Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

rebuild or parts

Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default rebuild or parts

I have an old pantiger that my grand kid drove the snott out of. it is now sitting in my work shop taking up space because i just can't fixit without spending $$$$. this is a list of what is wrong:

drive sprockets both shot. $12.00
both drive sprocket spindle gears (plastic) are split $29.00
tx spring attachment point for turret turn is missing.
tx fire/gun elevation gimbol missing slide contact
the gun has not fired since day one (raiden tech)

i'm thinking this is a parts tank because the cost to repair is very close to a new tank. this was not a smoke & sound tank so getting a tx only is tought.

what are your thoughts? rebuild or attick?

Joe
Old 01-01-2010, 10:48 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rebuild or parts

Get your hands into conversion. Do some modelling and turn it into something you want....might be very pleased at what turns out. [X(] Use different sprockets, turret etc, make your own fantasy tank.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

cut it, shut it and make something out of it!

Google 'Ersatz M10' - I would be willing to bet that you could hide most of the PanTiger's most obvious flaws behind some plasticard and a lick of paint
Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 AM
bananapirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ex_Pat_Tanker

cut it, shut it and make something out of it!

Google 'Ersatz M10' - I would be willing to bet that you could hide most of the PanTiger's most obvious flaws behind some plasticard and a lick of paint
this is the best case scenario and a GREAT idea

if you dont want to spend the money fixing, you could gut it and make it a static model too
Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: paladin

I have an old pantiger that my grand kid drove the snott out of. it is now sitting in my work shop taking up space because i just can't fixit without spending $$$$. this is a list of what is wrong:

drive sprockets both shot. $12.00
both drive sprocket spindle gears (plastic) are split $29.00
tx spring attachment point for turret turn is missing.
tx fire/gun elevation gimbol missing slide contact
the gun has not fired since day one (raiden tech)

i'm thinking this is a parts tank because the cost to repair is very close to a new tank. this was not a smoke & sound tank so getting a tx only is tought.

what are your thoughts? rebuild or attick?

Joe
hi joe,

I bought two Pantigers when they first came out with smoke & sound. I was so sicked by their appearance that I couldn't even bring my self to drive them. I started to make then presentable but stopped when I switched over to Tamiya tanks with battle systems. I have a bunch of parts I will give you for free so that your grandson and you may build fond memories just like I have of my grandfather when I grew up in Queens, NYC. He used to take me all over the City and to America's Hobby Center for trains and models. My two daughters never knew either of their grand dads as they both passed on.
I would like to make you two a happy team again. PM me via this forum and mention Vestal, NY. I go thru there on my way to fish Oneida Lake and the Salmon River. I like the Beaver Kill and Willowemac rivers too.
God Bless, Bob thecommandernj
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91305.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1347026  
Old 01-02-2010, 06:01 PM
pattoncommander

Static model is always fun. Get some interior photos and do a cutaway. I did the Pershing from a gutted HL M-26 for my museum. Add interrior lights, ammo, radios and you have a usefull static display.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kh17344.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1347573   Click image for larger version

Name:	mh19437.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1347574  
Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My son wants to take it to the range and shoot it with a 22lr (about = to 90mm) then set off powder around the holes and all the hatches to give it the burned out look. personally i don't think he or I could shoot just once. the comment "mobile target holder" has been used several times, but again the urge to hit the tank would be to much. my take is it is still spare parts for the tigers we have.

Hopefully with the commanders help i can get it moving again and turn the grand kid loose on it. he's come a long way and does not bash furniture any more. he's been tooling around in my PZIII and we hope he and the PZIII will join us at the mall this year.

Joe
Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 PM
kclank

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Get your hands into conversion. Do some modelling and turn it into something you want....might be very pleased at what turns out. [X(] Use different sprockets, turret etc, make your own fantasy tank.
that is a good idea, or the parts tank thought. just don't toss it!!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:42 PM
1sgt

Palidin,
I also have the Pantiger. I have reworked the front to closer resemble a panther and lengthened the barrel of the main gun and then it was annouced that H an L were comming out with a new panther G. Since then I have stopped work on my panther. Just don't know what to do with it. Believe it or not, but still thingking of finishing it as a Panther. You know, reworking the top deck adjusting the sides ( to wide) and changing the tracks. Probably more $ then a new Panther, but I will gain a bunch of experience in doing so. Then I can ask the Finance Officer ( wife) for $ for the new Panther so they can team up. I just think I answered my own question.