Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What IR System should I buy????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What IR System should I buy????

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
blitzkrieg65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What IR System should I buy????

Hey Guys,,

This can be a confusing hobby at times and I have responded to a few guys who want to get into IR battling! Below is a break down of the systems and the main difference between the New Heng long system,, that is Phony in my opinion and the Tamiya IR standard that is used by 98 percent of the CLubs! The question came to me about the accuracy of the IR beam but I go into some exlanation for you and you decide!

Now the IR beam is not just a spread it is more like a tip of a throwing spear! It goes from narrow to wide and then narrow again, there is a range where you can hit someone with 15 -20 degrees angle, but that is fairly close up, and we make shots of 40 feet and further,, so you cannot be 20 degrees off on that shot, you won't hit anyone! There is also the tank itself out side of 15 feet your apple at the 4 corners cannot be hit,, if that is facing the enemy,, so although you are not in a kill position for your turret, it is possible to defend your self if you see the direction the shot is coming from!
The other real cool factor is that you progressively die,, after so many shots and each tank can take and give hits at a different rate depending on the there weight class Heavy 9 hits,, medium 6 hits and light armored vehicles 3 hits.,,, and the reload time is the same as the number of hits it takes to kill them as well,, so the Panzer III and Sherman’s are medium tanks and die after 6 hits but they can shoot a round once every 6 seconds compare to the king Tiger or the Pershing once every 9 seconds! Each hit is register by lights lighting up and a hit sound, your power gets progressively weaker, until you cannot move and you out!

The Heng long IR is 5 hits No matter what Tank you buy, and the tank does not grow Weaker progressively! A lot of guys do not realize this![:-][]

The IR battle system I described is a Tamiya compatible system so all below react the same way same specs, even playing field.

Tamiya

EL MOD (Can be used on or with heng long tanks & electronics) Tamiya compatible IR Battle system and ultra realism drive and sound system!

DBC/DBU (After Market kit, Tamiya compatible IR Battle system, specifically designed for Heng long works with heng long stock radio)

DBCRC2/DBU (After Market Kit, Tamiya compatible IR Battle system specifically designed for Heng long tanks but give you the ability to use Hobby Radio,, Futaba, Hitec, Spektrum,, etc,,,,)

The Blitz

Old 10-27-2009, 01:37 PM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: What IR System should I buy????

Here is a good chart showing the "spear" and ballooning in the signal dispersion:

http://www.sead.us/technology.html
Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 PM
SCAT PATTON

The Heng long IR is 5 hits No matter what Tank you buy, and the tank does not grow Weaker progressively! A lot of guys do not realize this!

Thanks Blitz; I was afraid it would be somthing like this. Its better than nothing but will need to be checked out and kicked around as a club. If it provides an advantage over the Tamiya system I dont think it will fly in a club where everyone has invested a lot of money in what is likely to be the better Tamiya sytem.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:10 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: SCAT PATTON

The Heng long IR is 5 hits No matter what Tank you buy, and the tank does not grow Weaker progressively! A lot of guys do not realize this!

Thanks Blitz; I was afraid it would be somthing like this. Its better than nothing but will need to be checked out and kicked around as a club. If it provides an advantage over the Tamiya system I dont think it will fly in a club where everyone has invested a lot of money in what is likely to be the better Tamiya sytem.

Hello Steve,

You don't have to worry about Heng long systems battling Tamiya tanks they will not work together,, with Tamiya tanks, they only work with other Heng longs with their own system! So if you have guys asking about it,, and they want to battle in your Club I would still suggest they buy the Heng long IR tank because it has recoil,, flash and an IR LED that can be used! But you need to add all Tamiya electronics or a DBC and or a DBCRC2 which will tank a Tamiya Apple ( TBU ) or use the DBU which I build to RCAN specs or use an EL MOD system but the Heng long IR tanks do come with their Heng long recoil unit, and that is a good start for building your Tamiya comatible tank! Does that make sense?

The Blitz
Old 10-27-2009, 02:19 PM
SCAT PATTON

10/4 Blitz, thanks for the heads-up!

Hope to see you at the November 8th battle.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the Heng Long system is inferior to the DBC and Tamiya.

The thing though is it is cheap, and for a couple of neighbors goofing off in the back yard, it might be all you ever need, and that is it's stength. Not everyone has the opportunity to be involved in a big club. The sad part is, for a couple of bucks more they could have done it up right.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Good link, Eric. I knew of the dispersion of course, and the range. I use the RCACN setback rule for the emitter in it's tube, and it works well. I get as much as 35m range from mine, but as stated in the chart, sun conditions affect the range.
I also knew of the HL not slowing down after hits, so for here as we write the rules, HL will not be allowed to fight Tamiya units on the field unless they have complete Tamiya electronics suite installed, and the emitters installed in a tube using the RCACN setback. Hopefully HL will continue their steady progress to better and more sophisticate electronics, and eventually have the hit slow down feature. Until then, in Russia, Byelorus, Krimea, and Ukraine, no dice. One alternative is the "in process" filtering system for the TBU apple. If we get it perfected for the designated purpose, then we may allow HL to compete with us. If successful, it will be reported on western forums, and the reason for doing so.
Photos are of Sov Panther with prototype filter installed in apple.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99577.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1303081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl70247.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1303082  
Old 10-27-2009, 02:48 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: SCAT PATTON

10/4 Blitz, thanks for the heads-up!

Hope to see you at the November 8th battle.

Yes, Thanks Servoblast great info page,, I need some thing like that on my website,![sm=idea.gif]

Hey Steve,

I am definately planning on coming up and I'll be bringing Shermans! Also I will check in with head count, so far 2 of us and maybe my new XO David J, for our little club can make it as well!

The Blitz
Old 10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
sevoblast

Me? Great info page? Naaaa...that was Eric Scott with the link. Good lad hs is, been at this a while, and good at it. I just tossed in about the rules writing process here, and a hint of one little thing we are working on.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:27 PM
spikeitaudi

Great Post Phil. This helped alot.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 PM
SCAT PATTON

YHR - Great points, I agree!

Blitz - Very cool, cant wait to see the new Sherman and meet the new guys!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

Are there any Heng Long Battle System only clubs? I have to agree with YHR that these tanks are one of the best way to get new tankers into the hobby. Do any clubs make any kind of accommodation for them? A Heng Long only night perhaps?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:47 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Me? Great info page? Naaaa...that was Eric Scott with the link. Good lad hs is, been at this a while, and good at it. I just tossed in about the rules writing process here, and a hint of one little thing we are working on.
Ah man,, trying to print some shiping labels, finish Erns KT and check in on the forum! Sorry Eric thanks for the imput and I do areciate all the hard core tankers who where here long before me and are still inovating and leading the charge!

sikeitaudi glad if it helped out, it does get confusing!

Tim,, I think there are some groups working with a heng long hybid IR, I think that is what servoblast is doing,, but I did not want to confuse folks and I know that guys have bought them just for family and close friends fun!

The Blitz
Old 10-27-2009, 05:05 PM
SNOWTANK

I demoed the IR HENGLONG system over the weekend at a show. The main advantage of it is it's cheap, no complextity. Just turn it on, shoot and do it again. Most people just getting into this like this and are not into the Tanks or even aware of the other system. However as I often explained to the public this version is a generic version and fun for the novice battler. If you want to make it more realistic and go further with it the other systems are available .,
Old 10-29-2009, 02:00 AM
HAL_HUSKER

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

HL will not be allowed to fight Tamiya units on the field unless they have complete Tamiya electronics suite installed...
For Battles we splitted (in our Rules) IRBattle Tanks into Classes: Tamiya Class, HLClass and Matorro Class.
But clearly stated that any Tank from any Classes can take a fight with any other from any other Class only in case ofits Battle Sysytem compatibility.In other words youcan have HLTiger-I opposing Tamiya King Tiger but only if theBS are equal(HLupgraded to Tamiya or changed to Impact).
Old 10-29-2009, 02:33 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: HAL_HUSKER

HL will not be allowed to fight Tamiya units on the field unless they have complete Tamiya electronics suite installed...
For Battles we splitted (in our Rules) IR Battle Tanks into Classes: Tamiya Class, HL Class and Matorro Class.
But clearly stated that any Tank from any Classes can take a fight with any other from any other Class only in case of its Battle Sysytem compatibility. In other words you can have HL Tiger-I opposing Tamiya King Tiger but only if the BS are equal (HL upgraded to Tamiya or changed to Impact).

Yes Hal,

There is a hybrid option but it is much easier to keep everyone to one standard even then when it comes to competition questions are raised on tweeked systems!

The Blitz
Old 10-29-2009, 04:14 AM
HAL_HUSKER

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: blitzkrieg65

Yes Hal,

There is a hybrid option but it is much easier to keep everyone to one standard even then when it comes to competition questions are raised on tweeked systems!

The Blitz
Absolutely AGREE, that is why (to keep all to one standard) we splitted into Classes... Tamiya will fight with Tamiya, etc...
Old 10-29-2009, 04:33 AM
sevoblast

That's why we will have inspections for comptetition meets, Blitz. Systems must work and be compatible. IR Emmiter must have a minimum set back in the proper diameter tube, apple must take hits, must have the proper number of fins and be the minimum distance above whichever hatch it is installed in (and nothing is allowed to obstruct the receiver from any side), emitter must generate hits, tank must slow progressively with hits, and die with the proper number of hits. Speeds will have to meet the requirements of the individual tanks. Also, after a competition, the winner tanks will then be killed to make sure they CAN die. That's a little trick I learned in USA the hard way.

If HL comes with a Tam compatible system, and HL does not include the slow down with hits feature, then the rules committee will have to address that problem. Two options will be either filters for the Tam equipt tanks, or mayhap one IFA (Invulnerable Front Armor) tank on the side that does slow with hits.
We are in the infancy here, but we do have the advantage of US experience over the last 6 or so years, so that helps a great deal.

Now, are we going to turn someone away who has travelled a day or two to Mockba or Kiev or Odessa or Sevastopol because they don't pass the inspection? No! First time at one of our meets, you will run what you brought. However, you will be given a copy of the inspection sheet which will show what, if any, modifications are needed to your tank(s) to meet our criteria for your next meet participation.

And a big THANK YOU! to Hal for all the work he is doing in Mockba! It is Hal who is organizing the meet in December, which unfortunately Lean'chka and I can not attend, and the Summer 2010 Kubinka Meet at the Kubinka Museum near Mockba. Hal has graciously offered Visa support for any non-Russians to come to Kubinka Meet. He will send you the needed invitation for you to get a visa from Russian Embassy in DC or the consulates in USA, or your respective countries' Russian Embassy. The visa process is relatively simple, but the formalities must be observed.

Here's a photo of a herd of combat legal tanks here. Notice the variation of lowered receivers, and all have the emitter tube in the mantlet.
Sev

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21085.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1304140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75499.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	1304141  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:21 AM
AL D

ORIGINAL: YHR

Yes the Heng Long system is inferior to the DBC and Tamiya.

The thing though is it is cheap, and for a couple of neighbors goofing off in the back yard, it might be all you ever need, and that is it's stength. Not everyone has the opportunity to be involved in a big club. The sad part is, for a couple of bucks more they could have done it up right.
YHR - you nailed it. I think I am about the only RC Tanker in the area and within 200kms of another tanker, and thats DARKITH up in Fredricton. I am getting a nice collection of HL and Tamiya tanks, so have been having battles with the boys in my back yard over a few Brews. One of the funniest things is IR Battle tank beer races. We race around a course, and each time your HL tank is knocked out, you have to drink a beer. If you win, then you have to drink a beer. Of course, when we use the Tamiya tanks, we try not to ram each other as much and there is less beer drinking during the race. Just proper IR Battle tank beer racing etiquette!

BUNTS
Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 AM
sevoblast

Ahhhh, Bunts, you are bringing back fond memories of about '03 for me...and last year here. With no one to fight, me and VCO have been known to do the same, albeit with a little more care. Good thing the walls around the compound are 3.7m tall now, though, otherwise the neighbors would be confirmed in their suspicions that the "foreign man" is certifiably crazy. We drink the local brew, Slavutovich, which ain't half bad, especially cut with half a lemon squeezed in. 25 cents a bottle, large bottle at that.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
SCAT PATTON

Drop the tanks.....Im down with .25 brews
Old 10-29-2009, 02:40 PM
sevoblast

It aiin't bad brew, either, Patton. Stella, the real thing, is just under 60 cents a big bottle. Not much tax, and no lawyers to pay here.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:22 PM
SCAT PATTON

Wow Cant go wrong there!