Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Advice on a aftermarket radio and install

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Advice on a aftermarket radio and install

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Savage117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a aftermarket radio and install

Hi all,

Im sure this question has been asked hundreds of times but I cant find it after my many searches in these forums.

Im debating on buying this http://www.xheli.com/exceed-rc-6-ch-...-receiver.html, its cheap, it comes with a receiver, its programmable(Although not in the normal way) and its a 6 channel. Would I just be wasting my money or would I be able to get this to work with the stock control board with a little solder, multimeter, and wiring? If I cant get it to work with the stock board do you think I could hook it into a rx-18 MFU?

If im on a wild goose chase let me know, im on a tight buget and the Spektrum and Fatuba radio and receivers are a bit pricy, and if I can avoid them id like to try, but since I dont have my tanks yet im not sure if its possible. Iv seen lots of you talking about using aftermarket radios for your tanks but havnt seen anything on setting it up in the guts of the tank.

Ihave already ordered this tank, http://w.mawebcenters.com/JHCHobby/e...-shooting.htmlmore for fun than for the hobby, and I intend to get the super metal version of the Walker Bulldog from RCCommand as soon as its in stock, has anyone already hooked their aftermarket radios into these tanks and can give me some advice.

Thank you all, you guys have a great community here, I hope to remain a part of it.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:50 PM
DeadTom

Default RE: Advice on a aftermarket radio and install

Savage117,
Heck give the radio a shot and let us know how it works out for you, very inexpensive harboring on the cheap but it might be just fine.
The tank you purchased looks very cool indeed, I am not familiar with that manufacturer but I have not been into rc tanks all that long.
Good luck with your build, but we do ask that you post pics of your progress for all of our enjoyment.
DT
Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it will work.  That's a hobby grade radio.  The tank you bought takes a proprietary radio, much like a Heng Long tank.  You might want to verify this with Phil at rctankwars.com (blitzkrieg65 on RCU) on this.  There are fixes that may work such as a DBC system.  Phil would know more.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Savage117

Thanx for the answer Jeff489  and DeadTom.

Jeff489: When you say "proprietary radio" do you mean no matter how much soldering or rewiring I do I wont be able to get the hobby radio to work with the above tank? If thats the case do you think I would be able to switch to a rx-18 MFU instead of stock and get it to work that way? Im trying to avoid the DBC, im sure I could get it to work with the above radio, but it is very expensive and im looking for a cheap alternative. Im doing a bit of research before trying this product because I want it to work the first time or at least be salvagable for another attempt or two.

DeadTom:  SNOWTANK already owns one and has a small review on the tank itself on RCU and about what kind of mods he intends for it, that review is what convinced me to purchase it, I intend to keep the outside appearance as stock as possible, im horrible with paint and weathering and I dont want it looking like a gang put camo colored grafiti all over it. I will put pics of the guts when I finish and I might try a tutorial on the build if no one minds and there isnt one already available, although im just learning myself maybe others can learn from my mistakes.

Cheers