulty gearbox and sticking turret, I was dubious about taking it back to shop as it was a late one with bolt on wheels, corrected pistol port etc, after waiting for the dealers delivery I took it back oonly to find they will be out of stock for some time. Got a refund and bought one from E Bay, for 79.00 pounds (only 10 more than I paid originally ) I got metal gearboxes, metal tracks and drive sprockets, opened it up and ran gears in, so many loose or stripped screws and metal drive wheels were hanging off ! Was pleasently suprised to find this one has all the details corrected ( even the gun mantlet ) and it has latest control board too. runs great now but really is a shame that they dont spend a little more on quality control, also a shame that my local Model Zone carry no spares, upgrades or accessories for Heng Long and were suprised after I informed them about the amount of stuff thats out there for these On-A-Budget Tanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86162.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1105455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25698.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1105456  
Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that an IR or airsoft tank?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 PM
andicog

Its airsoft.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: B/Man

I just have to figure out a way of sneaking a couple more tanks past her.
Fortunatly the PzIV looks like my PzIII's so I had no problems sneaking that one in. Though I don't know how I'm going to get my King Tiger past security[]
Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM
timslocum

Well, I found out what the real problem was. One of the metal gears is out of round, which means that it doesnt even make contact with the other gear about 30% of the time!! Man, those metal gears are JUNK!! They look like they where sand cast by a 2year old. I guess I'll spend some more money and get the machine cut steel gearset. I hear they are nice. Sure hate to spend more money just to get this thing to run reliably. While the tank is down for repairs, it will give me time to detail, paint, weather etc. Question was the muzzel brake painted black or was it black from firing?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
rgallant

Germans often painted the gun muzzles black. But you an go either way, it was not hard and fast.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:42 PM
timslocum

I got ahold of RC Command, I want to tell you guys that RC Command has great customer service. If problems come up, they take care of it.