Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Spare Tiger 1 turret track links...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Spare Tiger 1 turret track links...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
taoJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tiger 1 turret track links...

OK so I went and bought the tiger 1 turret track links and holders, but looking at various picture of real tigers, cant figure out how the hell am I supposed to set these up, on the top holder dont know which hole on what part of the track link I am supposed to use? any body got good pictures and details on how to install these ?
Ibought the set from rccomand if that helps

Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 PM
BiggTony

Default RE: Spare Tiger 1 turret track links...

Hope this helps. http://tiger1.info/EN/TurretTrackHolders.html
Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 PM
taoJ

ORIGINAL: dedmonwakin

Hope this helps. http://tiger1.info/EN/TurretTrackHolders.html
Thanks, but I was already looking at that, the thing with the kit is where is the pin for the upper part supposed to go into the track link?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
BiggTony

Sorry, not familiar with Rccommands track holders. Maybe if you posted a pic of it, it would help. If they are the ones that are often referred to as secondary quality, then Ithink there may be some drilling required.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've put some on. The track links are assembled into a track section with the pins already inserted, and the track link holders are spaced along the turret wall accordingly (five links on the left, two on the right). The top of the track holders is a claw that freely rests over the track. The pins (anchors) are attached to the turret wall, and act as a hook, fitting inside the lower track pin hole on each link. So, you've got to assemble a section of track, and mount it. That's how you know how to get your spacing right. It should look like a section of track hanging on the turret, and not five individual links.

My experience was with a Schumo track hanger kit, and Impact metal late Tiger 1 track links on a Tamiya Tiger 1. If yours are like Impact tracks, the pin heads are in the tracks bass ackwards (pin heads will be down, when they should be up). Also, you need to cut the track pins down to allow for the length of the track hanger. You don't want the pin to protrude out the top after mounting the track. Find a good picture of them installed on a real tank, and you'll see what I'm talking about, pin heads up. On the Impact tracks, the pins come stock inserted into blind holes, to fix, one must drill out each link to insert the pins in from above. Once there are holes on top, everything worked fine. It was some trial and error to get them located just right, but not too bad.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:36 PM
maximus454

I just dropped my spare metal links in place of the dummy ones for now.
When you finish your setup maybe post a pic. I might add the turret ones also.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26396.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1376818  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:00 AM
taoJ

ORIGINAL: Jeff489

I've put some on. The track links are assembled into a track section with the pins already inserted, and the track link holders are spaced along the turret wall accordingly (five links on the left, two on the right). The top of the track holders is a claw that freely rests over the track. The pins (anchors) are attached to the turret wall, and act as a hook, fitting inside the lower track pin hole on each link. So, you've got to assemble a section of track, and mount it. That's how you know how to get your spacing right. It should look like a section of track hanging on the turret, and not five individual links.

My experience was with a Schumo track hanger kit, and Impact metal late Tiger 1 track links on a Tamiya Tiger 1. If yours are like Impact tracks, the pin heads are in the tracks bass ackwards (pin heads will be down, when they should be up). Also, you need to cut the track pins down to allow for the length of the track hanger. You don't want the pin to protrude out the top after mounting the track. Find a good picture of them installed on a real tank, and you'll see what I'm talking about, pin heads up. On the Impact tracks, the pins come stock inserted into blind holes, to fix, one must drill out each link to insert the pins in from above. Once there are holes on top, everything worked fine. It was some trial and error to get them located just right, but not too bad.
Thanks, I think the ones from rccommand are the asiatam ones?, Iunderstand how they are supposed to be , but for my "claw" ones there is a little pin sticking out, Iam guessing I will have to drill the links to mount everything properly, also when you say that the links should be connected like a section of track, how did they manage that with different spacing on the holders? http://tiger1.info/EN/TurretTrackHolders.html
Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this helps you, but take a look.

Name:	om32797.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1376905  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 AM
taoJ

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

I don't know if this helps you, but take a look.
see that's how I was gonna mount mine, but when I look at pictures and specs, that is incorrect?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Jeff489

Thanks, I think the ones from rccommand are the asiatam ones?,Iunderstand how they are supposed to be , but for my "claw" ones thereis a little pin sticking out, Iam guessing I will have to drill thelinks to mount everything properly, also when you say that the linksshould be connected like a section of track, how did they manage thatwith different spacing on the holders? http://tiger1.info/EN/TurretTrackHolders.html
Not sure who makes the Rccommand ones. My track holders didn't have any pins on the claws. As to the research material you quote regarding track spacing, do it how you like. The author's technique and method of spacing is different than my research showed. All the photos from war tanks I could find show the links tightly spaced together like a section of track. The links aren't connected with the pin, but are right up against each other (nearly touching). Of course, maybe I just haven't seen all the pictures there are, so the spaced out tracks might be right too.

When I scratched my late tiger 1, I was pretty authentic...right up to the paint job (which I paint how I like). When I did mine, the linked treads mounted in the track holders were mimicked from an conglomeration of actual photos in books I have of war tanks. The pics were taken during the war. I've got the books to show it. That's the best I can do to be accurate as I certainly wasn't around back then. As to the web reference above, firstly, it appears to be someone else's research, and oddly enough references the same book I also used by Thomas Jentz (however the Jentz book showed the tightly spaced links). Lastly, the pics he's using look like a museum tank, and we all know those aren't always original to a war tank and should be verified accurate before using them as your exemplar.

I've got some pics around here. I'll see if I can find them and show you what I'm talking about.

Either way you go, you'll have a cool tank. Just make it your own, but have your own reason for however you do it.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:58 AM
taoJ

Thanks, I think the ones from rccommand are the asiatam ones?,Iunderstand how they are supposed to be , but for my "claw" ones thereis a little pin sticking out, Iam guessing I will have to drill thelinks to mount everything properly, also when you say that the linksshould be connected like a section of track, how did they manage thatwith different spacing on the holders? http://tiger1.info/EN/TurretTrackHolders.html
Not sure who makes the Rccommand ones. As to the research material you quote regarding track spacing, do it how you like. The author's technique and method of spacing is different than my research showed. All the photos from war tanks I could find show the links tightly spaced together like a section of track. I didn't mean to imply they were connected, just very close together. The links aren't connected with the pin, but are right up against each other (nearly touching). Of course, maybe I just haven't seen all the pictures there are, so the spaced out tracks might be right too.

When I scratched my late tiger 1, I was pretty authentic...right up to the paint job (which I paint how I like). When I did mine, the treads mounted in the track holders were mimicked from an conglomeration of actual photos in books I have of war tanks. The pics were taken during the war. I've got the books to show it. That's the best I can do to be accurate as I certainly wasn't around back then. As to the web reference above, firstly, it appears to be someone else's research, and oddly enough references the same book I also used by Thomas Jentz (however the Jentz book showed the tightly spaced links). Lastly, the pics he's using look like a museum tank, and we all know those aren't always original to a war tank and should be verified accurate before using them as your exemplar.

I've got some pics around here. I'll see if I can find them and show you what I'm talking about.

Either way you go, you'll have a cool tank. Just make it your own, but have your own reason for however you do it.
Sorry I wasnt trying to question you in your suggestion to the proximity to each other for mounting, just kinda curious how they did it if the links where connected as a unit, as for trying to be correct, I am not trying to be perfect , and I know someone will post up on my tank when I am done " you know the link location and spacing yadda yadda is incorrect yadda yadda"
Old 02-12-2010, 03:34 AM
Ern

I bought some a while back and they didn't come with any instructions so I posted on this and another forum. A fine gentlemen in England sent me a template so that I could mount them properly. I'd be glad to pass it along if you want it too. I have a scan he sent saved, but if you want to be sure it's correct I'd be glad to send a photocopy. If you want a copy PM me your address. I was worried about things being out of proportion with printing from an email so he mailed me a direct copy of his in addition to the email attachment.

Please note that the mounting instructions show three track hangers on the right side, when there should only be two...
Ern

Name:	Ge95159.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	1376960  
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Jeff489

No offense taken regarding the locations. I'm a bit thicker skinned than that.

As to rivet counters, you've got the right attitude. I was trying to convey that I feel a bit the same way. I do the best I can, and rivet counters be damned. Tanks just have to make you happy. You seem to have that idea too.Jaques Littlefield perhaps said it best, when discussing the zimmerit on his panther restoration at his last sponsored battleday with BAT, a rivet counter in the audience mentioned that the zimm was way too uniform (most was applied with whatever means was available, and it resulted in non-uniform application). Jaques response was profound. "I know its not period...but I don't care. I like it that way, and its my tank. I can do whatever I want with it."

Ern has a good idea on the template and has graciously offered to help. That would have saved me a few hours on mine. +1 to Ern for helping out here. Thanks Ern.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 AM
taoJ

No offense taken regarding the locations. I'm a bit thicker skinned than that.

As to rivet counters, you've got the right attitude. I was trying to convey that I feel a bit the same way. I do the best I can, and rivet counters be damned. Tanks just have to make you happy. You seem to have that idea too.Jaques Littlefield perhaps said it best, when discussing the zimmerit on his panther restoration at his last sponsored battleday with BAT, a rivet counter in the audience mentioned that the zimm was way too uniform (most was applied with whatever means was available, and it resulted in non-uniform application). Jaques response was profound. "I know its not period...but I don't care. I like it that way, and its my tank. I can do whatever I want with it."

Ern has a good idea on the template and has graciously offered to help. That would have saved me a few hours on mine. +1 to Ern for helping out here. Thanks Ern.
I did the mounting, I ended up using the stock plastic track links, since those matched the metal tracks on my tank, unlike the ones that came in the kit, also eaiser to melt a hole in plastic then to drill a hole in metal, I am happy with the results, Ialso left the link pins, since Iknow that this was a common practice, next thing I gotta do is make the round bar to to the track section on the front hull of the tank, anyone got pics on how the bar was mounted to the hull?