Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My Mato Shermans Tx is broke.

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My Mato Shermans Tx is broke.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 PM
timslocum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Mato Shermans Tx is broke.

I ran my Mato Sherman a total of about 15 min, then it spent the last 3 weeks on the bench getting detailed. I took it out for its post detail spin and the Tx would'nt turn on. The off light will light up but if you slide the switch to the "on" position, the on light wont light up and the Tx does'nt get power. Being a tanker for a year or so, I tried to fix it myself. I took the Tx apart and found that the on/off switch is attached right to the circuitboard. I also found out that once you take the Tx apart, the two red indicator LED's are IMPOSSIBLE to get lined up to fit into their holes on the other half of the Tx. I think Im going to just order another Tx. Im still trying to figure out how they lined up the LEDs at the factory.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:36 PM
BIGMIG

Default RE: My Mato Shermans Tx is broke.

I don't think I have seen any other tank posted on this forum with all the reported problems this tank seems to have.Was this the same tank everyone seemed to be talking about several months back and how great it was going to be and everyone was going to buy several of them.Reminds me of all the hype that was posted on the motorro KT and what a flop it turned out to be.???????? Still trying to figure out whats good about this tank from what I have seen posted here so far.????

BIGMIG ..........????

P.S. Be interesting to know how many members here actually bought them.............I know a few guys have.You don't hear much of the Matorro KT on here anymore.??? I allways thought they were a good looking tank but seemed to be a basket case inside them from most of the posts on here.?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I AINT SUPRISED
Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Alex4182

I had the same problem with mine then Irealized I plugged the receiver into the wrong 3 pronged port on the brown board. The wires are short and leads you to believe they go in the first available hole but they go to the forward most 3 pronged port. Hope this is all that's wrong with it.

The biggest thing about the Mato sherman is finally having a nice VVSS to work with. I should have kept my Tamiya sherman and retro fitted the mato suspension on that hull but it finally sold right before Igot the mato.

All in all, I think it's a good starter tank that has some serious potential once some newer upgrade parts come out for it.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:07 AM
calvinlo

I bought one...and it is stilll running.

I've since upgraded the speaker, lower the turret and replaced the oversized barrel with the 76mm barrel from my old T-34/85. Now I just waiting for the metal upgrades to appear.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

I don't think I have seen any other tank posted on this forum with all the reported problems this tank seems to have.Was this the same tank everyone seemed to be talking about several months back and how great it was going to be and everyone was going to buy several of them.Reminds me of all the hype that was posted on the motorro KT and what a flop it turned out to be.???????? Still trying to figure out whats good about this tank from what I have seen posted here so far.????

BIGMIG ..........????

P.S. Be interesting to know how many members here actually bought them.............I know a few guys have.You don't hear much of the Matorro KT on here anymore.??? I allways thought they were a good looking tank but seemed to be a basket case inside them from most of the posts on here.?

Really????? What about all those early Heng Long problems 3 years ago.

Here is what is good about this tank

Rock solid tracks, Durable and will stand up
WSS suspension. Easy to mod to make fully functional
Cast Hull and T23 turret.
Split ring hatch
Opening hatches

It is a really good parts tank to mate with a Tamiya Sherman to enable you to build many versions of Sherman.

Really, the only thing questionable about it is the electronics. Kind of like Heng longs first tanks. Throw in an RX 18 and the one weak issue is resolved. The electronics is a good design, but poorly manufactured. The one button action that fires the airsoft, and triggers the recoil and gun sound was a really slick idea for guys who like airsoft. The removable sound cob is another great idea that shows promise of being able to change the sounds for different models of tank . So if they fine tune and improve the boards there is a good chance for some great developments in the future. That is my objective opinion.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with YHR, even with spotty electronics its still a good project, kinda reminds me of the Sturmtiger in terms of good product but weak electronics but still worth $130.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM
timslocum

Dont get me wrong, this is only a small problem and I love my Mato Sherman. I'll have pictures soon. Im going to give another shot at repairing the Tx tonight.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a Matorro KT and I love it.

OK the electronics could be better but it's a great tank for the price and a HL electronics swap isn't that expensive.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
SNOWTANK

BIGMIG ..........????

Bigmig there have been many posts here on how good the Mato Sherman. I haven't had a single issue with mine to date. Like a lot of new Tanks with a huge interest a lot of hype is generated and when issues crop up a lot of people tend to look for the negative posts only and overlook the good posts on a tank. I have yet to see one perfect Tank here on the forum. All at some point have had an issue at one time or another. Some More than others. A lot depends on many many factors ranging from obvious such as poor assembly to bad handling during shipping to improper use of the Tank and many many others from mods made to the original components from inexperienced hands. KT is another example of a Tank overhyped. Not a great Tank out of thebox as far as electronics go but a nice looking tank but nice doesn't cut it alone when you shell out over 200.00 for the Tank and it has bad sound and range with plastic gears, woefuly slow turret. I buy another one to mod but not for the price Mato charges now for it. Yes the price has gone up on this Tank. Probalby because it;s a "KING TIGER" I have however since resolved the KT's issues with a HL upgrade and it's been great. Point is all these Tanks are low end cost and not perfect and will require work at some point or another unless the Tank has been sitting on a shelf and never operated at all. Some people will post a report on a tank but we really don't know if they are being accurate or exaggerating the issues or not telling the whole story as to why a Tank keeps slipping a track. So I take it with an open mind on the Tanks and not get too caught up in the negatism on a particularly tank or the hype with a new one coming out. So far I got 16 of these and most have had issues at one point. Some right out of the box that's been resovled and others that occured after some time of use also resolved. If your having trouble deciding whether to buy the Mato Sherman or other Tanks that's fine but lets not stir up negativity on an overall decent product though not perfect it's not horrible either. i read these post to find constructive critisism on a product first hand. So far it's worked out pretty good. [8D]

Cheers[8D]
Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 PM
timslocum

Update: no luck fixing the Tx, a new one is on the way from Phil. I got some cool stuff from Build a Rama, gas cans, crates, ammo cans etc. They really add something. I would post some pics tonight, but a big snow storm has arrived and I wont be back at the computer for a while.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
SNOWTANK

Do you have a link for build a rama?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 PM
timslocum

Im guessing its www.build-a-rama.com
Old 02-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Turbobearcat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BIGMIG ..........????

Brother..I love my KT and I was the first person on this board in the US who own it!

Mine has been good over the past two years once I made a few changes to the running gear..
Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
BIGMIG

Yup I remember back when you got yours,and your posts when you was waiting to get it.If I recall they were around $199.00 dollars when they came out.Think there was quite a few guys here who bought them at that time.But you don't hear much about them anymore.?Like I say I allways did like the looks of them,but never did buy one.Don't know what they sell for now.??

BIGMIG

P.S. I don't think they lived up to all the hype about them though that everyone was making and all the guys who said they were going to get one.I feel the same way about about this new sherman.Everyone was saying way back they were going to buy one or two of them or more.???? Don't think that has proved to be the case at all.??
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on my third Mato Sherman rebuild
Old 02-28-2010, 03:06 PM
blitzkrieg65

To Big Mig

Hello old friend, on the Sherman 3 different guys have bought 3 or more Shermans from me and at least 4 or 5 guys have bought 2 units from me and multiple guys bought 1 unit. So the guys that were talking about buying did buy and countless others that do no check in on this forum!

Just like the King Tiger we like to work on these tanks, improve them, modify them, there is a definate satisfaction in that just like you did on that old 1/10 scale Hummer you converted to a tracked vehicle!

The Blitz
Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 PM
BIGMIG

Howdy Blitz,
I stand corrected in this case and will take your word for the fact that these may be the up-coming hottest selling RC tanks.

BIGMIG

Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 PM
The_Stuff

had same problem with my tank. i changed out crystals so i could play with a friend. well the controller's rx has to be in there just right or it wont "turn on' the tank. my 2 cents.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM
1sgt

BIGMIG ..........????

BigMig,
I own both. The Sherman has worked well. I did have a bit of a problem with the tank skewwing to the right when it was brand new, but the problem seems to have corrected itself ( I think that the track on the right side was a bit tighter then the left) My sherman actually feel from a shelf of four feet high onto a concrete floor. The only damage was a tail light guard and it snapped a track. I glued the guard back together and used the spare track sections to repair the track, runs like a charm ( knock on wood LOL )
The KT is a good tank other then the small battery( 1500 mah's) Runs much better with a more powerfull battery. For the size though, it is light and has problems in semi high grass. I think some metal gears and tracks would fix that ( I'm still saving for my Panther G so they'll have to waite). All in all, I'm happey with both tanks and the family pets hate them LOL.

Jim
Old 03-06-2010, 02:28 PM
SNOWTANK

ORIGINAL: 1sgt

BIGMIG ..........????

BigMig,
I own both. The Sherman has worked well. I did have a bit of a problem with the tank skewwing to the right when it was brand new, but the problem seems to have corrected itself ( I think that the track on the right side was a bit tighter then the left) My sherman actually feel from a shelf of four feet high onto a concrete floor. The only damage was a tail light guard and it snapped a track. I glued the guard back together and used the spare track sections to repair the track, runs like a charm ( knock on wood LOL )
The KT is a good tank other then the small battery( 1500 mah's) Runs much better with a more powerfull battery. For the size though, it is light and has problems in semi high grass. I think some metal gears and tracks would fix that ( I'm still saving for my Panther G so they'll have to waite). All in all, I'm happey with both tanks and the family pets hate them LOL.

Jim

Hey Jim I ran my KT in semi tall grass for 2hrs. I ran the tank up 35 degree 6ft slopes with 6 ft of flat between the hills. The grass was terraced as an outdoor theater. I went up 4 of these slopes for a good half hour climbed down again and went up a steep hill . The KT fell backwards and rolled 8ft downhill. The only casuality was the TC who lost his arm that was holding the MG. I was using Dreadnought 3000 nimh battery. The Tank being so light I guess it had no issue climbing over the grass.